Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Anybody know what this is all about?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-06 at 7.39.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-06 at 7.39.40 PM.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 166

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
I think this is the new "Core Location" service in SL. It tried to get your current location based on your ip I guess.

I'm not so sure that this new feature is very well implemented. There is a discussion about this on [URL="http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2133297&start=0&tstart=0]apple forums[/URL].

Tex

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Anybody know what this is all about?

CoreLocation. It attempts to find your locale based on wireless signals it hears. It sends this info to apple to get a response back.

Usually it is only used when you are in the system preference for date/time, or if you use another application that utilizes CoreLocation (very very few at this time).

What were you doing when this came up? Maybe it's just an old request that it never filled because you never allowed it in the first place.

If you want, you can turn off location based services in Sys Pref > Security

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Aside: in unix-based systems, such as OS X, a lot of processes that do stuff in the background are called daemons, and are denoted by a single letter 'd' at the end of the process name.

Just open up Activity Monitor and set the filter to 'All Processes'.

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
What were you doing when this came up? Maybe it's just an old request that it never filled because you never allowed it in the first place.

If you want, you can turn off location based services in Sys Pref > Security

Just browsing the web. It comes up from time to time as does a request to submit diag info from Airport???

Aside: in unix-based systems, such as OS X, a lot of processes that do stuff in the background are called daemons, and are denoted by a single letter 'd' at the end of the process name.

Just open up Activity Monitor and set the filter to 'All Processes'.

Ya, ps aux works in terminal too. I know lots of daemons run. I get a little antsy when they try to connect to the Internet unless I know WHY they're connecting. That's why I run Lil' Snitch.

Thanks for the replies, especially the one about turning it off.

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Here's another one...

Same deal, just browsing around, no particular software running outside of Safari and terminal, and this guy pops up from time to time.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-07 at 11.33.03 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-07 at 11.33.03 PM.png
    63 KB · Views: 95

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Radar is a bug submission repository. It's up to you to let these things through, frankly, I let anything going to apple.com domain go through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.