Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I thought I had it bad when people say I'm tall (6 ft, only 15 years onld), but this guy...cool....
There must be something genetically wrong with him...at least it's not 'desease'

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Poor guy, it sounds like this has been a huge burden for him. Hopefully he'll be able to parlay this media attention into something.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
8' 4" that is what I call tall. At 33 years old, I little puzzled by the statement saying that he is still growing. Normal growth ends at 21 yo. I wonder if they have tested his hormone levels and done an x-ray to see his his epiphysis is till active? epiphysis (ee-PIF-uh-sis) the end part of a long bone separated by the growth plate from the longer shaft - a center of ossification.

Hopefully the notoriety he's getting will assist him to live a better life. Just having the correct clothing is a big item, but also a bed and chair. My main fear would be that he doesn't become a circus type of freak, putting on display. I pray that we have grown past that type of activity.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Next NBA center

If his health isn't to bad it sounds like he is a good candidate for the NBA. Then he wouldn't have any problems with money, and people would love to see him dunk over and block Shaq and others :)

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Regardless of his size, this dude sounds deprressed!

He SHOULD capitalize on his size in Hollywood just so he can buy some damned shoes and take care of his mother!

Sad article.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Nuc said:
If his health isn't to bad it sounds like he is a good candidate for the NBA. Then he wouldn't have any problems with money, and people would love to see him dunk over and block Shaq and others :)

I don't think he'd be able to play - he has a hard time walking as it is....

He should do something why he's able to at least get something out of his being so tall....sad story.

D

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Personally, I think that everyone should send him $5. He diserves more, and it is not like welfare, because it is not his fault. He could certainly use the money, and $5 is not much of a burden.

TEG

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
abe lincoln was like that also.....he kept growing..if he would not have been shot they said he would have been one of the tallest. it is a genetic disorder of the puitartray gland (sp)

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
jackieonasses said:
abe lincoln was like that also.....he kept growing..if he would not have been shot they said he would have been one of the tallest. it is a genetic disorder of the puitartray gland (sp)

I don't think so. Lincoln was only 6'4".

The guy in this story had had pituitary surgery in his teens which caused this (they theorize) Its kinda sad that he has to go through this. He has only a decade or so to go until his heart can't keep up with his size. That is what happened to the last guy like this.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Continued growth after puberty is probably something like acromeglia - Andre the Giant (the wrestler) had it. Your extremities continue to grow, but in most cases it stops eventually.

I can't imagine this guy is ever really comfortable - very sad...

D

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
What an existence. Perhaps someone will sponsor him and get him to the west where he can enjoy life a bit. Being barraged by the media is better than dying a slow death in the middle of nowhere.
At age 14 I was 6'4", and I can remember having pants made (29" waist!), NEVER finding shoes (At 14 I had size 13, now 16) and all that. But what most bothered me was I was not seen as "normal", and my entire existence during those years was summed up by the phrase "How's the weather up there?" and other mind-numbing cliches.
Thank GOD I'm nearing 50 years old, because now I'm going backwards! By 2023 I should be normal.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Les Kern said:
At age 14 I was 6'4", and I can remember having pants made (29" waist!), NEVER finding shoes (At 14 I had size 13, now 16) and all that. But what most bothered me was I was not seen as "normal", and my entire existence during those years was summed up by the phrase "How's the weather up there?" and other mind-numbing cliches.
Thank GOD I'm nearing 50 years old, because now I'm going backwards! By 2023 I should be normal.

I was that size at that age but I was 230. I've spent a decade and a half looking like I was in my mid 20s.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
MongoTheGeek said:
heart attack caused by being so tall.

http://www.andrethegiant.com/

I was 6' 7" when I was 17 also. My growth pattern stopped at 18 6' 8". I also have been called a gentle giant by many.

I hope that he will find joy is life.

Les, I also got ask "How is the weather up there?" Actually for me the more common question, "Do you play basketball?"

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
snooziums said:
Yeah, I feel sorry for him. *sigh* It must be hard.

Well, I am 5'11" and that is tall for a female.

Note pict: http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/eternally/snooziums.jpg I have to lay down to fit into that picture!

When I tried your link on the "Angelfire" icon was visible at the top left. I think that 5' 11" is a nice height for a female. My wife is 6' 1" her whole family is tall. Be proud of your height! ;)

I hope that you can fix the link, would like to see your picture! :)

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
wdlove said:
When I tried your link on the "Angelfire" icon was visible at the top left. I think that 5' 11" is a nice height for a female. My wife is 6' 1" her whole family is tall. Be proud of your height! ;)

I hope that you can fix the link, would like to see your picture! :)

At work we have a shared secretary who is 6'1.

I saw the picture. She is lying in bed and the feet are cut off.

To see the picture type in the url sans picture name. Then go to the picture.

snooziums

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Evergreen State
I guess you have to copy the link and paste it into your Internet browser. Anyways, this is the link to copy and paste: http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/eternally/snooziums.jpg

I know that there are some other tall females, however they are still a bit rare, so I still feel tall. I am taller than over 3/4 of the males that I know or see. *sigh*

However, people of both genders seem to be growing taller these days. 400 years ago the avarage height for Europeans was 4'5" and the high-schoolers these days seem taller then their previous generation.

So maybe there is hope afterall.

With love, snooziums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
snooziums said:
I guess you have to copy the link and paste it into your Internet browser. Anyways, this is the link to copy and paste: http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/eternally/snooziums.jpg

I know that there are some other tall females, however they are still a bit rare, so I still feel tall. I am taller than over 3/4 of the males that I know or see. *sigh*

So maybe there is hope afterall.

With love, snooziums.

Thank you for the link it worked. You are a very nice looking young lady. I'm confident that you will find someone special, just like I did. I didn't meet my wife till I was 24. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.