Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSBhopal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Beautiful ladies and respected gentlemen,

I was wondering if there's an "how to" that explains in detail how to upgrade tiger to snow leopard.

I have the new macbook pro and have upgraded it to snow leopard successfully and never looked back since.

My friend has a white macbook running 10.4 (tiger) and has bought iLife '09 but cannot install it without leopard/snow leopard.

Im trying to install it for her but, contrary to popular belief, its not as easy as it sounds. I booted tiger -> popped in snow leopard (upgrade disc) -> installer rebooted -> i selected the language -> then Error: "Mac OS X Cannot be installed on this computer"

I even tried booting from the original tiger OS discs to format the HD before doing a 'clean' install of SL. Still no luck! Apple must have introduced new checks before authenticating installation!

Any help would be greatly appreciated fellow mac people!

tooz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
I did it on my teachers macbook running tiger, just popped the (upgrade;)) disc in, and hit "install Mac OSX"
installed no issues

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
My friend has a white macbook running 10.4 (tiger) and has bought iLife '09 but cannot install it without leopard/snow leopard.

Im trying to install it for her but, contrary to popular belief, its not as easy as it sounds. I booted tiger -> popped in snow leopard (upgrade disc) -> installer rebooted -> i selected the language -> then Error: "Mac OS X Cannot be installed on this computer"

Are you sure it's a MacBook and not an iBook?

JSBhopal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Are you sure it's a MacBook and not an iBook?

Im 100% sure its not an iBook! it is the old 2.0Ghz Intel core 2 Duo plastic white Macbook.

And if this is true:

I did it on my teachers macbook running tiger, just popped the (upgrade;)) disc in, and hit "install Mac OSX"
installed no issues

How did you do it? was there a special copy?

Why does it work for some people running tiger and not others? maybe there's different copies of the upgrade disc?

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
If the harddrive is using a Master Boot Record rather then GUID, you can not upgrade OS X on it, use disk utility to see how the partitions are set up.

ericksgotmac

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
I got that message when trying to install the Leopard Disc that came with my uMBP on my brothers Macbook (White) from 2007. The only way I was able to install it was either swap the HDD just for the install process then swap back or put the Macbook in Target Disk Mode and hook it up to the uMBP with a 400/800 FW Cable.

P.S.
The install disk would go into the uMBP and then just select the attached MB to install 10.6 onto.

JSBhopal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks ericsgotmac ill try that first thing tomorrow. sounds promising. but just to save me searching around, could you explain a little more about that target disk mode?

Many thanks!

JSBhopal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Found It!

Ok guys and girls,

I've found a way that works. Hope it works for everyone else too!

Removed HD from white macbook -> Connected to new macbook pro via SATA USB enclosure -> formatted and installed snow leopard -> Removed HD when it says that it needs to restart -> put HD back into white macbook.

and it works perfectly..so far at least!

Goodluck!

simbonater

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
same situation, but i do not have rights to 10.4 tiger os

HELLO EVERYBODY,
I was about to try to buy the update, but i noticed a warning on apple site about a update to tiger os that is installed on m mac mini, stating that i could encounter problem updating if my current software was a 3rd party instillation, so if i do not have rights to my installed Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and iLife, then do i latest mac os and just start fresh?

dukeonuke

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Work's 4 Me

Was running Mac 10.4 Tiger on Mac Pro Desktop. Updated successfully (thus far) to Mac 10.6.

dukeonuke

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
OK - Not Working Properly At All 4 Me......

Cannot get my Presonus Firestudio to work properly with new 10.6 OS X. Therefore, no music, no Itunes, no internet radio. Sucks Arse. Updated Firestudio driver. But it is still FUNKED UP. Bumming.....

MTCheung

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Was running Mac 10.4 Tiger on Mac Pro Desktop. Updated successfully (thus far) to Mac 10.6.

Tell me how!

I have a beautiful iMac desktop 2007 running on Tiger OSX10.4.

I like to upgrade it but not successful. Did you buy the OSX 10.6 on CD or download?

The man at the Apple store recommended I stored all the data, and reinstall the new version. I have second thoughts about that.

Regards,

MTCheung
Old 76 yr old man from Hong Kong.

chrisahx

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Id appreciate any help on upgrading from Mac OS X 10.4.11 running on an IMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Ultimately I'd like to upgrade this machine to Lion after I get snow up and running. I'd gladly pay up to 75 for the Leopard but the cheapest I have found it is priced at around 200. I have the snow leopard disk that came with my old MacBook Air, will this work or does only the "upgrade" snow leopard disk work?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
My wife's HDD got wiped. I got on the phone with Apple and they twisted my arm to put Tiger back on the thing... or was it Leopard? It came with Office 2004 so I think it was Tiger. Then I popped in my SL DVD and installed SL right over it with no problem. So either I went from Tiger to SL with no problem... or... there was a time when Leopard came with Office 2004 trial. How do I know office 2004 made it onto her mini? Because she got an email with a word doc and she couldn't open it because Lion was telling her "You cant run PPC apps on this machine!" How bogus. She had both iWork and LibreOffice and somehow Office 2004 was the default app for word documents. I dragged office 2004 trial to trash and all was fine.

I guess the reason I'm thinking Office 2004 came with Tiger and not Leopard is because the only other machine in the house that has Office 2004 is our old G4 Mac mini which I remember adding RAM so I could upgrade from Tiger to Leopard.

rottendrunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Id appreciate any help on upgrading from Mac OS X 10.4.11 running on an IMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Ultimately I'd like to upgrade this machine to Lion after I get snow up and running. I'd gladly pay up to 75 for the Leopard but the cheapest I have found it is priced at around 200. I have the snow leopard disk that came with my old MacBook Air, will this work or does only the "upgrade" snow leopard disk work?

I just purchased Snow Leopard (10.6.3) from Apple for $29.99 with free shipping: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A

I'm about to do an upgrade on an older MacBook. If I run into any problems I'll let you know.

rottendrunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
I'm curious as I'd like to upgrade my wife's MBP w/ intel core 2. She is running tiger currently.

Completed the upgrade of my wife's MB 2GHz intel core 2 from Tiger to Snow Leopard and everything went very smoothly. After the upgrade I had to run Software Update to go from 10.6.3 (what comes on the DVD) to 10.6.8. Total time including the Software Update was about 75 minutes.

I highly recommend ordering the 10.6 DVD from Apple. They don't carry it in their stores, which I think is dumb seeing you need it to upgrade to 10.7 if you're not already using 10.6.

jdastas

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2008
Completed the upgrade of my wife's MB 2GHz intel core 2 from Tiger to Snow Leopard and everything went very smoothly. After the upgrade I had to run Software Update to go from 10.6.3 (what comes on the DVD) to 10.6.8. Total time including the Software Update was about 75 minutes.

I highly recommend ordering the 10.6 DVD from Apple. They don't carry it in their stores, which I think is dumb seeing you need it to upgrade to 10.7 if you're not already using 10.6.

Did you have register your it with Apple. I have Leopard on my MB and would need to use it twice to get SL on both machines. Don't want to buy the family disc if I don't need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.