Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QueenoftheAbyss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2004
I just bought a new iBook G4 with a Combo Drive. This is my first Mac and certainly my first computer without a floppy drive. When I asked about prices for an external floppy drive, the guy at the store said that I should try using just the CD drive first. He explained to me that using CD-RW's was just like using a floppy disk.

This is an example of what I want to be able to do:

Save DocumentA and B
At a later date, add DocumentC
Modify DocumentB and delete DocumentA
At a later date, create DocumentD and add it.

Can I do all this and still keep DocumentsC and D, and the modified DocumentB? Or do I basically have to erase the whole disk and overwrite all existing documents if I choose the add or modifya document at a later date.

I write many papers and the ability to add, delete, and modify documents is very important to me. I was not aware, before I bought the computer, that there was a difference between CD-RW drives and DVD-RW drives, other than the type of disk used.

I realize that I could just as easily save and do all that on the hard drive alone, but I rarely finish a whole document in one sitting and I want to be able to backup my work.

If anyone can explain to me what to do, I'd greatly appreciate it.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Insert a CD-RW into your CD Drive. When the CD image comes up on your desktop, just drag whatever document(s) you want onto the CD. It will burn it immediately. Eject the CD by pressing the eject button on the top right corner of your iBook's keyboard. Hold it down for about a second and it will eject the CD. If you want to edit what's on the CD or add more documents, just re-insert the CD and double click on its image to open it and open the document to edit it. Just drag another document(s) onto the CD to add more.

The best part about using a CD over a floppy is that the CD can store many nore documents.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Get a USB thumbdrive. It's about the same price as an external floppy and holds a lot more. You can do what you want with a CD-RW, but for it to be actually usable, you have to buy Toast -a CD recording app.

EDIT: JOD8FY, he'll have to make sure not to close the session on the disk either (the little blue arrow on the "Burn Options" prompt).

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
7on said:
JOD8FY, he'll have to make sure not to close the session on the disk either (the little blue arrow on the "Burn Options" prompt).

Thanks, sorry about that.

I hadn't thought about a USB thumb drive, that's a good idea. You might want to go with that instead. Any other questions, just post here.

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
JOD8FY said:
Insert a CD-RW into your CD Drive. When the CD image comes up on your desktop, just drag whatever document(s) you want onto the CD. It will burn it immediately. Eject the CD by pressing the eject button on the top right corner of your iBook's keyboard. Hold it down for about a second and it will eject the CD. If you want to edit what's on the CD or add more documents, just re-insert the CD and double click on its image to open it and open the document to edit it. Just drag another document(s) onto the CD to add more.

The best part about using a CD over a floppy is that the CD can store many nore documents.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

How do you reformat a CDRW disc after you are ready to "reload" files?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
To erase a CD-RW, open disk utility and click the CD-RW icon in the left sidebar and then do the Erase thing.

QueenoftheAbyss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2004
7on said:
Get a USB thumbdrive. It's about the same price as an external floppy and holds a lot more. You can do what you want with a CD-RW, but for it to be actually usable, you have to buy Toast -a CD recording app.

EDIT: JOD8FY, he'll have to make sure not to close the session on the disk either (the little blue arrow on the "Burn Options" prompt).

You'll have to bear with me because I am a Windows to Mac convert.

Can you explain step-by-step, how to go about selecting the doc's I want to save, adding them to the CD window, and burning/keeping session open?
For the most part, I'll be saving word-processed documents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.