Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Has anyone tried to actually go in Time Machine in Snow Leopard since the upgrade? I just tried and everything seems non-responsive or on a 2 minute delay. I use Time Capsule and Time Machine and things are just not acceptable at this speed.

Also, I don't think the archives are right. I used to have a ton of things on my desktop - most of which I cleaned recently by moving or deleting the files. However, going back a few months in Time Machine, the only files that show up in my desktop folder/view are the ones that are on my desktop today. All the older, moved or deleted files no longer show up in Time Machine. My guess is they should.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Possibly a different issue. I'm not talking about the speed of the backups but rather the speed of the interface accessing the backups.

What kind of machine do you have? I just accessed my TM backup (over gigabit ethernet) and it was super quick.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I have a MBP accessing the Time Capsule over wifi. There was never an issue with Leopard but it's extremely slow on Snow Leopard.

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
I have also found the TM interface to be extremely slow and laggy. Although I have noticed this in 10.5 and always assumed it was the WiFi connection. But it is really bad in 10.6.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Just anecdotal evidence on my part, but I have actually noticed the opposite. The mounting of my TC backup and browsing of it through Time Machine seems a lot smoother in Snow Leopard. But I haven't tried it over wifi yet, just ethernet.

nicenice62

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Time Machine Slow Interface on Snow Leopard: fixed!

Hi everybody.
I've been suffering TM slow interface problem (not the rest of them) in a MacBookPro since Snow Leopard.
FW disk, journaled macos file system, reformatted (just in case), spotlight deactivated for bck volumes, even net disconnected (see later): NOTHING.

Each mouse movement could take a couple of minutes: TM interface has been useless (one can always navigate through folders with the terminal and get bck files, of course, and files are accesible that way, at least).

This combination really restores interface speed:

1- time machine switched to OFF (that was the main problem.....) before launching interface (i.e.: before entering time machine)
2- unmount all my volumes in the external disk that are not participating in TM (I have an external FW disk with 3 volumes, only one of them for TM)
3- airport off

I don't have ethernet wired connections, only wifi, so I cannot know if ethernet could have an influence, but definitely the big solution is to switch off time machine, and the other two, in my mac, have a big influence on speed (on freezes).

Now TM works fine as it runs on my good old iMac G5 (10.5).

I'm really happy, I've been trying to fix this silly issue since 10.6.......
Thanks everybody!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.