Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavenger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Spokane, WA USA
Maybe im just way out of the loop, but i just checked the apple's online store and 16gb nanos are only 149 right now... a good sign if you ask me

edit:well actually it looks like they did so to all ipods...

Attachments

• nano.jpg
    nano.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 55

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I believe those have been the prices since they were released.

Of course I could be wrong which in case that's a good thing.

M.a.r.k.

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
the was a price change, 8GB is $129 and 16GB at $149

previous price was:
8GB: $149
16GB: $199

pavenger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Spokane, WA USA
279 for a 32bg touch is a pretty bangin' deal if you ask me. I would say that at this point it is safe to assume that the new 32bg could be priced at 299? just a thought. Did they do price cuts like this last year? maybe they have a huge over stock of ipods that they weren't able to clear out...

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Yep, showing the new prices for me on the US Store. The home page still says "from $149", but on the actual iPod nano page it says 8GB is $129, 16GB is $149.

Hmm, maybe they're not actually discontinuing these models and are just changing the prices, while introducing a high-end 32GB model with a camera at the old 16GB price point? There'd be no reason to change these prices otherwise, generally they don't change until the entire store is updated, with the old models going to the 'clearance' section...

pavenger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Spokane, WA USA
Yep, showing the new prices for me on the US Store. The home page still says "from $149", but on the actual iPod nano page it says 8GB is $129, 16GB is $149.

Hmm, maybe they're not actually discontinuing these models and are just changing the prices, while introducing a high-end 32GB model with a camera at the old 16GB price point? There'd be no reason to change these prices otherwise, generally they don't change until the entire store is updated, with the old models going to the 'clearance' section...

That very well could be. but to me it seems that apple likes to keep their iPods fairly consistent. having a "high-end" touch that can do much more than the others just seems like something they wouldn't do... Unless they rebranded the high-end model to the alleged iPod Touch P (P for Power of course;)) while keeping the lower end... It could be anything though really....

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
For what it's worth, everyone is seeing the education pricing carried over to the main store. Dunno if this reflects a permanent change or is an error on Apple's website.

Personally, I'm guessing error. Those price points are not traditional ones for Apple. I think we'll see the touch at $199/$299/$399.

NJMetsHero

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
It is possible that since the iPods are becoming less of a big seller, they're trying to sell more of them by lowering the prices. They could also be trying to undercut the Zune by making the Touch cheaper.

I'll be interested to see whether or not these prices were either:

A) Just a way to temporarily try and clear out stock.

B) If those prices have anything to do with the prices of the next gen models.

C) A mistake.

I guess we'll find out in about 5 hours.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
They could also be trying to undercut the Zune by making the Touch cheaper.

They've done this before - Apple cut the iPod price by $50 about a week before the original Zune made its debut. Apparently, it caught Microsoft completely off guard.

Still - the price points traditionally end in $x49 or $x99. That's why I think these are an error. I could be wrong, though.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Slashing the prices before the event like this would seem to indicate that if they introduce new iPod models (like, ones with cameras and bigger capacity) they will be added on top of the current offerings instead of replacing the current offerings.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Don't forget we are probably going to see a 64gb iPod Touch today for probably $399. I'm sure the new ones with the camera will be 16gb - $199, 32gb -$299 and 64gb at $399

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
For what it's worth, everyone is seeing the education pricing carried over to the main store. Dunno if this reflects a permanent change or is an error on Apple's website.

Personally, I'm guessing error. Those price points are not traditional ones for Apple. I think we'll see the touch at $199/$299/$399.

That is way wrong. The education price for iPods has never been different from the regular store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.