Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
If you have a new 15" Powerbook (the 1.33 and 1.5 GHz models), is anyone having any problems with the much talked about "Uneven Illumination" problem? If anyone is wondering what this is, check out the "Display" forum for the PB 15" on apple.com.

Is anyone having any other problems, not even display related, with their new 15"ers? Battery problems? Keyboard? Case latch?

I am this close to ordering my 15" PB (I will have enough money the first week in June), and I just want to see if everything is sorted out and ready to go.

qubex

macrumors 6502
I've just ordered a 15" 1.5 GHz PowerBook so I sure as hell will be annoyed if I end up with this problem.

Where earlier there was excitement at the impending delivery (June 2nd), now there is also apprehension. :(

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
Ozi said:

yes, that is the problem I am referencing. It's just that this problem has never been discussed here much (at least to my knowledge), so I was wondering if anyone here has experienced it.

and qubex, I wouldn't worry about it much. It's probably a fairly small number of people who are experiencing this problem, and Apple is probably very close to finding a total solution to it.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Gherkin said:
If you have a new 15" Powerbook (the 1.33 and 1.5 GHz models), is anyone having any problems with the much talked about "Uneven Illumination" problem? If anyone is wondering what this is, check out the "Display" forum for the PB 15" on apple.com.

Is anyone having any other problems, not even display related, with their new 15"ers? Battery problems? Keyboard? Case latch?

I am this close to ordering my 15" PB (I will have enough money the first week in June), and I just want to see if everything is sorted out and ready to go.

Well I got a flaky machine which has been DOA'd :(

Couldn;t detect any illumination problems during the time it worked when I had it for those two days...

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I've had my 15" for a few days and haven't seen any illumination problems/white spots, and the screen is very bright. The only flaw is a single blue stuck pixel, but I can only see it when the screen is black or very dark so it doesn't really bother me.

qubex

macrumors 6502
I have a few friends who have 15" Aluminium PowerBooks (previous series, 1.25 GHz and 1.33 GHz processors, if I'm not mistaken). They've had their machines for more than three months each and they've reported no problems. Maybe I'll be lucky?

Since I work in China, returning one of those things to Hong Kong for the purposes of warranty is a non-trivial task. Not to mention the horror if they return it to me with a warped case as someone mentioned - and has already happened to my 12" after the SuperDrive was replaced. Ever since I got it back there's been a slight deformation on the front edge, more or less along the battery's side, with the aluminium case jutting out slightly. It's awful because I continue to catch the underside of my right wrist on it.

But Apple says that's not covered. :(

qubex

macrumors 6502
Subsequent to my previous post more than a year ago, I bought a 15" PowerBook G4 in late June 2004.

My 15" PowerBook is now about 16 months old (June 2004-October 2005) and I am starting to get "bright spots" on the screen. I have a sneaky feeling it's failing.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
qubex said:
Subsequent to my previous post more than a year ago, I bought a 15" PowerBook G4 in late June 2004.

My 15" PowerBook is now about 16 months old (June 2004-October 2005) and I am starting to get "bright spots" on the screen. I have a sneaky feeling it's failing.

I guess I bought mine right around the same time as you. I've had zero problems with the screen. No uneven illumination. I do have one blue stuck pixel (can't see it unless the background is all black). Other then that, perfect.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
qubex said:
Since I work in China, returning one of those things to Hong Kong for the purposes of warranty is a non-trivial task. Not to mention the horror if they return it to me with a warped case as someone mentioned - and has already happened to my 12" after the SuperDrive was replaced.

Yeah... I had a Rev. C 15" and I had to send it in 5 times for various keyboard lighting and defective keyboard problems. It can look awful even after opening it up once. I've embraced the 17" because historically it has none of the problems of the 15". :) Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.