Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XciteMe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I apologize if I sound like a newb, but I am. I've noticed a lot of folks saying this whenever mention of a new OS update.

Is it a hidden joke or something??? Confused.
Thanks.

Reactions: sd70mac

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's been going on since the first few OS updates.

Safari actually is often snappier just after an OS update, because memory and cache has all been cleared out.

Newbies would post that it was faster, clearly thinking that the OS had been hugely improved, when it was just normal behavior.

This happened so much, that after a while, people would just post "and Safari feels snappier!" just to make fun of it.

Reactions: phobrla and sd70mac

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think the joke even predates Safari!

I'm pretty sure that people used to say that the Finder felt snappier after every OS update. Once Safari came out it shifted to that and that's when it really became a joke and people started posting it everywhere. (New headphones came out? Safari feels snappier!)

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Installing new firmware did make the phone work faster, but it would always get bogged down again in short order. That's the joke. It was a cruel joke, because we all wanted our 2G and 3G iPhones to perform better and lag less, and kept hoping Apple fixed the problem with the latest update. And each time, it seemed like they did. But then it would creep back.

For those of us who upgraded to the 3GS, those days are thankfully a thing of the past. The hardware has enough horsepower to run whatever Apple throws at it with ease. Unfortunately, the earlier iPhones are pushing the limits of their memory and CPU with the latest OS updates. They are certainly still useable phones, but I think some lag will always be there.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I'm pretty sure that people used to say that the Finder felt snappier after every OS update. Once Safari came out it shifted to that and that's when it really became a joke and people started posting it everywhere.
It's because they finally removed the debug code.

:p :cool:

Indeed, it really has nothing to do with the iPhone, at least originally.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The oldest post on MR that I could find that used the phrase "snappier" was this one from April 30, 2001 (which was used by MacRumors). It referenced the OS being snappier. Though this time frame is near when this web site was created (it's thread number 28) as well as the start of OS X, so it could have been used earlier. (link above was updated to an earlier thread)

The first post I could find relating snappiness of Safari was this thread from February 3, 2003.

Edit: one funny thing is in that first post, how many users are now simply "guest."

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's like mentioning the PowerBook G5
or the secret product shot from an elevator.

The oldest post on MR that I could find that used the phrase "seems snappier" was this one from June 12, 2001. It referenced Finder being snappier. Though this time frame is near when this web site was created (it's thread number 81) as well as the start of OS X, so it could have been used earlier.

The first post I could find relating snappiness of Safari was this thread from February 3, 2003.

Haha. We can blame the Macrumors Bot.

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
I apologize if I sound like a newb, but I am. I've noticed a lot of folks saying this whenever mention of a new OS update.

Is it a hidden joke or something??? Confused.
Thanks.

It's just lame people trying to be funny. It's actually discouraged cause it's silly and meaningless.

ignore it and it should go away.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I mentioned that Safari was snappier a few months ago after an upgrade and my post was deleted. I usually don't say that but in that case it really was snappier and it was actually mentioned on the release notes.

The mods really should read the release notes before deleting posts about Safari being snappier. Sometimes it really does happen. :)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Or the tablet. Which seems to be turning into another one of these

Grrrr, I hope not. Unfortunately those tablets people can't really do math.

They want a portable with much larger screen than iPhone, mutli touch display, but cheaper than the MacBook and without any contract. In another word, they think there will be a premium product with high end technology, at budget price...

Not happening at the price point they pull out of you know where.

I mentioned that Safari was snappier a few months ago after an upgrade and my post was deleted. I usually don't say that but in that case it really was snappier and it was actually mentioned on the release notes.

The mods really should read the release notes before deleting posts about Safari being snappier. Sometimes it really does happen. :)

I wish the Admins would delete the tablet stuff.

Erkalanger

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I think its funny when someone says that their Safari feels snappier related to something completely different, like when Steve at an Event saying that the new TV will be released in two weeks.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
What's the harm, really?

It's just lame people trying to be funny. It's actually discouraged cause it's silly and meaningless.

ignore it and it should go away.

If I remember correctly, I posted a "Safari seems Snappier" a few years back.... and my post was one of the first 5 or 10 on whatever subject it was... an update, I believe.... and the comment was removed...

So, MR doesn't have much of a sense of humor about it for sure..

Maybe I was lame back then, maybe I am now... but c'mon.... if it puts a smirk on someone's face when they sift through all the somewhat meaningless crap that ends up on here occassionally, what's the harm?

just my 2 cents.... I personally get a kick out of it when I see it mentioned.

cassiar

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I was reading through the Mavericks promo page and I found this to be quite funny.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 8.25.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 8.25.01 PM.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,118
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.