Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Previously this wasn't possible with the iPhone, only iPods, but it's finally here! As long as you manually mange your iPhone's music, you'll be able to drag and drop music from multiple computers to your phone.

My iPhone is synced with my MacBook Pro and I just added a song to it from my PC. I reconnected it to my MBP, and hit sync to see if it will be added to my MBP's library. It has been backing up for about 10 minutes now. Not sure what that's about, we'll see.

This is with iTunes 9 and iPhone 3.1. Also, with Home Sharing you can now transfer files between two libraries but unfortunately play count STILL doesn't update on another computer when you play a file from it over a network.

Just thought I'd share this.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Ok so my iPhone finally synced (it's burning) and the song that I copied from my PC is on my phone, but not in my iTunes library on my Mac. Maybe because music is now manually manged and I need to copy it over to the library.

Interesting, I can't drag it from my iPhone to my music library on the Mac.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Ok so my iPhone finally synced (it's burning) and the song that I copied from my PC is on my phone, but not in my iTunes library on my Mac. Maybe because music is now manually manged and I need to copy it over to the library.

Yea it's never been the case with iPods that iTunes would transfer the songs back for you. You could grab songs from multiple computers but you could never get them off without using 3rd party software.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Unchecked "Manually manage music and videos" and synced again, but to no avail. It seems like you can add music to your iPhone from multiple computers now, but you can't copy that music from your iPhone to the other computer.

You can now do that via Home Sharing though, which kind of defeats the purpose of adding music to your phone from multiple computers, unless you're doing it at different locations.

Yea it's never been the case with iPods that iTunes would transfer the songs back for you. You could grab songs from multiple computers but you could never get them off without using 3rd party software.

Still, better than nothing! :) I wish play count would update when playing shared files, then iTunes would be complete lol.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

I thought you could get iTMS music off the iPod.

Still, better than nothing! :) I wish play count would update when playing shared files, then iTunes would be complete lol.

This is full of win, but true it is a solution for multiple owner/multiple mac households more than single owner/multiple mac situations. I'm perfectly fine letting my wife have her own playcounts and ratings. I just want her to stop buying music I already have.

mumper

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
I cannot get this to work. I have a macbook pro and a PC. I sync my iphone normally with the PC. I updated to itunes 9 and iphone 3.1. I then synced my iphone with the PC and made sure that "manage music manually" was set. I then removed the iphone and hooked it up to my macbook pro. I noticed right away that the checkbox was gone from "manage music manually". I tried to recheck it but then it tells me it would have to wipe the phone contents so I cancel.

Any idea what I am doing wrong here? This is behaving exactly as it did before.

Thanks!

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I'm trying this out now, as my PC recently failed, which is what my iPhone was backed up to, so if this works (it's currently updating to 3.1) I SHOULD get a backup to here. Woot lol

mikeytwice

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
mumper, I'm having the same problem. My iPhone is set up to manually manage music on my mac, but on my PC the box is unchecked and to check it I'd have to erase the contents of the phone.

Anyone know what is up here? Am I going to have to erase everything, check "manually manage" on all computers, and then copy music over?

ckeilah

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
mumper, I'm having the same problem. My iPhone is set up to manually manage music on my mac, but on my PC the box is unchecked and to check it I'd have to erase the contents of the phone.

Anyone know what is up here? Am I going to have to erase everything, check "manually manage" on all computers, and then copy music over?

Ditto here. I'm on vacation and want to put some tunes, which are on my MacBook which is with me, onto my iPhone. I can't very well fly 2500 miles to re-sync my goddamned iPwn with my Mac! :-/

mikeytwice

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
Anyone have any thoughts here?

Sorry to be a nag, but this is crazy frustrating. I figure I must be overlooking something since this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, but I can't figure out what it might be...

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
I don't know, it's just not a huge deal for me. You could do this long ago with home sharing, making CDs, or transferring songs on a hard drive or something. I guess I just don't see the merit in this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.