Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phifer8390

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Ok so my 17" powerbook is done for and I was already looking at getting a new MBP. The question is now the right time to buy? I know according to the buyers guide it is in a neutral point in it's life, but is there anything that I should be expecting in the next lineup? The only thing I am really curious about is usb 3.0 but with apple's record of waiting so long to adopt something this new I would think it will not show up for a few more models. What is everyone else's thoughts on the matter?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
I would pick up a refurb now. You're saving a couple of hundred dollars, you have a working computer in-hand, and if there's some must-have that comes out on the new MBP, you can always sell this one and pick up a new.

phifer8390

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I would pick up a refurb now. You're saving a couple of hundred dollars, you have a working computer in-hand, and if there's some must-have that comes out on the new MBP, you can always sell this one and pick up a new.

Looking at this they have no anti-glare 15" models in the refurb section and the cheapest 17" 1999. I could buy another 17" but I was going to try out the 15" just so it would be more portable.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
The 15" anti-glares just came out, so it will be a month or two for them to show up in the refurb store. That's a tough call - the 17" are monsters (mine is basically a desktop and I use a hackintosh dell mini 10v for portability). If you're looking to go smaller, it will be worth the wait to grab an anti-glare (the screen films to go over the glossies just don't work for me). Maybe pick up a netbook and hack it to get you through??

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Don't even consider USB 3.0.

There is only like 2-3 motherboards for PC desktops that are shipping with it, and there is still no devices for it as well.

That probably wont really be mainstream for another 2-3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.