Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Ok so opened Directory Utility, unlocked it and then selected Enable Root User and set a password, locked Directory Utility opened terminal and typed sudo root.

When I entered the password I set I just get "Sorry, try again". Have tried going back into Directory Utility and changing the password but get the same thing, any ideas?

Ok so opened Directory Utility, unlocked it and then selected Enable Root User and set a password, locked Directory Utility opened terminal and typed sudo root.

When I entered the password I set I just get "Sorry, try again". Have tried going back into Directory Utility and changing the password but get the same thing, any ideas?

If you are meaning to be root in a Terminal, don't do "sudo root". Do "su -" and enter the password.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009

You don't need to enable the root user. All you need to do is run Terminal.app then do:

$ sudo -s

...and enter your password.

If that doesn't work, is the user account you're using an administrative account?

ebiz

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Same problem here

None of these solutions have worked for me.
I'm trying to install rails and i need sudo access.
the command is:
sudo gem install rails
When prompted for the password I get: "Sorry, try again"

I have enabled the root user through CoreServices.

I've tried:
sudo su
sudo -s

I believe that my user account had admin rights. It says "admin" under the account name in Users. Besides, if it didn't I'd expect to see some kind of permissions error when enabling or changing the root account password.

Any help is appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.