Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zaq1xsw2cde3vfr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Problem
System: OS X Tiger 10.4.11

Model: 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5

Memory: 512 MB DDR SDRAM

[Task action]​

Downloading Update...

Downloads update successfully. Warcraft III is restarted.

Blizzard Updater​
Patching...

BN Update was unable to write a file to disk.

If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support.

Archive name:
File name: \{MacPath01}\WarcraftIII.app\Contents\Resources\Miles Carbon Library

Error 110

An error occurred during patch process. Please try reinstalling the game and reapplying the patch.

If this error occurs again, please contact Blizzard Technical Support.

Blizzard BNUpdate v2.130 compiled on Jun 24 2008
Log created at **:**•• on **/**/****

This patch upgrades Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne from the previous version.

ERROR: unable to move original file '\{MacPath01}\Warcraft III.app\Contents\Resources\Miles Carbon Library' out of the way ( 110: Error: 110)

RESULT: Patch failed

File map and File paths:

Macintosh HD > Warcraft III Folder > Warcraft Movies/AI Scripts/Battle.net Cache/Blizzard Video Support/BN Update/BN Update (duplicate exists: pending further information)/bnupdate.log/Campaigns/CustomKeyInfo.txt/CustomKeysSample.txt/Errors/icons-WAR3.bni/License.txt/Maps/Miles/Miles Carbon Library/Movies/Patch.txt/ReadMe/Replay/Save/Screenshots/The Frozen Throne/W3XP_XMAC_121A_121B_enUS.mpq/War3.mpq/War3Patch.mpq/War3x.mpq/War3xLocal.mpq/Warcraft III/Warcraft III World Editor

Patch text history appears inaccurate to version:

Patch.txt said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARCRAFT III: THE FROZEN THRONE VERSION HISTORY

Patch 1.24b

PC WORLD EDITOR CHANGES

- Increased max map file size from 4 MB to 8 MB.
- Added the ability to store hashtable handles in a hashtable.
- Added GetSpellTargetX and GetSpellTargetY natives.
- Added a new base handle type “Agent” of which many types now extend from.
- Added a SaveAgentHandle native which can be used for saving most handle types.
- Added a JASS optimization dealing with global variable change events.

FIXES

- Fixed a few false positives caused by the "return bug" fix.
- Fixed a crash related to hashtable reference counting.
- “Shadowing” global variables with local variables no longer is possible.
- Fixed a type conversion dealing with operators (i.e. adding a handle with an integer).

Patch 1.24

PC WORLD EDITOR CHANGES

- Added new JASS hash table functions to replace the lost functionality from
fixing unsafe type casting.
- Hash Table - Save Item Handle
- Hash Table - Save Unit Handle
- Hash Table - Load Item Handle
- Hash Table - Load Unit Handle
- Hash Table - Get Handle ID

FIXES

- Fixed an exploit related to unsafe type casting that allowed users to
execute arbitrary code in maps.
- Fixed the JASS unsafe type casting exploit ("return bug").
- Fixed several World Editor crashes.

If any snapshots are needed, then they will be supplied upon inquiry.

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Are you running from an administrator account?

You may also like to try the recently uploaded standalone patch as well. You can find it here
http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/war3x/patches/mac/War3TFT_124b_English.zip
(may take a few tries to get it as the server is fairly busy). Please note this version was uploaded today as an earlier release did not work.

When you have the patch extracted, put it inside your Warcraft directory and run it from there.

If that fails, you may be best to reinstall (backup your maps/saves as needed), and patch straight away with the standalone patch.

zaq1xsw2cde3vfr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Response to questions posed

Are you running from an administrator account?

Yes.

You may also like to try the recently uploaded standalone patch as well. You can find it here
http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/war3x/patches/mac/War3TFT_124b_English.zip
(may take a few tries to get it as the server is fairly busy). Please note this version was uploaded today as an earlier release did not work.

Currently downloading.

When you have the patch extracted, put it inside your Warcraft directory and run it from there.

Affirmative.

Edit: same error. Will proceed upon response with reinstall.

If that fails, you may be best to reinstall (backup your maps/saves as needed), and patch straight away with the standalone patch.

Queries:

Can I save Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos / The Frozen Throne Campaign progress too, with a reinstall?

-Off-topic Retraction-

I am aware you can change the background image of the Start Menu. Can you give me further information about how to do this?

-Reasons for retraction-

I have become bitter towards the seeing of the same background image every time I start the application, for both the original release and the expansion. A change would be appreciated.

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Can I save Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos / The Frozen Throne Campaign progress too, with a reinstall?
Provided you backup the Warcraft III/save folder and place it back into the directory when done, yes you can. You can also just rename your existing install (or install to a different directory), preserving it incase anything is missed.

I am aware you can change the background image of the Start Menu. Can you give me further information about how to do this?
I can yes, but it's a heck of a lot of stuffing around. If you really want to, I can provide the details. There are no simple tools to do this like there are on Windows, so it must all be done manually.
While it doesn't involve editing game files, I do not however want to be held responsible if you end up being banned from battle.net for using it.

Attachments

• mainmenu.png
    mainmenu.png
    726.9 KB · Views: 525

zaq1xsw2cde3vfr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Appreciate your further response

Provided you backup the Warcraft III/save folder and place it back into the directory when done, yes you can.

Affirmative.

You can also just rename your existing install (or install to a different directory), preserving it incase anything is missed.

For the moment, the space is available to simply install the file again. When done, any duplicates of data left will be removed.

Apologies for the apparition of shot-sightedness. A nod was needed from another party: confirming that a campaign and a profile can be transplanted from the application, onto another installed copy of the application. It was thought it could prove to be alien to the particular copy it would be moved to.

Are you completely positive?

I can yes, but it's a heck of a lot of stuffing around. If you really want to, I can provide the details.

Appreciations would be made upon the details being provided.

A "heck of a lot of stuffing around" can be handled.

There are no simple tools to do this like there are on Windows, so it must all be done manually.
While it doesn't involve editing game files, I do not however want to be held responsible if you end up being banned from battle.net for using it.

Elaborate?

Does it violate the EULA or any other license or documentation you agree to, when you connect to Battle.net? A user changing the background image is relatively harmless, when it comes to considering security.

If by doing so it does violate some regulation made by the providers, then it must be either countermanded with an insubordinate act to either protect from such a response, or simply find an alternative server to connect to.

In the function of protecting a user against detection (and thus protection from a response), have you any recommendations?

I am aware of private servers that people use, such as the Blue (originating from the Philippines, in the Far East) server, Bored Aussies (Australia), as well as various others. Can you provide information about these, if necessary?

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Are you completely positive?
Yes it will work. There is a blizzard support page about it, however I can't find where it is with their new layout. The only saves that may have issues are mulitplayer saves and replays (campaign saves will work).

Does it violate the EULA or any other license or documentation you agree to, when you connect to Battle.net?
http://classic.battle.net/tou.shtml
As far as I can tell no, however it would be on the border line of section 4A(ii) and (v). There is also the EULA in the back of the Warcraft manual which states similar things.

A user changing the background image is relatively harmless, when it comes to considering security.
I wholeheartedly agree, but that's not the point. I cannot tell how Warden works, however the process to change the background can be adapted to change any other game file in the same manner. It really depends how far blizzard goes with checking for this.

I am aware of private servers that people use ... Can you provide information about these, if necessary?
These are PvPGN servers. Starcraft and Diablo will work on these servers unmodded, however Warcraft has an extra check in place to ensure the server it connects to is legit. There are bypasses available for Windows users called 'loaders', however a loader has never been made for the Mac. Because of this, it is impossible for Mac Warcraft users to join such servers.

I'm currently preparing the steps to change the background within Mac OS X.

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
The process is identical to the one described in this thread, however all PC components need to be translated to the Mac equivalents:
http://forums.boredaussie.com/viewtopic.php?t=11890

Step 1) Editing the registry:
Well, Macs don't have a registry however they do have Preference files. To edit the Preference file for Warcraft you will need a Resource editor such as ResKnife. The best version to use is 0.63 b3 and I've attached it to my post because it's annoying to find/extract (ResKnife063b3.zip).

Next, in the Finder, from the Go menu, choose Go to folder. Type in ~/Library/Preferences and click Go. Find in the list "com.blizzard.WarcraftIII" and open it in ResKnife (you may need to do it twice as the program is a little buggy or drag it to the Dock icon). You should see what I have in the attached resknife1.png.

At this point, click create and create a new resource with the name:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\Allow Local Files" (copy/paste this without quotes)
Add in a resource type of "HKEY" (again without quotes). It should look like resknife2.png. You can click create once this has been entered.

At the bottom of the resource list, should be the one just created. It has an ID of 128. Double click it to edit it.

In the Hex entry, type in "00 00 00 04 00 00 00 01" like resknife3.png, close and keep the changes to the resource.

You can now choose Save from the file menu to save the preference.

(on a side note, editing resources was much easier in Mac OS 9 with ResEdit. OS X is phasing their use out however a few older programs still have them for backwards compatibility)

Step 2) Extracting the backgrounds
There is just way too much involved in this part getting it to work on Mac OS X. You need an MPQ extractor - which is simple enough to find (I had most success with "Diablo II MPQ Tool (MacOS X)"). Due to the way MPQ files work, the programs must have a list of files contained in the archive before attempting to extract them. I did not find an MPQ program that had these already available or a program that allowed the listfiles to be added easily.

Instead of going through everything I did, I've uploaded the modified Diablo II MPQ Tool that I used. This version has had the revised Warcraft lists added into it using ResKnife. You can find it here (too big for an attachment to this post unfortunately)

Once the MPQ extractor is running, you need to find the background .mdx files you wish to use. They are typically located under ui/glues/singleplayer/race/*.mdx. The files are not listed in order (however are in some sort of groups) so it may take a while to find exactly what you're after. The Arthas one I posted earlier is located at UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\Undead3D_Exp\Undead3D_Exp.mdx in the war3x.mpq (it's an expansion campaign background - open war3.mpq for RoC backgrounds). Select the one you want and extract it (File->Extract and choose a location to put it for the time being).

Step 3) Adding it to Warcraft
Find your Warcraft folder and create a path like this
Warcraft III/UI/Glues/MainMenu/MainMenu3D_Exp (for the TFT background) or
Warcraft III/UI/Glues/MainMenu/MainMenu3D (for the RoC background)

If you are changing the TFT background rename your extracted .mdx file to MainMenu3D_Exp.mdx and put it in the MainMenu3D_Exp. RoC backgrounds go into the MainMenu3D folder and are called MainMenu3D.mdx. Use addtowar3.png as a reference.

Once this is done, it should be changed.

There are a few other items that can be changed on the background main menu such as fog and lighting, except I cannot remember which file it was in. If you want to research it, just extract the appropriate file, edit it, and add to to the Warcraft folder with the same structure.

There is also a RoC beta main menu background of a castle that is pretty impressive. I've attached it to this post as well (the fog is not quite right for it though and needs to be edited with the file I mentioned earlier).

hmm. Limit of 5 attachments some will be in the next post.

Attachments

• ResKnife063b3.zip
    356.5 KB · Views: 120
  • resknife1.png
    resknife1.png
    220 KB · Views: 197
  • resknife2.png
    resknife2.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 2,873
  • resknife3.png
    resknife3.png
    60 KB · Views: 206
  • addtowar3.png
    addtowar3.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,867
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.