Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phifer8390

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I am still a little new to OS X. I have had a couple older macs to get me transitioned over and now I am using one full time. But there are a few shortcuts that I love for windows and I would like to know if the equivalent is available on my mac.
1. When I highlight something on my vista machine in a browser and click search in Google it opens in a new tab. Is this possible on my mac. I have not tried Firefox on it and that is what I use in windows, but does it work there or is there a way to get it to open in a new tab in safari?

2. When I click a link on my windows machine in my e-mail it opens in a new tab and not another window. Can i make this happen on my mac in Safari?

3. Last one. On my windows machine I hit control enter after typing the address in the address bar and it throws in the www. and the .com/.net Is there a replacement shortcut in OS X?

Thanks for your help

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
1. Application Menu (e.g Safari) > Services > Search With Google

2. Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Apple-Click = Open in New Tab

3. No Shortcut necessary. www. & .com are added automatically if not entered.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
3. Last one. On my windows machine I hit control enter after typping the address in the address bar and it throws in the www. and the .com/.net Is there a replacement shortcut in OS X?

Firefox will automatically do a Google "I'm feeling lucky" search if the web address is not found, and you can configure Safari to do the same using Keywurl.

phifer8390

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I am still a little new to OS X. I have had a couple older macs to get me transitioned over and now I am using one full time. But there are a few shortcuts that I love for windows and I would like to know if the equivalent is available on my mac.
1. When I highlight something on my vista machine in a browser and click search in Google it opens in a new tab. Is this possible on my mac. I have not tried Firefox on it and that is what I use in windows, but does it work there or is there a way to get it to open in a new tab in safari?

2. When I click a link on my windows machine in my e-mail it opens in a new tab and not another window. Can i make this happen on my mac in Safari?

3. Last one. On my windows machine I hit control enter after typing the address in the address bar and it throws in the www. and the .com/.net Is there a replacement shortcut in OS X?

Thanks for your help

1. I need to remember to click command when clicking link

3. Just need to stop clicking command when i hit enter

phifer8390

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
1. Application Menu (e.g Safari) > Services > Search With Google

Not much of a shortcut. Just about as fast as opening new tab and pasting in my search... Unless I find out whae "up+command+l" is. I tried up and I guess that is not the correct key?.?.?.

Any new thoughts? can this shortcut be changed?

phifer8390

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Not much of a shortcut. Just about as fast as opening new tab and pasting in my search... Unless I find out whae "up+command+l" is. I tried up and I guess that is not the correct key?.?.?.

Any new thoughts? can this shortcut be changed?

As soon as I posted this I realized it is shift command L. I guess that will do. Lock those in the memory bank. it is going to get difficult at work throwing the wrong shortcut into internet explorer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.