Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinaLovesApples

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
I went to the local Apple store today and got some bad news. The official diagnosis is hard drive failure. I'm going to replace the hard drive and the super drive and update the RAM while I'm at it. I bought it with 80Gb HD,would I benefit greatly from replacing it with a 160 GB HD. I primarily develop RAW files and run Photoshop. Any other advice is appreciated. :)

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
That's a question only you can answer. If you don't feel that you're short on hard drive space, don't buy a larger drive. If you do, do so.

There's no such thing as too much hard drive space.

TinaLovesApples

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
I'm just overwhelmed. There are 6 different HD options, 3 different RAM and two slots. the super drive is easy, as there is only one. And I can't find my reboot disk so I have to buy snow panther.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
you mean snow leopard? :)

If i were you, and assuming that you aren't buying a new Mac, I would upgrade it as much as you can. HDD are cheap, Id upgrade the internal drive to like 500GB 7200rpm, and get an external one down the road. Id get as much RAM as you can. RAM is cheap, I paid $45 for 4 GB on my early 2008 (bought in september), so i would think RAM for yours would be cheaper..

That should make your computer fly!!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I'm just overwhelmed. There are 6 different HD options, 3 different RAM and two slots. the super drive is easy, as there is only one. And I can't find my reboot disk so I have to buy snow panther.

Snow Leopard does not run on PowerBooks, due to the PPC processor. You will likely have to use Leopard.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.