Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Admin Update: 40GB Apple TV Discontinued. 160GB discounted to $229.
https://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/14/apple-drops-40gb-apple-tv-and-discounts-160gb-model-to-229/
----

Update: It seems like I came across a midnight update to the store that is seeing the 40GB disappear and a price drop to the 160GB.

Currently it seems if you nav to AppleTV via the store initially, you see both models at the reduced prices but can't add the 40GB to your cart. If you nav to the AppleTV via the iPod+iTunes section of the site initially then you only see the 160GB version listed.

Original Post
I'm just browsing the Apple store (both US and Canada) and the prices seem to be much lower than I recall recently, and oddly, the new are cheaper than the refurbs, but I can't add the new 40GB to my cart.

US

40GB Refurb: $199
160GB Refurb: $279

40GB New: $179
160GB New: $229

Canada

40GB Refurb: $209
160GB Refurb: $289

40GB New: $199
160GB New: $259

What does all this mean? :eek: :confused: I'm guessing we're seeing a price drop on the 160GB and a discontinuation of the 40GB? Maybe an update is immanent? :D

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
im gaining interest in this device, but it seems too outdated for me to actually commit and find sufficient use from it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
im gaining interest in this device, but it seems too outdated for me to actually commit and find sufficient use from it.

it's essentially an iPod that connects to your TV. As long as it plays back iTunes content, I don't think it "needs" much in the way of hardware upgrades.

Obviously, it would be nice, but I don't think it follows the same rules as most consumer electronic devices.

arn

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Wonder if this is a precursor to updates or discontinuation.

I think the Apple TV will really take off when it can stream via iPlayer, Hulu etc. That part could replace broadcast tv and the iTunes downloads can replace DVD's.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Looks to be the same price in the UK, quite fancy Apple TV too but with a PS3 i'm not sure it's worth it

Especially with Sony bringing downloadable content to the PS network :rolleyes:

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Just checked the refurb store. The refurb 160 is still going for 279, I wonder how much it will drop to. The 40 is going for 199 refurb, doubt it will last long.

Tegosaurus

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2004
Ghent, Belgium
But not in Europe...

In Europe we still have the introduction prices...
399 euro for the 160 Gb version, or 579 US$ with the current conversion rate...

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Remember -- Apple originally said: "If it's on iTunes, it's on AppleTV." It's an extension of the iTunes services and business model. Obviously, if it had a tuner in it or streamed Netflix or Hulu ect, it would cut into iTunes purchases/rentals. Apple doesn't sell AppleTV for the hardware sales, it's to strengthen iTunes.

Dadadada

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
The Apple TV is getting interesting. Now imagine that Apple does the following :

- replace the hard disk with a 1 or 2 TB
- add the backup functionality of Time Capsule
- increase the price, but in a reasonable way

In other words, merge the Apple TV, Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme into one single product (iServer ?). They would sell it by zillions, and it would not be anymore just a "hobby" for Apple.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
As much as I would love to get an TV and would find most of its features useful, there just isn't enough there for me currently to justify its price tag. Right now I'd rather plug my MacBook Pro into my TV via VGA and use Front Row - or use the media playback features built in to the TV.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I'm waiting for them to simply move the AppleTV's A.V. functionality on to the mac mini.

Dadadada

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
I'm personally waiting for the day when apple include a damn tv tuner in the thing
When ? Never. It doesn't fit in their business model.

And besides, this product would be US-specific, because classic TV is so much different in each country. Apple makes worldwide products, just look at the iPhone : the same hardware everywhere.

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
The Apple TV is getting interesting. Now imagine that Apple does the following :

- replace the hard disk with a 1 or 2 TB
The 2.5" harddisks as used in the AppleTV don't come in anything larger than 500GB at the moment. Nice dreaming though ;-)

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Do they even make 40 GB drive anymore? Serious, I think this has less to do with the magnanimous of Apple, and more to do with the lack of hard drives to populate the units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.