Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Not sure why...but I have tried everything in this thread a dozen times and no luck on a late 2008 MBPro unibody (OSX 10.6). Even tried the newest B2228Watcher released yesterday and nothing.

My 881U, when plugged into mbpro is stuck in Tru-Install mode and wont go into modem mode. The Tru-Install software that pops up is all PC versions so it is useless.

How do I switch this to modem mode???

I never had an issue with the same MBPro and 10.5

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Just installed 10.6.1 and still no native support for the AT&T USB Mercury Connect card - bummer. It does work with the Sierra 3G Watcher - but it worked natively in 10.5 Leopard.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I'm using a 17" MacBook Pro (3.06Ghz) & MacBook Air 2.13Ghz BOTH WITH SNOW LEOPARD (10.6.1).

I've compiled all of the solutions people have offered and rated them.

I have an AT&T USB Mercury Connect 3G Card. It worked great on 10.5.8

What happens if you try downloading and installing the driver again?

I have the USBConnect Mercury modem. I will get Snow Leopard soon and hope it doesn't affect its functionality...

Nope. FAIL Does not work!

Take a look at this site and in the first column it mentions ATT laptop connect card as incompatible at this time. I would click on ATT's website and ask them what's the problem.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

Hmm... ok, some progress....

Apparently I HADN'T fully removed the old Watcher software. I reran that, then rebooted.

Then I installed the Switcher software off the USB device. Didn't get that error message this time... Rebooted.

Now I am seeing the 5 bar display icon along the toolbar at the top, BUT:

Hovering over it, it shows that it's in perpetual state of "Initializing...."

Checking Network Setting Prefs, no sign of it in the adaptor list, and pressing + doesn't give me an option to add a WWAN or Sierra Wireless or anything like that.

Ideas?

Edit:

Ok, looks like I just need to select it as a Phone / Dialup. Did that. Selected Sierra Wireless / GSM from the list. However, I don't know what to put in for the Telephone Number, Account Name and Password options...

Ok, I FINALLY got it working...

You have to follow the directions EXACTLY....

Download their driver for Native driver use: http://www.sierrawireless.com/resources/software/8x0/Mac/ATT/MacOSXNativeSupport.dmg

Run that with the USB device removed. Run the Watcher Remover. Reboot.

Next, with the Dongle inserted, from that same package, install the other program (the switch thing.)

MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE DONGLE BEFORE REBOOTING!!!!

After reboot, insert the dongle and wait a few seconds....

I was prompted with a dialog box saying that a new Airport device was detected and did I want it to be configured? I said yes. It set up all the settings and suddenly it worked!

Hope this helps others... I swear, I went through similar hells when I first got this Macbook trying to get DUN working with my cell phone and Tiger, then with Leopard, then with getting the 881 working with Leopard. It's NEVER easy and NEVER standardized.

Here are the steps I used to get it working without needing to use the Sierra Wireless Software:

1. Open System Preferences -> Network
2. On the left hand list click on the Item with the Telephone icon
3. Click on the configuration drop-down, will probably be labeled "Default", and click on "Add Configuration..."
4. Name it whatever you want, I'll call it AT&T
5. Press the "Advanced..." button near the bottom of the window, it's to the left of the "?" help button
6. For the Vendor select "Sierra Wireless", For the Model Select "GSM" Then Press "OK" button.
7. click on the Checkbox that says "Show modem status in menu bar"

-- End of the One time set up --

---------------
How To Use:
---------------

1. Plug in the USB Modem stick.
2. Click on Telephone icon in the menubar then, Click on the AT&T menu item, "Or whatever you called the configuration in the setup instructions above."
3. click on Telephone icon again and click on Connect.

NOTES:
--------

I had to unplug the modem then plug back in to re-connect to the internet, Otherwise it would say "Authentication ..." then would Disconnect.

I encounter the exact same "fatal error" when I tried to connect my AT&T Sierra Wireless USBConnect Mercury through the AT&T supplied Sierra Wireless Watcher (v. 2.2.1) after installing Snow Leopard (MacOS 10.6) on my MacBook Pro 17" (3.06 Ghz). Previously, in Leopard (MacOS 10.5) it had been working fine.

Installing the firmware update had no effect. Installing on the Windows XP side through Parallels 4.0 Desktop produced the same error - the AT&T driver acknowledged there was a connection available but did not detect a card (figure that!).

What DID work on Snow Leopard was this:
1) Go into System Preferences and select the Modem connection with the telephone icon next to it.
2) Click "Advanced" in the lower right corner.
3) Under the "Modem" tab (which is the default opening), select the following pull-down menus:Vendor: "Sierra Wireless", Model: "GSM".
4) An APN setting of "ISP.CINGULAR" and CID of "1" will automatically pop up - don't mess with it and click "OK".
5) Back in the Network System Preferences "Modem" menu, simply click "Connect" (if you select "Show modem status in menu bar" you will be able to do this through the menu bar at the top of your screen in any application.​

The result is a MUCH faster and more reliable connection than Sierra's native control software has ever been. This is a significant improvement over my previous MacOS 10.5 configuration.

I hope this helps!

I had the same problem. Emailed Sierra Wireless tech support and received an extremely fast response:

Hello Matthew,

You need to install a new version of Watcher. Please click on the link provided below to download Build 2160 of Watcher.

http://www.sierrawireless.com/resources/software/mac/B2160_3G_Watcher_Gen.dmg

Regards,

Sierra Wireless

Installed it and this solved my problems.

Matt

I am using the Sierra Wireless USB 598U from Sprint. I removed the SprintView software and simply opened the network preferences and deleted my previous Sierra Wireless setting (Listed on the left).

Plugged/Unplugged my device and it prompted me to open network preferences.

After I did that I simply changed the username to #777 and left the password blank.

It connects very fast, show a wireless icon up on in the system tray and I dont have to deal with any of the SprintView software nonsense.

Now. It's extremely effing frustrating because I'm stuck in a contract, I have two Macs and I have to do a 4-day business trip tomorrow and I don't have a mother effing connection. Sierra Wireless Support is closed and I'm not about to revert back to pre-snow leopard. I just wanted Apple & Sierra Wireless to know that they freaking suck and yes I'm royally pissed off. Ya know, the Verizon / Sprint "Mi-Fi" works great! No drivers, no effort just turn it on and connect via Wi-Fi. I'm sick of AT&T's BS and yeah I know it's not AT&T's fault but they're the carrier and I hate them too. Sigh.

I've spent 3 freaking hours troubleshooting this card. Long story short, it doesn't freaking work! This is frustrating and I'm very very pissed off right now. $65 a month for this? I'm not even an early adopter! 10.6.1 is out.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
I too, am getting really, really frustrated.

The crazy part is that I HAVE NATIVE SUPPORT ON MY MAC MINI RUNNING 10.6.

COMPLETELY ****ING NATIVE. NO DRIVER, NO 3G WATCHER, NOTHING.

On my MBA I get this after trying the Native method: "The communication device selected for your connection does not exist."

jdovejr

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
Working Now

Had to boot the macbook in 32 bit mode and not 64. hold down 3 and 2 at startup. see if it works then.

Nak

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Portland, OR
I updated to 10.6.1 last night, and managed to get my USBConnect 881 working without Watcher.

- Uninstalled Watcher (drag & drop into AppZapper)
- In Network Prefs, deleted all the wireless modems that were created whenever I'd connect
- Went into /System/Library/Extensions and deleted all the .kext's that began with "Sierra" (I believe there were four of them).
- Reboot
- Plug in my 881, it mounts the TrueInstall volume - eject it
- The wireless device is then visible and the OS notices a new network interface so open Network Preferences and click on "Apply"
- The signal strength meter should be in your menu bar, right click it and select "Connect" - that worked for me.

To check that this wasn't a fluke, I selected "Turn off WWAN" in the same menu, waited for the signal strength meter to disappear, then unplugged the 881. Plugged it back in - it mounts TrueInstall again so had to eject it again but was able to connect again.

I also rebooted the system and it behaved the same way (i.e., I could connect).

So the remaining issue is that TrueInstall keeps mounting since the switcher isn't there.

I then installed the latest switcher and it, of course, complained that the kext wasn't compatible with the kernel. I let the install finish and rebooted.

After logging in, I plugged in the 881 and saw it mount TrueInstall, dismount it, and then the wireless device appeared! From there I was able to connect as described above.

So basically I'm back to where I was on 10.5.8 - hope you get the same results.

Nak

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Nak - thanks for the help here - this is the closest I have had it to working - but it says it cannot connect to the PPP server or ISP - can you tell me what settings you are usingG Thanks!

barryosx

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Missing something?

I am totally frustrated as well. The non-watcher driver route looks very appealing but I am not seeing the option to set up a modem service:
1. Open System Preferences -> Network
2. On the left hand list click on the Item with the Telephone icon

I have no such option,
Am I missing something?

I'm using a:
2.8 GHz Intel unibody Core 2
OS X 10.6.1
AT&T USB Connect Mercury
(Sierra Wireless Compass 885)

Nak

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Portland, OR
Here are my settings:

After plugging in the modem and connecting to the cell network, Network Preferences for my "Aircard" device are:

Configuration: Default
Account Name: ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Connect Automatically when needed: unchecked
Show WWAN status in menu bar: checked

In the Advanced screen for this interface (note that I didn't setup or change any of these, they were setup automatically by the OS):

WWAN:Vendor: Sierra Wireless
WWAN:Model: GSM
WWAN:APN: ISP.CINGULAR
WWAN:CID: 1

DNS: My DNS servers (I use OpenDNS)

WINS:NetBIOS Name: MOBILE001
WINS:Workgroup: <nothing specified>
WINS:WINS Servers: <nothing specified>

Proxies:Select a protocol to configure: <none checked>
Proxies:Exclude simple hostnames: <unchecked>
Proxies:Bypass proxy settings...: <nothing specified>
Proxies:Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV): <checked>

PPP:Connect automatically when needed: <unchecked>
PPP:prompt every <30> minutes to maintain connection: <unchecked>
PPP:Disconnect if idle for 10 minutes: <unchecked>
PPP:Disconnect when user logs out: <checked>
PPP:Disconnect when switching user accounts: <checked>
PPP:Send PPP echo packets: <unchecked>
PPP:Use verbose logging: <checked>

Hope that helps.

Nak

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Thanks Nak - I appreciate the help. Barry OSX - follow Nak's directions exactly and it will work natively - I even used the app zapper application.

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Bummer - I followed NAK's instructions to the "T" and it still does not work - I keep getting the PPP error? Bummer.

barryosx

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Still not working either!

Total bummer!!

The best I have been able to track down is to use:

"If you want to use Apple WWAN (wireless wide area network) native support, your computer must have Mac OS X 10.5.6 or higher installed. You should also have a valid activated SIM card.

Sierra Wireless provides a switch driver that switches the Mercury (Compass 885) USB modem from USB mass storage device mode to Modem mode. After you install the switch driver, you can use the Apple native WWAN application to connect to the Internet.

Note: Do not insert the USB modem into your computer until you install the software.

1. Download the driver for WWAN native support for Mac OS X 10.5.6 from here:
http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/show_support_and_downloads.aspx?id=4,44,1,2

The downloaded files appear as shown. Double click Installer.app to run the installation. "

***** Its actually states inside that the installer works with OSX 10.6.1 but the installer fails for me. Its trying to install "Driver 1.0.7.1" but the installer crashes.

barryosx

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
O K ! It Works....

After calling Sierra Wirelsss I found out a few things.

1. B2288_3G_Watcher_Gen.dmg - for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.5.x, 10.4.11 - Sierra Wireless 3G Watcher Version 2288 (3.21 MB) [9/4/2009] IS THE CORRECT VERSION OF WATCHER!

2. You need to be running 10.6.1. Not 10.6 - IT WON'T WORK IN 10.6

3. You MUST remove the old version version of Watcher. You can use the Watcher uninstaller or AppZapper - (make sure you go into into /System/Library/Extensions and deleted all the .kext's that began with "Sierra")

4. run install (B2288) - reboot and it started right up! (Didn't test 64 bit mode yet, Sierra only warrants 32 bit so far)

5. Using Apple native DUN & Apple WWAN only works w/ 10.5.8 (Apple hasn't released the native drivers for snow leopard yet)

Go to http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/ and fill out carrier/OSX info and you'll find the downloads.

Worked the first time!
Hope this helps!

djjewelz

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
- Plug in my 881, it mounts the TrueInstall volume - eject it
- The wireless device is then visible and the OS notices a new network interface so open Network Preferences and click on "Apply"

Nak,

I followed your directions, but TruInstall keeps remounting itself like a rabbit in heat after I eject it.

Any ideas on how to prevent that so that the wireless device becomes visible and I can proceed with the rest of your directions?

Thanks.

Nak

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Portland, OR
djjewelz,

That's pretty bizarre. I can only guess that the device is actually disconnecting (at the USB protocol level) since when you eject a "normal" drive (like a USB hard drive), it stays ejected until you unplug/plug it.

Maybe the Apple WWAN drivers are not there or not loading?

Sorry man, I really am stumped by what you're seeing - never heard of that before.

Nak

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Anybody getting a PPP error when trying to connect with the native drivers? I can get it to work with the latest watcher - but no go natively.

Arnoldcg4

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
Still not working. Ouch!

After calling Sierra Wirelsss I found out a few things.

1. B2288_3G_Watcher_Gen.dmg - for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.5.x, 10.4.11 - Sierra Wireless 3G Watcher Version 2288 (3.21 MB) [9/4/2009] IS THE CORRECT VERSION OF WATCHER!

2. You need to be running 10.6.1. Not 10.6 - IT WON'T WORK IN 10.6

3. You MUST remove the old version version of Watcher. You can use the Watcher uninstaller or AppZapper - (make sure you go into into /System/Library/Extensions and deleted all the .kext's that began with "Sierra")

4. run install (B2288) - reboot and it started right up! (Didn't test 64 bit mode yet, Sierra only warrants 32 bit so far)

5. Using Apple native DUN & Apple WWAN only works w/ 10.5.8 (Apple hasn't released the native drivers for snow leopard yet)

Go to http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/ and fill out carrier/OSX info and you'll find the downloads.

Worked the first time!
Hope this helps!

Thanks, Barry. I'm probably the dumbest person on this thread so I have a few questions:

(1) I went to [name]/System/Library... but there was no folder named "Extensions." What am I missing? If it helps, I also did a file search for "Sierra" and "Kext" but got nothing.

(2) When I go into System Preferences, there's no "Modem" link. But when I go into Network, there's "AirCard" listed (I think that's my 881) with a yellow light to the left. There's no phone image and nothing that says "Modem." Also the "Connect" and "Apply" links are light gray... so clicking them does nothing.

Help, anyone. Thanks.

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Anybody other than the folks here having any luck getting the USB Mercury to connect to AT&T with the native drivers?

barryosx

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks, Barry. I'm probably the dumbest person on this thread so I have a few questions:

(1) I went to [name]/System/Library... but there was no folder named "Extensions." What am I missing? If it helps, I also did a file search for "Sierra" and "Kext" but got nothing.

(2) When I go into System Preferences, there's no "Modem" link. But when I go into Network, there's "AirCard" listed (I think that's my 881) with a yellow light to the left. There's no phone image and nothing that says "Modem." Also the "Connect" and "Apply" links are light gray... so clicking them does nothing.

Help, anyone. Thanks.

Arnold,
#1. the folder is in /Systems/Library/Extensions
you can find it easier by typing Shift CMD G and past the above path in that field.

When it opens that is the folder you want. Scroll down and look for files that begin with Sierra. delete those. If they are not there don't panic. it means you either deleted them or they where never there in the first place. If your running 10.6.1, the Sierra B2288_3G_Watcher will work. Just install it and restart.

#2. what you are describing is the native apple wwan. Using Apple native DUN & Apple WWAN only works w/ 10.5.8 (Apple hasn't released the native drivers for snow leopard 10.6.1 yet) I don't know if it will work (but I doubt it) with 10.6, but the latest watcher doesn't work in 10.6 so your stuck. I too would love to not use Watcher but the time hasn't come. You either need the Watcher drivers or an Apple driver for the apple network interface to recognize your AT&T card. You can't even being to use your aircard without this.

jeme - I think this applies to you also.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
Ok I am far from an expert and really don't know what I'm doing. However with help from this thread and a little luck I’ve managed to get my AT&T USB Mercury (Sierra 885) Modem Device to work on my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard in both 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode. I’ll do my best to re-create the steps I took. I hope I did not forget exactly what I did.

The big surprise to me is that it’s working without using either AT&T Communication Manager software or Sierra 3G Watcher software. In other words, the modem device is being supported natively within Snow Leopard. Native support is known for this modem device in 32 bit mode but not 64 bit mode. I had to take extra steps but in the end it works perfectly.

For the record, I have Mac OS X 10.6.1.

I performed the following steps in 32 bit mode.

1)First I installed the latest Sierra’s 3G Watcher software from Sierra's site.

After installation a re-boot is needed. I installed with the modem device not connected to the notebook.

2)Next I installed the latest firmware which is also available at the Sierra site. Of course the modem device has to be connected. The on-screen instructions tell when to connect the modem.

3)Next I used 3G Watcher to connect to the internet. I then wrote down the DNS numbers in the profile found under AT&T in the Network Preferences of OS X. From past experience I made an educated guess that I would need the numbers.

4) I then disconnected the modem and uninstalled 3G Watcher using the uninstall feature within the application.

5)Next I opened Finder and navigated to System/Library/Extensions and trashed the kext files for Sierra.

6)Next I re-booted with the modem device connected.

7)When the system came up the device was recognized as a TruInstall disk. I ejected it and the system recognized the device as a modem. A message appeared that a new Network Connection was found ask if I wanted to apply. I did.

8)I tried to connect but I kept getting error messages. I then went to System Preferences and under Network in the HSPA profile I placed the DNS numbers I copied earlier.

9)I rebooted again with the modem device connected. When the system came up it recognized the device as a disk; therefore, I ejected it. Immediately the bars appeared at the top of the screen and the darn thing connected!!! I surfed the internet and it was fast!!

10)I then rebooted my notebook holding down 6 and 4 to go into 64 bit mode. Once again the device was recognized as a disk. I ejected and had no problems connecting to the internet.

Airport is completely turned off and I have no ethernet cable connected. I am definitely using the modem in both 64 bit and 32 bit natively without any Software from AT&T or Sierra.

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Darn it! I tried this with the DNS numbers from the Watcher install and still could not get this to work. Darn it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.