Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
This might be a stupid question, but I haven't figured it out yet, and it seems like there's probably an easy method.

I recorded an acoustic guitar part with two microphones (one close and one further back), and I'd like to find a way to smoothly crossfade between them. I've previously used automation to control wet/dry signal from effect plug-ins, which was easy, MIDI-controllable, and non-destructive. Is there a similar way to control A/B signal using the automation system?

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
The crossfade tool (at least as far as I understand it) seems like kind of a pain for what I want to do. I'm hoping to have two tracks that are played for the entire song, and smoothly change the balance between them over time (i.e., more room sound at some points, more proximity effect-bass at other points). Basically, I guess I'm hoping there's a way to use automation to control both track faders in opposite directions (like a DJ's crossfader or wet/dry knob).

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
Check the manual for how to do automation. Click the "a" button the keyboard to get started. You'll be able to either draw it in/use breakpoints or record fader moves. Just change the volume automation for the tracks in question.

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Check the manual for how to do automation. Click the "a" button the keyboard to get started. You'll be able to either draw it in/use breakpoints or record fader moves. Just change the volume automation for the tracks in question.

Sorry, I think I was unclear. I'm familiar with how to use automation, but I was wondering if there's a way to set an automation parameter that controls A/B mix between two tracks (maybe using a bus channel?). The alternative is drawing curves for both tracks, which means doing some math/tweaking to maintain the total output of the two tracks (A+B) at a constant level as each individual track changes.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Sorry, I think I was unclear. I'm familiar with how to use automation, but I was wondering if there's a way to set an automation parameter that controls A/B mix between two tracks (maybe using a bus channel?). The alternative is drawing curves for both tracks, which means doing some math/tweaking to maintain the total output of the two tracks (A+B) at a constant level as each individual track changes.

Could you "fake it" by using pan? Pan, I think keeps L+R at a constant level. Then when you are done just ignore one of the stereo pairs

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009

I saw a way to copy and reverse automation data on a video in the TNT2 series at macprovideo. I think this may help...

Draw / record volume automation or fades on track 1.

Open the Automation Event List (key command only. Look in KC window)

Now Open a new Arrange Page. The new page will show region automation regions.

Copy the automation region to the other track.

Select it and open the Transform window and set the Conditions Status to Control data. Set the Data Byte 2 Operations to Reverse.

Click on 'Select & Operate'.

You now have a type of crossfade written as automation.

:cool:

completeidiot23

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2009
maybe send the channels to an aux channel using the same bus. then use the autoomation to automate the send levels to each bus?

I'm not a pro, and that was just off the top of my head

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.