Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvelous

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
Didn't work for me.

Bummer! Thank you for your response. I hope someone (more technical than me) will figure out a solution to connect a Snow Leopard Mac to an HP LaserJet 1020...

For now, I'll send documents over to my Windows machine and connect my LaserJet 1020 to that Windows machine. Yuck.

Thanks.

Legitimus

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Insecto's Method Worked

Hey, everyone.

I made some instructions that are as simple as I can possibly imagine. It is exactly what I did and I am able to print to my 1020. No guarantees that this will work for you and if you know absolutely nothing about the command line it may be better to steer clear. That being said, it's so cookie-cutter that you should be able to do it regardless.

Standard disclaimer: this may not work for you and could potentially screw up your Snow Leopard install (although that's probably pretty unlikely).

Download the two files here: http://idisk.mac.com/geoffchapman-Public?view=web. One is a text file with the instructions and the other is a .zip file - expand it and you will find the Automator app I describe in the text file. FYI this app does not do the install for you (although I wish it did) - it's only to help with a small bit once you've got everything done.

Please post back with your system config and whether or not it worked. I am going to be around today - I'll try to get back to any quick questions. But I am going to be out of the country for two weeks starting tomorrow so at that point you're on your own.

Good luck!

This worked for me. It did indeed take a long time to download some of the files. And I had the same experience as Insecto describes at the end in terms of having to power up with the USB in, etc. But as long as you carefully cut and paste the commands in terminal, even a monkey-see, monkey do person like me got it done.

Parsa

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
foomatic

The Foomatic/Ghostscript option mentioned above did not work for me any more than Gutenprint or any other 1022 driver.

Parsa

Parsa

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Longer terminal method

I tried the longer Terminal method from Insecto, and it did not automatically find the 1020 file when looking for the printer software. There were a lot of Foomatic choices, but the 1022 did not work. So I tried the "other" option when selecting printer software. I went into the Foomatic folder that had loaded onto my main user (admin) window. I opened all the folders in list form, and the only choices allowed ended in ".ppd".
So I picked <HP-LaserJet_1020.ppd>, and it worked. Is there someplace where this is supposed to be other than my main folder? Where do all the normal printer choices reside? I can't find them.

Further note: I still have to run the Automator script to get it to print after powering up or when it goes into idle. However, it's working now. Woosh. Thanks Insecto.

glazunov

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
perfect!

Follow the instructions here exactly. I can confirm that this works (so far) for my 1020 on Snow Leopard.

No idea if it's going to be possible to get the old driver to work but the 10.6 Printers folder looks quite a bit different. I wouldn't count on it.

if you can read and follow instructions this works like a charm. you don't have to be a guru. it will take some time though. the only way you will know if it works is to try it.

thanks,
:)

mike105

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
I have HP 1018 and the steps posted by Insecto worked perfectly. I only had to modify one line (in step 5) to get the driver for my printer.

It takes a while to install this, but it works and saved me from buying a new printer.
Thanks!

deahrens

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
Hp 1020

I am downloading the new update from Apple in previous post! will report. I have had a bad time with this whole thing!

elconcho

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
Reports that 10.6.1 update fixes the 1022 drivers working with the 1020.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board...&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=3001#M3001

I Haven't tried it myself, will report back with results.

Well, i'm sorry to report that it doesn't work for me. My printer is connected directly to the computer via USB, not to an airport like in the post quoted above. Maybe that's the difference.

I can see the 1020 and select to install the 1022 driver, but when i print, documents go to the queue, then vanish as though they've printed. The printer doesn't budge.

Crap.

Digital Jive

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
I have a Mac Pro with that printer while my mum-in-law has an iMac. I updated both machines to Snow Leopard and couldn't get the Laserjet 1020 to print from either one... items vanished from the queue. On my MacPro I updated to 10.6.1, installed the HP Update and then tried to use the LJ 1022 driver: and it worked fine! But on my mum-in-law's computer I did the same thing and it didn't work... she can select the printer but when she prints the jobs just disappear. I tried resetting the printer queue and reinstalling the HP update to no effect. I wonder if perhaps there are different versions of the LJ 1020 which are causing this.

david907

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
HP 1020 with Snow Leopard

My HP 1020 hadn't worked since installing Snow Leopard.

After installing Friday's SL update 10.6.1, the additional printer drivers, and the new HP 1022 driver, the 1020 worked perfectly first time!

And it's still working - brilliant!!

johnsmclean

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008

After installing Friday's SL update 10.6.1, the additional printer drivers, and the new HP 1022 driver, the 1020 worked perfectly first time!

Still not working for me. What do you mean by additional printer drivers ?

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006

Congratulations! Could you please share (in a little more detail) what you did. I'm stumped!

Docjohn61

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
I've been reading this thread closely because I didn't want my hp 1020 to become useless once I upgraded to SL. After reading that some had success with 10.6.1 and the hp driver update, I thought I'd give it a try.

Needless to say, I am completely baffled. I did the SL upgrade, then 10.6.1, then hp driver update with my 1020 connected via my Airport Extreme. I chose the 1022 driver and it worked great the very first time! But then all of a sudden it stopped working and I have no idea why. I don't remember making any changes to the system or doing anything unusual. What gets me is that it was working fine for a half hour of so and then it just stopped...???? Don't get it.

Looks like I'm headed for a restore to 10.5.8 because my wife and kids need the printer to work. Bummer! I hope hp and/or Apple can get this ironed out soon.

qweezz

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Hi everybody

I found the solution on another forum and I have to say it works nice for my suprise. Here it is:

1) Make sure your running 10.6.1
2) Download and Install the latest HP drivers here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907
3) Go to System Preferences and add a new printer
4) Make sure your 1020 is plugged via USB
5) Make sure it says "Searching for new drivers"
6) In the Print Using drop down click "Select Printer Software"
7) Find the driver that says "HP LaserJet 1022 1.0.0.148"
8) Click Add and you should be good to go.

deahrens

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
Not seeing driver

Reply to last post. I updated the HP driver via Apple and the driver I get is not what is listed above. The driver is listed as 1022 - Glutenprint v5.2.3.
Where is the driver you are referring to??!!

Thanks.

deahrens

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
Found Driver, not working!

I did find the driver in the earlier posts. Yes, it located the driver, no the 1020 does not work. Funny, I get the exact same scenario each time. It says it is printing, I get the queue to come up, it says it has printed. NOTHING comes out!!!!! It doesn't matter whether I used the old driver, the "new" driver, or the newest one that is on the Apple website above. It is all the same old crap, no printer that works. Honestly, I may go beat the printer to pieces because that WILL solve my problem.
I am glad it worked for others. I wont buy HP ever again. I wasted hours and hours on this problem.

qweezz

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
deahrens

Have you found HP LaserJet 1022 1.0.0.148 in the list of drivers?

1. Open system preference
2. Printers & fax
3. Press + in the right of window (add a new printer)
4. In the open window choose HP Laserjet 1020 (it won't find any drivers)
5. Then press - choose printer's software
6. In search box type 148 (it will find few drivers and one of them will be HP laserjet 1022, 1.0.0.148 )
7. Choose this one and try to print something

Maybe you should unplug your printer and then plug-in and/or reset printing system. (Have your updated to 10.6.1? As I understand it is necessary in this situation)

Sorry for my english))

elconcho

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
I did find the driver in the earlier posts. Yes, it located the driver, no the 1020 does not work. Funny, I get the exact same scenario each time. It says it is printing, I get the queue to come up, it says it has printed. NOTHING comes out!!!!! It doesn't matter whether I used the old driver, the "new" driver, or the newest one that is on the Apple website above. It is all the same old crap, no printer that works. Honestly, I may go beat the printer to pieces because that WILL solve my problem.
I am glad it worked for others. I wont buy HP ever again. I wasted hours and hours on this problem.

Exactly the same problem for me. Maybe our 1020's have a different firmware or something than these other lucky b*stards who got it working with the 1022 drivers. If you come up with anything please post it here. I'll do the same.

deahrens

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
qweez post

Qweez,
thanks. Your English is perfect.;)
I did try all of the steps with no luck. Perhaps it is the firmware? I have tried many times! Does anyone know how to get rid of my software for the 1020/1022 entirely and re-install that from HP? I assume there is more to install than just the drivers that we all are speaking of. Do I simply goto the Printers file in my hard drive and drag the HP one into the trash? I tend to throw out more than I should when deleting!

If anyone has thoughts, please let me know. Thanks.

antonisp

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
When i do make install of the foo2zjs i get :

cd icc2ps; make all
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

It is possible that certain products which can be built using this
software module might form inventions protected by patent rights in
some countries (e.g., by patents about arithmetic coding algorithms
owned by IBM and AT&T in the USA). Provision of this software by the
author does NOT include any licences for any patents. In those
countries where a patent licence is required for certain applications
of this software module, you will have to obtain such a licence
yourself.
#
# Installation Dependencies...
#
*** Error: foomatic-rip is not installed!
*** Install foomatic package(s) for your OS
make: *** [install-test] Error 1

i cant seem to get pass this, thanks

antonisp

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
Hey, everyone.

I made some instructions that are as simple as I can possibly imagine. It is exactly what I did and I am able to print to my 1020. No guarantees that this will work for you and if you know absolutely nothing about the command line it may be better to steer clear. That being said, it's so cookie-cutter that you should be able to do it regardless.

Standard disclaimer: this may not work for you and could potentially screw up your Snow Leopard install (although that's probably pretty unlikely).

Download the two files here: http://idisk.mac.com/geoffchapman-Public?view=web. One is a text file with the instructions and the other is a .zip file - expand it and you will find the Automator app I describe in the text file. FYI this app does not do the install for you (although I wish it did) - it's only to help with a small bit once you've got everything done.

Please post back with your system config and whether or not it worked. I am going to be around today - I'll try to get back to any quick questions. But I am going to be out of the country for two weeks starting tomorrow so at that point you're on your own.

Good luck!

everything is ok until this part, cd icc2ps; make all
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

It is possible that certain products which can be built using this
software module might form inventions protected by patent rights in
some countries (e.g., by patents about arithmetic coding algorithms
owned by IBM and AT&T in the USA). Provision of this software by the
author does NOT include any licences for any patents. In those
countries where a patent licence is required for certain applications
of this software module, you will have to obtain such a licence
yourself.
#
# Installation Dependencies...
#
*** Error: foomatic-rip is not installed!
*** Install foomatic package(s) for your OS
make: *** [install-test] Error 1

after this i cant proceed...

dustingold09

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Canada
Hi dibara2003,

I had bought the HP LaserJet 1020 printer few years ago and it has been working great under Snow Leopard.
If you want to know more about LS ,should check the link given below .

Laser Printers

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I don't quite get what the issue is.

The Laserjet 1020 was never really meant to work with OS X. The "solution" was always some kind of workaround.

I bought one two years ago to use with Leopard without paying attention to whether it was supported. Turned out to be a big PITA to get running right (plus the output wasn't the greatest) and picked up a Brother instead. Worked natively.

Using a Brother HL 5370DW Laser right now.

- Excellent SL drivers
- True 1200x1200 dpi (none of this "effective dpi" garbage) and available 2400x600dpi for graphics
- very fast, even when printing in 1200dpi
- high quality text output. Some of the most dark and crisp 1200 dpi text output I've seen. If you've got expensive fonts, you can do them some justice.
- high-yield workhorse, with 250-sheet capacity paper tray; 50-sheet capacity multipurpose tray, and available 300-sheet tray.
- wireless connectivity
- high reliability ratings
- cheap to maintain (toner and drum are very affordable)
- Decent PostScript emulation
- Only $230 Canadian. $219.95 on Amazon. Getting excellent reviews. I'd expect to pay around $320-$350 for such a unit. It's easily the equal to my previous HP Laserjet P2015, which ran me nearly $360 CDN.
Can't go wrong. It's a quality product at a very affordable price. Brother is quite a good name and their customer service is excellent.

I know this doesn't help you, but if at all in your power, ditch that Laserjet 1020 (that was never fully supported anyway.) You can get so much more value for just a bit more money. The 1020 is just a mickey-mouse product all around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.