Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
I have been using Visualhub up until I installed Snow Leopard which no longer converts properly, you get jerky playback.
So after a bit of googling I found 2 options that people seem to be using Apple's compressor & Ivideo converter
Anyone know which is best?

I got ivideo but the apple TV preset shows a resolution of 320x240 surley this isn't right? should I set this to 1280x720? or leave this it doesn't seem to make the file size any bigger or maybe forget it and use the Compressor?

Appreciate any help & advice please.

boomish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Well after a bit of testing sure enough Compressor 3.5 now has an AppleTV preset and can read MKV files with Perian installed but it just hangs really, it took hours to just load the file and thats on a 8core Mac Pro.

I tried opening it with Quicktime to save as an Apple TV but that failed.

I also tried iVideo Converter more but it still came out the wrong size, there is tons of settings tho so I am sure there is a keep aspect ratio somewhere.

Looks like nothing as simple as the good old Visualhub for Snow Leopard.

if anyone else comes up with a replacement let me know!

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
sure enough Compressor 3.5 now has an AppleTV preset and can read MKV files with Perian installed but it just hangs really, it took hours to just load the file and thats on a 8core Mac Pro.

open the MKV file within quicktime 7

Save as self contained .mov file

open the .mov file in compressor (should be instantaneous)

Select AppleTV, and make sure to set-up Qmaster for your rendering on your MacPro to distribute the load to all the cores.

This is how I do it.

boomish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
open the MKV file within quicktime 7

Save as self contained .mov file

open the .mov file in compressor (should be instantaneous)

Select AppleTV, and make sure to set-up Qmaster for your rendering on your MacPro to distribute the load to all the cores.

This is how I do it.

Thanks so much for this, I could never suss out how to get the qmaster going, so I gave up as Compressor was taking ages. But having tried everything else, handbrake mpeg streamclip mkv tools etc etc I am now back to this, I exported as a Mov with Mpeg streamclip, which works really quick, if the movie didn't have AC3 I could simply save as MP4!
Then opened the Mov in compressor after finding this tutorial fhttp://www.devia.be/news/article/setting-up-a-virtual-cluster-to-speed-up-compressor
on how to get the cluster going! now I can see all 8 cores running and processing although looking long will hopefully work..it's encoding now so I'll post back when it's done..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.