Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Camper van thief siphons off raw sewage instead of diesel

By Calum Macdonald

A BUNGLING thief tried to siphon diesel from a camper van but got a mouthful of raw sewage.

The would-be raider missed the fuel tank in the dark and put a tube into the van's septic tank by mistake.

And after sucking up the foul-smelling waste, he threw up on the spot and fled.

Pensioner John O'Hare found a puddle of vomit and an abandoned petrol container when he stepped out of the van in the morning.

And last night he smiled: 'I hope the thief has learned from his experience and given up his evil ways.'

John, 73, and wife May, 69 of Arden, Glasgow had spent a week touring Scotland before stopping off for the final night of their holiday in Helensburgh, Dunbartonshire.

John said: 'We made sure everything was safe and secure and settled down for the night. The following morning we were disgusted to find that under the cover of darkness a thief had attempted to siphon off diesel from the fuel tank.

'But fortunately for us, he was left with a nasty taste in his mouth.'

John found a plastic siphon tube and an empty fuel container next to their camper.

The contents of the septic tank had been drained and lay on the ground next to a pool of the thief's vomit. Also abandoned at the scene was a pile of pound coins which John believes may have been stolen from a vending machine earlier in the night.

John and May donated the abandoned pound coins to Oxfam.

John said: 'We hope this thief will give up robbing visitors and tourists seeking a peaceful and pleasant holiday after what happened to him.'

=====

Nasty.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm pretty sure I've heard of that happening before, although the last time I read about it the guy was so sick he couldn't even get away.

You'd think even if you were a stupid and desperate enough criminal to siphon deisel out of a motor home, you'd have the sense to maybe take a whiff before you start to make sure it wasn't raw sewage you were about to start sucking on.

Of course, you'd have to be pretty stupid to try to start siphoning any kind of fuel by sucking on the hose--haven't these people ever heard of a hand pump? Might be a worthwhile purchase with some of the change he/she stole from that vending machine.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
He is lucky that he didn't die from a massive infection. The high gas prices are causing people to do such stupid things. :eek:

CAM

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2004
Lillington, NC
Ran off, huh? Well, I'm sure he'll be back with a lawyer to sue the owners and/or the RV manufacturer for not using neon signs to mark the tanks. ;)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
CAM said:
Ran off, huh? Well, I'm sure he'll be back with a lawyer to sue the owners and/or the RV manufacturer for not using neon signs to mark the tanks. ;)

only in america, my friend. only in america... :D

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
krimson said:
Sounds kind of like this from Snopes.com

This is getting irritating, it's the second time today I've read an urban legend posing as news, and one of them from a source that many people consider to be reliable mainstream news. Has the media gotten so bad that they just publish any idiotic story that comes across the desk, without even checking?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I was laughing my you-know-what off at this until I read the snopes.com article and realized... Duh, there's no way this could have happened!

The sewage outlet is always on the underside of the camper, and considerably bigger than a gas cap. It wouldn't even be possible to siphon out of that... gravity is what empties the sewage tank, and on top of that nothing will even come out unless the valve is opened.

Oh well, it's funny in imagery at least. :)

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
on the contrary, my family have used or have rented a camper van in which the opening (of the sewage) is on the side (maybe not on the same side of the van).

to empty the "stuff", one has to pull out the container and dump it "somewhere". thank God i did not have to do that.

i think this is for smaller camper vans...

while this story may be a hoax. i can say that it is more probable, that something like this will happen, than impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.