Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
In 10.6 Snow Leopard on Safari 4, the menu is there, you just can't see it. The text has no color. By sheer luck I was reaching down under my desk to grab something and looked up to see the GLIMS preference panel I had left open, then an outline of text.

It turns out that if you tilt your monitor back you can indeed see the GLIMS preference panel text outline enough to navigate and get it set up the way you want. Perhaps changing the contrast or something will help as well.

Either way, the menu is indeed there! Good luck. :)

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Holy crap, the man is right... That is just the weirdest bug ever. "Workaround: tilt screen"!?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
This might just be one of the best finds of the year!! I LOVE GLIMS and was missing having it set up the way I like it. Good job man!

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
can't seem to find any preferences on my 10.6 safari 4. I installed the plug in now though, can that be it?

MarkSieber

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
Thanks, this really helps. It's easier to read the faded text if you zoom in (control plus scroll or using the zoom function in the Accessibility panel in System Preferences.) At normal size I couldn't read some of the text.

Glims folks--a fix soon, please? : )

Jtlx

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
South East England
Fix for problem

If you install Glims when Safari is closed you will get the proper Prefs Menu. Well it worked for me after I couldn't get the panel to appear no matter how weirdly I tilted my Macbook Pro! A proper install will tell you it has installed successfully. Took me 5 attempts until I worked this out.

ActionAmerica

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
Texas
Easy FIX for Missing GLIMS Preference Panel Tab

Before I go any further, I want to emphasize one thing.

CLOSE THE SAFARI PREFERENCES WINDOW BEFORE TRYING THIS FIX!!!

If you don't do that, it won't work and you'll just have to do it again.

Now, on to the FIX.

=========

GLIMS is great. GLIMS is wonderful! GLIMS is better than chocolate… I take that back. It's almost as good as chocolate. But GLIMS has had a nagging problem through several iterations. The GLIMS Preference Panel fails to show up after a new install or upgrade. Well here's the good news.

The FIX is EASY.

1. Open Safari.
  2. Make sure that the Safari Preferences Window is CLOSED! !!! This is CRITICAL !!! If the Safari Preferences Window is open when you quit Safari, this won't work!
  3. Quit Safari.
  4. Go to ~/Library/Preferences (to get to ~/Library, Option-Click on the "Go" menu in Finder and select "Library")
  5. Move the file "com.apple.Safari.plist" to the Trash. (This file will be recreated upon restarting Safari. If you had left the Safari Preferences Window open when quitting Safari, then the file would be re-created from Cache and this would not work.)
  6. Re-start Safari.
  7. Open Safari Preferences and you should see the GLIMS Preference Panel at the far right in the Preferences Tabs.

I have not tested my theory about installs yet. But it seems reasonable to assume that the reason why some people have this missing Preference Panel problem and some don't, is because the people who have this issue had the Safari Preferences window open when they quit Safari, before installing GLIMS. If anyone wants to try installing GLIMS with the Preferences window open and then again, with it closed, to verify this theory, I'm sure that lot's of people will appreciate whatever you have to say about it - especially the developers at MacHangout.

I've had people tell me that this didn't work, but in EVERY case, the Preferences window had not been closed before quitting Safari and it worked after this step was included, so I'll nag you about it one more time.

BEFORE TRYING TO APPLY THIS FIX, OPEN SAFARI, CLOSE THE SAFARI PREFERENCES WINDOW, AND QUIT SAFARI!

I hope this helps.

[UPDATE 10/17/14]
After performing the above procedure, the Glims Preference Tab will be visible again. But after a time, it will disappear once more. I have not yet taken the time to figure out what causes this. However, whatever changes you made to the Glims Preferences, before the Glims tab disappeared, are not lost when the Glims Tab eventually does go away again. All that this disappearance means for you, is that if you want to make further changes to the Glims Preferneces, after the tab goes away, you will have to repeat the above procedure, to bring the tab back. That's a small price to pay for the great functionality that Glims gives us, especially since most people set their Glims preferences only once or twice in the life of their computer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.