Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lego8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Hi,

My iPhone is adding the US country code (+1) to all the phone numbers on it, and also on Google Maps.

In iTunes, my phone number appears as 1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx

How do I remove this? I don't want to see the country code, and I don't know why it's appearing. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Hi,

My iPhone is adding the US country code (+1) to all the phone numbers on it, and also on Google Maps.

How do I remove this? I don't want to see the country code, and I don't know why it's appearing. Does anyone know how to resolve this?
Settings>Phone>International Assist OFF.

It thinks you're abroad, for some reason. I don't know where you are, but it thinks you have an American phone, and are now outside the country. Anyway, turn off International Assist, and it will no longer be an issue.

lego8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
I turned off International Assist and "1"-- the country code-- still remains.
Here are some screen shots. Please help me fix this.

cdefelice

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Did you ever figure out how to fix this? I am having the exact same issue. As far as I can tell, it didn't happen until I synced my contacts with Microsoft Outlook 2007. I really want to get rid of the stupid 1 in front of all my numbers. It is incredibly irritating...

YoToddy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
Sorry to resurrect an such an old thread, but I am having the same issue. It's not related to the phone or the SIM card. It's something on AT&T's side that is causing this to happen and they are not going to do anything about it because they say it is a non-issue (which it is). I do find it extremely annoying and wish they would look into it a little further than what they did. At this point, the only way I can resolve it is to get a new phone number which I am not going to do. When I spoke to Tier 3 tech support, I told them that my wife's iPhone, my mom's, and five of my friends iphone do not do this so why mine. Their response: they have two iphone's there in the office that are doing it so it must be normal. But I do agree, it is SO freaking annoying! Also, something new changed with my Vonage account. When my wife calls me from home it shows up as 11901#######. Vonage is sending out the country code with outgoing caller ID and since whatever "non-issue" AT&T has going on that's adding the +1 country code to all my incoming calls, that explains why I am getting two 1's in front of the incoming call. So if I touch that number in my recent call list, the call doesn't go through because it has two country code's in front of the local number. Man this sucks!

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I'm bringing this thread back to life again, as I am having the same issue. All my contacts are in the United States, so I don't need them to listed as such. How can you remove the country out of contacts?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I'm bringing this thread back to life again, as I am having the same issue. All my contacts are in the United States, so I don't need them to listed as such. How can you remove the country out of contacts?
I have the same problem -- none of my US contacts show "United States" or "United States of America" in Outlook or Entourage, but now they are all showing "United States" on both my iPad and my iPhone. This is EXTREMELY annoying. I don't want a country to show unless one is specifically defined in the contact in Outlook/Entourage.

jc.sutherland

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Oposite Problem

I actually have the reverse problem. Here in Canada I need the 1 in front of the number to call long distance. However when I uploaded all my contacts from my server, they come up as (XXX)XXX-XXXX. How do I add the 1?

monse120186

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
I had this issue today. It was very simple to fix, what I did was I used an at&t sim to acces the international assist setting, disabled it, restarted the phone (I'm using a gevey sim, my carrier is iusacell) and that was it. Hope it helps.

Eminent01

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
I noted the issue of phone calls, SMS & MMS messages starting to come in with phone numbers only and not resolving to contacts. They began to display +1 in front of the number which was the caller ID, Verizon provide in what seemed to be in a new format. Even thought the contacts already had the number in their profile, they all did not have 1's in front of their number.

I worked with Apple support and my issue seemed to be specific to Verizon. I corrected the issue by call *228 and use option #1 to program your phone again.

The fix was not immediate and after 3-5 minutes my phone numbers in recent calls did indeed resolve to a name versus just displaying the number. I also noted the SMS/MMS messages did not truncate or combine, though new messages did resolve to a name.

Hope this helps you!

Sunday Shadows

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Im having issues with phone calls showing up as +XX XXXX-XXXX

anyone know how to fix this? i've been on the phone with apple and att over 5 hours now.

it only seems to be happening with cricket wireless customers, i've swapped sims, updated/restore/etc, added and deleted contacts, on/off international assist, tried different iphones...you name it i've done it.

it never happened with my 4, just my since i purchased the 4s.

really annoying because anyone that is on my contact list doesn't show up as a contact just a 'international caller'

tlmurray

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I don't know if anyone is still reading this, but I have to ask: Why care? The added number 1 or +01 should work fine, and if you ever travel outside the U.S., the code is already there for you should you call back.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Javabear1

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
vancouver, bc
Hi,

YES!!!
I've figured it out. The new IOS update offers WiFi calling to assist your phone when the signal is low. If this option is selected when you upgraded, Your phone now forces the '1' addition message.
So to turn it off, go to settings, Phone, Wi-Fi calling - turn it OFF
Works immediately.
You can pay me by paypal or send gift certificates.
;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
YES!!!
I've figured it out. The new IOS update offers WiFi calling to assist your phone when the signal is low. If this option is selected when you upgraded, Your phone now forces the '1' addition message.
So to turn it off, go to settings, Phone, Wi-Fi calling - turn it OFF
Works immediately.
You can pay me by paypal or send gift certificates.
;)
None of that would really apply to what was discussed earlier in the thread (from years ago) since WiFi calling wasn't around in iOS until very recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebro20 and ABC5S

Cheers123

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2016
None of that would rally apply to what was discussed earlier in the thread (from years ago) since WiFi calling wasn't around in iOS until very recently.
Go to settings-phone-dial assist (turn it off)
[doublepost=1482825753][/doublepost]
Hi,

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1482825753][/doublepost]
You mean essentially what was already suggested (and tried) in the initial replies to the OP early in the thread over 8 years ago? Yeah...

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Kc1001

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone is still reading this, but I have to ask: Why care? The added number 1 or +01 should work fine, and if you ever travel outside the U.S., the code is already there for you should you call back.
It's a problem because if the number is in your contact list with no +1 it won't recognize the number with a +1.

joansperans

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011

because it adds an additional +1 when texting so texts won't go thru

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
because it adds an additional +1 when texting so texts won't go thru
You are saying there are multiple +1 that are there--basically an additional one is being added when the number already starts with it?

finzland

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
I am using iPhone x.
Incoming texts have the country code (+30) prefix.
If NOT saved in phone book with country code, the phone doesn't recognize the contacts' texts.
If saved WITH country code, the phone does not recognize the contact when calling.

Let's demonstrate the issue using an example number. +30 69 12345678 is a Greek country code and mobile number.

I have my contacts stored in the following format: +30 69 xxxxxxxx but on incoming calls, the number appears as 69 xxxxxxxx and it doesn't match with the contact.

If I change the contacts to exclude the country code in front, then you have an issue with the text messages where the incoming number is identified as +30 69 xxxxxxxx inclusive of the country code - and again it doesn't match with the contact.

djenkins3435

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2018
I am using iPhone x.
Incoming texts have the country code (+30) prefix.
If NOT saved in phone book with country code, the phone doesn't recognize the contacts' texts.
If saved WITH country code, the phone does not recognize the contact when calling.

Let's demonstrate the issue using an example number. +30 69 12345678 is a Greek country code and mobile number.

I have my contacts stored in the following format: +30 69 xxxxxxxx but on incoming calls, the number appears as 69 xxxxxxxx and it doesn't match with the contact.

If I change the contacts to exclude the country code in front, then you have an issue with the text messages where the incoming number is identified as +30 69 xxxxxxxx inclusive of the country code - and again it doesn't match with the contact.
[doublepost=1543595633][/doublepost]Hello: Did you resolve this situation? I have a somewhat similar situation, I am wondering if the cause is the same. When calling my US based Cell phone (Iphone 7, IOS 12.1) from my US based landline (in this case Vbuzzer VOIP), the originating phone call is from area code 321, but what shows up on the Iphone is +32 12 XX XX XX. It even shows a Belgium location, which is of course country code 32. So the originating number is parsed into an international number format, despite being physically in Florida and an actual 321 location. Any thoughts? I have made all of the suggested Iphone changes, and talked with the carrier and Vbuzzer, no one admits to having the problem (of course).

throwawaybowaway

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2022
Sorry to be a thread-necromancer but I was trying to search some kind of conversation about this quirk, and found this thread.

Two years ago I was unknowingly involved in a huge criminal investigation and the first funky thing (besides drones and funny blue vans swarming around me for 2 months) was receiving an SMS notification. Nothing funky about that in particular, but my iphone rebooted right after the notification, and the message wasn't there anymore after reboot.

After rebooting, my iphone seemed to prefix every damn phone number, stored or unstored, with my country code ...even if the stored number was already prefixed with the country code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.