Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal today announced that it will begin charging for mobile access to its news content as of October 24th. While mobile applications such as the WSJ's iPhone application will remain free of charge and will offer free access to selected content, full access will require a weekly subscription fee.
Beginning Oct. 24, the WSJ Mobile Reader application, currently available on BlackBerry smartphones and Apple iPhone and iPod touch devices, will require a separate mobile subscription for full access to Journal subscription content. The application itself will remain free to download and contain both free and subscription content, emulating the experience found on WSJ.com.
Users who currently subscribe to both the print and online versions of The Wall Street Journal will continue to have free access to mobile content, but other users will be required to pay fees in order to access the majority of content. Users with either an existing online or print subscription to The Wall Street Journal will be required to pay $1.00 per week for mobile access, while those with no other subscriptions will be charged $2.00 per week. Users who register prior to the October 24th launch will receive a 90-day extension of no-fee access.
In addition to the new subscription offering, several new features will be added to the WSJ Mobile Reader, including advanced save and share functions, enhanced market data, stock tracking and personalization capabilities.

"Our new mobile subscription model will enable us to continue to invest in the world's most essential news content and deliver it to our subscribers wherever and whenever they want it," said Gordon McLeod, president of The Wall Street Journal Digital Network. "This transition also reinforces the value of our content on mobile, just as we've done online for more than a decade."

Article Link: Wall Street Journal to Begin Charging for Mobile Access to Content

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Ah, the old bait and switch. Not too much bait though, as the WSJ is useless.

JangoFett124

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
A new "share" feature for paying customers? So you'd be paying to be able to send to people that can't? I know there's probably something I'm missing, but it's still funny to me.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
They can kiss my a** every which tell sunday. 4 bucks a month for that trash when the internet has limitless access to the same info FOR FREE!???

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
And Apple doesn't mind?

Curious that Apple isn't getting a cut of this. Normally apps that are free can not require a cost inside the app to access more content. Only paid apps are allowed to have an in-app payment system. Obviously WSJ is not using an in-app payment system, but what they are doing is making more content available to users who pay them directly. That is not allowed in the iPhone SDK.

danredwing

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Portland OR
obsolete

With all of the content available online these days, it is awfully presumptuous to charge for online access to what everyone else offers for free. I too, will be deleting the app as the content is redundant. As someone that is employed in financial services, I find that even economic news can be found just as easily and earlier elsewhere.

good luck with this WSJ, I'm certainly not buying.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Curious that Apple isn't getting a cut of this. Normally apps that are free can not require a cost inside the app to access more content. Only paid apps are allowed to have an in-app payment system. Obviously WSJ is not using an in-app payment system, but what they are doing is making more content available to users who pay them directly. That is not allowed in the iPhone SDK.
I was curious about this also.

Shookster

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I guess WSJ will find out just how much people think their online content is worth. My prediction: not nearly as much as they thought.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Well, so I guess now not the time to start reading the WSJ?

Most news sites are so littered with adverts that I could only see this move by WSJ as greed.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
I subscribe online to WSJ.com only. I noticed my subscription is increasing to almost $200 next year.

You can kiss my ass Murdoch.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Well since you are only seeing limited content with the free app...I can see why it does not get used.

I find the WSJ hard to read as a newspaper let alone as an Iphone app...though I do like the financial content.

I am sure I can find the information for free so I likely will not signup for the full access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.