Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Register reports that some high-profile iPhone app developers can simply call a dedicated contact at Apple to get assistance with App Store issues.

Mike Simon, CEO of LogMeIn, describes that a representative at Apple had recently called the company and offered to be a single point of contact for any App Store-related issues. Simon stated, "We now have a number we can call to ask questions."

LogMeIn is the developer of an app that offers one-click remote control of a Mac or PC from an iPhone. Available in the App Store for $29.99 [App Store], it has been featured in Apple's print and television ads promoting the App Store.

Simon also mentioned that he is aware of one other developer with similar access to App Store support, but declined to name this developer.

This type of direct and personalized access to App Store developer support is a distinct departure from the experiences of other developers who have made public their trials and tribulations in getting information from Apple on the app approval process. Tapbots is one developer who recently encountered problems with their Convertbot app [App Store], experiencing a rejected update over an icon that was too similar to one used by Apple in its own apps. Blunder Move is another developer who experienced similar issues over "shiny chat bubbles" within their Chess Wars app, and the large amount of press coverage the developer's blog post about this problem received may have been a factor in Apple's move to make direct contact with the developer to resolve the issue.

Apple's response to the FCC after its inquiry into the purported rejection of the Google Voice app specified that there are "40 full-time trained reviewers" and that "at least two different reviewers study each application so that the review process is applied uniformly." It is not known if the dedicated contact reportedly available to LogMeIn is part of this staff.

Article Link: App Store Hotline Available to Certain Developers?

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Well, it makes sense to me. I mean think about it, some developers are making hundreds of thousands of dollars a month while others aren't. They make more money for Apple, so they get better support. :)

patrickvanzandt

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
U.S.A.

I agree. Arn, what is newsworthy about this?

I work in support at a major IT company and this type of scenario comes up from time to time. Management will recognize a revenue opportunity (or simply a client or business partner who is getting "hot") and ask someone to reach out to a client with direct contact information and agree to be a "single point of contact" for any issues for a certain duration of time (or indefinitely). This works out to the benefit of my company and also to the client/business partner.

I'm sure many other companies do the same, and am not in the last bit surprised that Apple has done the same.

Keep in mind that nothing about this indicates any "official" policy, etc. All this means is that an Apple employee reached out to LogMeIn and said "hey, if you guys need something, let me know. My e-mail is John.Doe@apple.com and my contact number is 313-555-1234."

ODog4523

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
I guess I can see what the objection would be, considering how Apple sold the idea of the App Store when it first opened...the smallest and the largest developers have the exact same opportunities to have success and to reach every Iphone/Ipod touch user.

If Electronic Arts has a direct line to Scott Forstal's office or something, that's a pretty distinct edge over the guy who might have the most incredible game brewing in his basement but can't finish it because he's waiting a week for an e-mail reply from someone at Apple.

Of course EA would already have an edge because of their resources, so maybe the prior point is of little consequence.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Why am I paying $99/year if the big companies get more favorable attention than the small guys? If that's what they're going to do, don't charge me money every year for access to the store and let the profit come from sales.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Why am I paying $99/year if the big companies get more favorable attention than the small guys
Maybe 'cuz they're not. The Register is making a false correlation here. Apple calls LogMeIn. LogMeIn is a (seemingly) high-profile developer. Therefore, Apple is only contacting high-profile developers. For one, that's poor logic. And for two, I know personally that just isn't the case, unless Another Roadside Attraction LLC and even myself as an individual developer (maker of [app]a.k.a.[/app]) are also high-profile developers, since we've also been contacted by Apple directly and given a point of contact regarding the App Store review process. I'm pretty sure we're not high-profile, though.

If that's what they're going to do, don't charge me money every year for access to the store and let the profit come from sales.
I suspect part of the reason for the $99 fee is to keep the riff-raff out. If you're at least somewhat serious about iPhone development, then you'll be willing to pay the fee in order to get the benefits that provides.

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
Why am I paying $99/year if the big companies get more favorable attention than the small guys? If that's what they're going to do, don't charge me money every year for access to the store and let the profit come from sales.

a) That $99 allows you to publish to the store and to the device; it never guaranteed any special kind of tech support.

b) You're not paying $99/year. It's $99 flat. Read your agreement again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.