Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renshao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
I just received my new MacBook Pro. It's the 2.66 with Anti-Glare screen.
When I started the mac first time, I noticed my battery condition is 'Replace Now'.

Has anyone experienced the same thing before?

I then used the new mac without power cord for about 4 hours(browsing and updating iTunes, no heavy use) before the battery became really low.

omarjk

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
London, UK
I got a new 2.66 today as well and it's battery condition is not 'Replace Now' although that could be a software glitch rather than a problem with your battery. This I stress because from what I have read, four hours can be all we are going to get when brightness is near full and a few basic apps are running simultaneously.

I would call AppleCare in any case, if you haven't already. At least the matte screen means you won't have been staring at a perfect reflection of your worried face all day long.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
It's probably just confused. Try using it on battery power untill it shuts down, then let it rest overnight and charge it to 100 % before turning it on.

It's probably overkill, but that should completely reset it. If you still have the issue after that, call Apple.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
yeah how many lights do appear on the side? it may or may notbe conclusive.

however, try running the battery down until the system goesinto standy by/shut down.

you can try a SMC reset as well.
built in battery models;
# Connect the power adapter to a working power source.
# On the built-in keyboard, press (left) Shift-Control-Option along with the power button once.
# Wait 5 seconds and press the power button to start the computer.

renshao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks guys.

When I first got it, I checked the side lights, they were all on.
I've tried resetting System Management Controller, didn't work for me.

I'm still in the middle of my first charge, I'll wait until it's 100% and then leave it on until it's powered off. See how it goes:confused:

renshao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
It's so annoying that Apple Support is not working on Sunday, in Australia (maybe it's same across the world), I have to call them on Monday.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
It's so annoying that Apple Support is not working on Sunday, in Australia (maybe it's same across the world), I have to call them on Monday.

They are in the US, and its a Jewish holiday today. I don't know if they would close for that, but they are normally open 7 days a week here.

renshao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
The battery completely died

This is bad.
When I was charging, the battery died completely. It was showing 'Not Charging', and I couldn't get more than 4 side lights on. I then tried to pull off power cord and plug it in again. Guess what, The moment I pulled the cord off this new mac just powered off, the battery is not providing any power.

Then I press the 'start up' button, nothing happened. I put the power code back and started the mac, my time has been reset back to 1969. Now if I shutdown my mac, I'll have to reset the time next time I start it up.

I'll definitely have to send it back. This is definitely not a pleasure experience for my first mac.:(

Generally, would Apple simply replace the faulty parts of you or do they give you a new mac?

renshao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
I brought it back to apple store, they've ordered a new one for me. Another 2 weeks wait.:rolleyes:

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I brought it back to apple store, they've ordered a new one for me. Another 2 weeks wait.:rolleyes:

WHAT?!? Were you outside of the two week return window?!? :eek: I would have demanded a new one then and there. Buying a brand new piece of equipment with a defective, necessary, non-user serviceable part and having to wait two weeks when replacements are in the frakkin' store is unacceptable.

renshao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
WHAT?!? Were you outside of the two week return window?!? :eek: I would have demanded a new one then and there. Buying a brand new piece of equipment with a defective, necessary, non-user serviceable part and having to wait two weeks when replacements are in the frakkin' store is unacceptable.

Mine is the anti-glare version, so they don't keep them in stock. I received my new one last Friday!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.