Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppCaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Our :apple: Apple Store here in Columbus, OH was remodeled this week. Went in to see what changed this week and found all the software isles are gone. Instead they have these huge tables with 6 macs each on them.

The center table is forced up against a huge pillar supporting the store. An Apple genius felt the plan-o-gram was likely issued by Jobs himself, so he went ahead and setup a laptop facing the pillar.

It's hooked up, turned on, complete with price guide and ipod... all facing a giant pillar. Brilliant.

apple_store_planogram_fail_01.jpg
apple_store_planogram_fail_02.jpg
apple_store_planogram_fail_03.jpg
apple_store_planogram_fail_04.jpg

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this.

Boom

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
LMAO! - You would of thought the store manager would have grown some balls and at least let his superiors know of this f**k up, lol

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Wow I have seen some rather idiotic merchandising, but that is just ridiculous. I mean, not ONE person said, "hmm, I think it may be a good idea to move all tables 2 feet back".

When I was a merchandising director that person would have lost their job.

I like in the first picture how the store employee is explaining that the model he is showing that guy is better then the model in the foreground, because the Macbook in the foreground comes with a really annoying pillar in front of it.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
That is ridiculous. Can't they just turn it 90° left?! :confused:

LMAO! - You would of thought the store manager would have grown some balls and at least let his superiors know of this f**k up, lol

What a bunch of robots. I think even Stevie would be happy for someone to have had the balls to take some initiative and turned that computer 90º and moved the other one down closer to the pillar and set up something else in the extra space.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
its on a table. tables, believe it or not, are actually capable of being moved to various locations, by any no. of people. perhaps cleaning staff moved it to polish the floor under it and didnt move it back, and no one checked before oppening.

hatehereyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2008
Moreno Valley, Ca
its on a table. tables, believe it or not, are actually capable of being moved to various locations, by any no. of people. perhaps cleaning staff moved it to polish the floor under it and didnt move it back, and no one checked before oppening.

Actually if you look at all the other tables, it looks they're all aligned together.

So I doubt they were moved and forgot to be moved back.

AppCaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Oh yes please! AppCaddy would you do it (becasue they are your pictures)?

I did before I posted here, but don't know if this is actually epic enough for Teh Fail Blog. :)

Boom
AppCaddy

It was a packed store in the middle of the day. Nothing temporary about it. It was simply aligned with the rest of the tables and the room. Their store is just so perfectly designed. That column must be driving them nuts.

Wait a tick... What if that was Gates hiding in a column suit, trying to check out the MBP?

Gonna have to go back and check. Or... Just save some gas and Photo-mah-shop it. ;-)

Boom
AppCaddy

marcre

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
Apple employees know not to mess with the plano. If you've ever worked at an Apple Store, you know this. Do what it says, no matter what. I guarantee they let someone know about the issue, but they'll wait for instruction on what to do about it.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
I would have moved it myself if I'd wanted to have a look. I realize the OP wasn't interested.

The last time I was at an Apple Store I moved a 15" MacBook Pro over so that I had room to put my PowerBook (last model made) down next to it to directly compare them.

Lightning didn't strike.

cytoxyn

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Corning, NY
As much as I want to blame the store on this, I can't. This is the fault of the store layout planner who either forget or did not know that there was a pillar there. Still that being said it is friggin' hilarious

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
That is the new look for the stores. This is why having standard plans don't work unless you build the buildings. This design just makes it easier to steal all the laptops in 30 seconds.

klmckenzie03

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
That's a shame they remodeled this store. I liked the Columbus, OH store because it was a little different than the two I have closer to me and I thought the "Software Aisles" they had down the middle were pretty neat. Oh well, nothing stays the same for too long I guess. Basically all they are focusing on in stores these days is laptops, sans the Air. I went to my local apple store last night and they only had a single Air on display. Everything was MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.