Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I have a 15" unibody Macbook pro
The last time I used my cd drive was a couple months ago to burn a cd.
The cd didn't come out so I followed the steps to eject it and it came out properly. Since then I haven't used the drive until recently. When I went to enter a cd to burn some songs onto it, the drive wouldn't accept any discs. As if there was something in there but there is nothing.
Can someone be so kind to please help with some steps to get my cd/dvd drive to accept discs again please??

Very much appreciated on your guy's help.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I have the same issue with my late '06 MBP. My suggestion is to have Apple look at it if it's still under warranty.
To fix some of the problems, you could try:

a cd/dvd cleaning kit, a can of compressed air (do short bursts of air inside the drive).

This is what I've done in the past and has worked, but I'm afraid my drive may be failing. Have yours looked at before it's totally failed and out of warranty.

Also - is your problem with just cd's? cd-r's? rw-s'? dvd's? Try different types/brands of media.

Good luck.

M-Ego

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
Solution: If Macbook does not accept disk

1. Go into Spotlight from the top of your MacBook on the menue bar.
2. And search for "CDs & DVDs" (It's also in the System Preferences)
Click on it and a small CDs & DVDs window will pop up with options of what happens when you insert a disk into the drive
3. By then, try inserting a disk in (while that window is open. This kinda wakes up your drive to accept the disk). It should accept it.
4. If nothing happens, then manually open the program that should be opening when you insert the disk or go to Finder (Eg. if it's an audio disk, then open iTunes)
5. If opening the program still does not activate the drive to start spinning the disk, then close the programs and windows you opened, and repeat step 1-4 and the disk should be spinning and automatically opening the proper program.

Hope that helps!

Jordanschultz01

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2016

Click on it and a small CDs & DVDs window will pop up with options of what happens when you insert a disk into the drive
3. By then, try inserting a disk in (while that window is open. This kinda wakes up your drive to accept the disk). It should accept it.
4. If nothing happens, then manually open the program that should be opening when you insert the disk or go to Finder (Eg. if it's an audio disk, then open iTunes)
5. If opening the program still does not activate the drive to start spinning the disk, then close the programs and windows you opened, and repeat step 1-4 and the disk should be spinning and automatically opening the proper program.

Hope that helps!
I just tried swapping out 3 different superdrive into my macbook, and was ready to give up when I found this thread, and this worked instantly. Thanks so much

monica kay

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2017

Hope that helps!

THANK YOU! it totally worked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.