Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
I know that the heat being given off of the casing of a laptop or desktop is just the result of it's own internal cooling system expelling the extra heat, however, is it bad to blow a current of air across the length of the device to help channel the hot air away from it? I've read you shouldn't directly blow air at a computers fan (for obvious reasons), so I figured this approach might work...at least a little. Anyway, I'd like some insight on this. I know about various custom ways to really cool your computer down, like installing liquid cooling systems and such...but thats not practical for an iMac.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 596

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
There's no song and dance you have to do to keep a machine alive. Just use common sense. Are you blowing hot air directly back into the machine? No. You're fine.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I know that the heat being given off of the casing of a laptop or desktop is just the result of it's own internal cooling system expelling the extra heat, however, is it bad to blow a current of air across the length of the device to help channel the hot air away from it? I've read you shouldn't directly blow air at a computers fan (for obvious reasons), so I figured this approach might work...at least a little. Anyway, I'd like some insight on this. I know about various custom ways to really cool your computer down, like installing liquid cooling systems and such...but thats not practical for an iMac.

I'm sure it's fine, if it makes you feel better. It's just that I don't see the point of it. iMacs are designed to cool themselves as needed.

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
I'm sure it's fine, if it makes you feel better. It's just that I don't see the point of it. iMacs are designed to cool themselves as needed.

Yea, your right because my efforts aren't changing the temperatures at all, according to iStat...just thought it might've helped.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Use SMC fan control to adjust the fan speed of the fans inside your iMac.

I use my iMac pretty much all day and only ever put it to sleep at night, so if the PSU gets above 60 degrees celsius I put on a custom setting on SMC I labelled "Cool Down" which has the following settings:

Optical Disk Drive: 1500rpm (up from 1000rpm)
Hard Disk Drive: 2000rpm (up from 1200rpm)
CPUL 2000rpm (up from 1200rpm)

Within minutes, and checking the iStat Pro widget, the temperature begins to slowly but gradually decline. I know the iMac itself can detect when temperatures reach limits it deems damaging, but I prefer to take action myself before the system has to actually worry and thinks it's in "danger".

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

All machines are, but to varying degrees of effectiveness. Since the iMac is a relatively small enclosure, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not as effective as tower desktops at dissipating heat.

Funnily, I used the same trick as the OP just this very morning. I closed my MBP and put it in my case, but it didn't sleep. When I opened the case at the office, there was a burning smell and the bottom of the LCD was discoloured from the heat. I quickly put a fan blowing across the keyboard to improve convection. Don't know how much it helped, but at least it's still working!

Slrman

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2009
João Pessoa, Brazil
How hot is too hot?

I have iStat and it currently says that CPU A and the airport card are 145ºF and the power supply is 180ºF. The ambient temp is given as 88ºF. Should I have a room fan to improve circulation or what?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I once used a small dust fan to blow away from the computer, to get the hot air out. I can't say it had any effect on anything, but it made me feel better about wasting electricity.

Rubel

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
SMC Fan Control. It’s good.

Does this work on iMacs? I have a Core2 Duo iMac, but I figured it wouldn't work from the description of 2.2.2.

My iMac overheats when I play games. I get weird graphical glitches and sometimes freezes. So I'm happy with any solution which keeps my iStats down.

Rubel

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
The iMac should cool itself fine... If it is overheating though you should clean the dust out of it and see how it goes. The Machine is designed to cool itself:D

I did clean a little dust bunny off of the intake fan area, and it does seem to be running cooler. Still gets a bit hot, though. I tried blowing dusk out with some canned air and also vacuuming the vents, but nothing much came of that.

Guess I'll just bring it regular iced teas...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.