Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobm67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
hi folks,

I have a 3g Iphone with firmware 3.0 jailbroken. Vista PC

I updated my itunes from 8.1.1 to 9. Update was successful, but now Itunes cannot read content of my iPhone.

Not sure what to do to be able to sync my phone again. I know I could reset the phone, but I would rather not unless I have to.

Anyone have any tips, or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Bob

SWISSHAT

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
hi folks,

I have a 3g Iphone with firmware 3.0 jailbroken. Vista PC

I updated my itunes from 8.1.1 to 9. Update was successful, but now Itunes cannot read content of my iPhone.

Not sure what to do to be able to sync my phone again. I know I could reset the phone, but I would rather not unless I have to.

Anyone have any tips, or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Bob

Was it that badly scratched?
:D

bobm67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks,

I tried that, but it still won't read the iPhone content

Anything else I can try?

bobm67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Computer definitely sees the iPhone. Won't plugging it into another PC with itunes wipe out my iphone content?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Computer definitely sees the iPhone. Won't plugging it into another PC with itunes wipe out my iphone content?

I wasn't saying to go into iTunes on another computer. I just wanted to make sure the USB sees the iPhone. However, no, if you have iTunes set up on another computer to not auto sync, then you can look at the contents of the iPhone (just don't click sync).

Anyway, you don't need to do that, since the USB works from what you say.

Try following this advice for Windows:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1495

Or here for a Mac:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1591

bobm67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
thanks again aggie...

Those are the instructions I tried earlier. Still the same issue.

Itunes sees the Iphone when I plug it in, it even starts when I plug in the iphone. The problem is that i get a message saying "Itunes cannot read the content of the iphone"

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
thanks again aggie...

Those are the instructions I tried earlier. Still the same issue.

Itunes sees the Iphone when I plug it in, it even starts when I plug in the iphone. The problem is that i get a message saying "Itunes cannot read the content of the iphone"

Jeez, I see what the problem is now. You have iTunes 9, but OS 3.0. IDK what the experience is with people using iTunes 9 w/ OS 3.0. You might want to delete iTunes and go back to iTunes 8.1.2.

bobm67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I already tried that. Went back to 8.1.1 with the itl file from my 8.1.1, and got an error that I needed itunes 8.2 when I connected to the iphone (couldnt read content, update to 8.2) I Updated 8.2 and got the same message as now with 9

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Do you have another computer you can try? If so, see if it will recognize your phone in iTunes. Make sure auto sync is off.

At least you can find out if something will recognize it, and then determinine what you want to do from there. I'm thinking you're eventually going to have to do a DFU restore, but then you'll lose your jailbreak. But maybe can somehow restore from a backup. IDK, since I'm not a jailbreaker.

B

BigA-Rob

I have the exact same problem

I am getting the same thing. I can't remember if this is the first time syncing my phone since upgrading to itunes 9. I also have a 3G on FW 3.0 that is jailbroken, but I have a 2G on FW 3.0.1 jailbroken and is has no problems on itunes 9. Both phones are setup in tunes on the same computer and the computer recognizes my phone and the driver is up to date and started, etc. I tried reinstalling itunes but not completely removing it and reinstalling but it looks like that won't help. I am running Vista, but I also have a computer running Windows XP so I am going to see if that computer recognizes my phone tonight. If someone has any idea of what to do besides DFU restore and rejailbreaking (I have Cydia packages not yet backup up in itunes) PLEASE let me know. If not I guess this is a good time to upgrade to a newer FW, but I am worried I will not be able to restore from my backup in itunes and loose all my contacts, etc.

B

BigA-Rob

Update to my post. Restarting the computer and iPhone several times solved the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.