Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wifi_cowboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Dark Side of the Moon
I have been trying to decide for 2 weeks now which model to purchase, iMac or PowerBook. Now here's my dilemma...
I am in a job situation where my employer is willing to buy me a computer. I am torn between...
---------------------
PowerBook G4 15in (TiBook)/1GHz/512/60/Superdrive/Airport
(includes no software)--$1499
---------------------
iMac G4 15in /1GHz/512/80/Combo (Incld. mouse/keyboard/speakers/iLife '04)
--$1374
----------------------
Now I would snap the PowerBook up but I already have an iBookG4 800MHz and don't want to end up prefering one laptop over the other. I could use a new desktop, but I like the SuperDrive in the PowerBook. Also the PowerBook has double the VRAM. HELP!!! I CAN'T DECIDE AND I AM GOING CRAZEEE :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

wifi_cowboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Dark Side of the Moon
I'm a high school senior who enjoys taking taking a laptop on vactions and to the coffee shop every once in a while (and long walks on the beach, haha :D ). My job is a computer apprentice / repairman.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
If your employer is willing to buy you a computer, then why not a G5? you have a laptop so why get redundant.

wifi_cowboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Dark Side of the Moon
I'm kinda teetering towards the 1GHz TiBook, but then again I have done that for the last two weeks :rolleyes: . Mobility is a sharp edge to fight though, so the score currently is...

=-Score-=
TiBook : 1
iMacG4 : 0

grneyedjay

macrumors member
May 19, 2004
Cowboy--

I'm confused on the accuracy of the prices you mentioned, but typically I'd say go with the iMac all the way. More bang for your buck. Also, couldn't you step up to a Superdrive for it? You do already have an iBook. And yes, you will stop using it if you get the Powerbook. One additional--perhaps hidden--advantage of getting an iMac is that its hard drive (Ultra ATA-100 @ 7200rpm) will be faster than that of the Powerbook (Ultra ATA-100 @ 4200rpm).

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I'd vote for portability over desk based systems...

Whilst only a PC user - I have always had laptops...
Last computer purchase I bought a PC - and am regretting it ever since...
find my self having to go back to now a four year old laptop - with all the Microsoft / Windows hiccups... sigh

so much so I'm contemplating switching the the Powerbook myself!
I just can't decide between the 15" and the 17"!?!?!

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
powerbook powerbook
82e8f737.gif

wifi_cowboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Dark Side of the Moon
2 for iMac, 2 for PowerBook. If it makes any difference, I should mention that the PowerBook is a discontinued PowerBook from September that had the 1MB L3 Cache.

=-Score-=
TiBook: 3
iMacG4: 2

Go for the PB its much faster thanks to a better VID card, also you have a super drive which is much better then the combo drive. Also the TiBook has a PC card slot so you can additional USB/Firewire ports if you need em, portability is KING! PS the PB is a better gaming machine in this case.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
The iMac is WAAAAYYY overdue for an update. It will probably get a heck of a lot faster at WWDC (June 28), and may even sport a G5, depending on who you believe. At any rate, the iMac is currently put to shame by every other item in Apple's lineup.

But, then again, it sure is sexy. If you must have it, wait until June 28. Then you'll have your choice of the faster, comparably-priced model, or the current model at a much-reduced cost.

If June 28 is way too long to hold out, get the Powerbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.