Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
i own a powerbookTi 15 in, 1 Ghz, 512 RAM. i get this problem where the screen gets messed up, and these horizontal lines start appearing everywhere, making it impossible to use. if i can i'll try to take a screen shot. i don't know what causes it. this has happened two times in the past, and what i did was install panther all over again, plus download all the updates again and do those too. it seems to fix it, but it's back now. the whole process is a pain and took up half my day, and i was wondering if anyone knows what the issue is. should i call apple and send it to them to fix it? does anyone know what's going on?

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
well here's a pic. it gets worse once it's started.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 130

Declan

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2003
That to me looks like corrupt video ram to me. Send them a copy of that pic, apple that is..

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Odd. . . looks a lot like a Ibook logic board failure . . .

Thats looks a lot like what happened to my Ibook G3-900. (Logic board failure) but you really shouldn't be getting that on a powerbook.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
before this problem starting occuring, i also had an issue with sound. it would make this horrific popping sound and the system would freeze. i sent it to apple to get it fixed, and i haven't had similar problems since. however this was before the iBook logic problems were starting to occur. is it possible that they used faulty parts to fix my system before they knew the parts were faulty? i'll probably call apple sometime next week. i do haveapple care. they were good about fixing the last problem, though it seems to be whenever there's a mac problem, it's pretty serious. i guess it's because how closely intertwined the hardware and software is. i don't know. it's kind of discouraging, but hopefully these problems occur less and less for people as time goes on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.