Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
London
Hey all,

I have searched around for this - but couldn't find a thread that was similar, if there is one, I apologise in advance.

OK - this seems pretty basic, but I can't seem to find a way to turn off the password prompt in Mac OSX.

I have an account for my parents, and they don't need a password, but if they try and install software etc - it comes up with the Password Prompt window. Obviously, you don't enter anything into the password field and just continue on, but seeing how there is no password in the first place, why does it still ask for one?

I've been a Mac user for a few years, but have never came across this - I always use a password :rolleyes:

Anyway... thanks in advance...

Dylan.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It's a visual indication that the program you're installing is about to make a big change to something on your system. Even if you have no password set for logon, you should be aware when something like that happens.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
If your parents don't have a password on their account, they shouldn't have an administrator account. It leaves your computer wide open to hacking.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
There's no way to "turn" it off.
Even if the password is blank, the user will be prompted for their password.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
It’s basically asking for administrator approval because it’s doing something important. Even if it didn’t ask for the password, it would still pop up a box asking for approval.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Just to add, Windows XP doesn't ask for a password at all in similar situations, and this is a substantial part of the reason that it's so horribly prone to virus and malware infection. It's really an awful idea to run with no password, but even if you do the prompt is at least an indicator that something major is about to happen, with the chance to prevent it if you didn't want it to.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It’s basically asking for administrator approval because it’s doing something important. Even if it didn’t ask for the password, it would still pop up a box asking for approval.

Not really.. it's asking for authentication so it's authorized to install (something) someplace where the permissions or task require higher authorization. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's important.

A small distinction, but an important one.

The only way around a password prompt is if you're UID 0. And I really wouldn't suggest setting up one's parents (who cannot be bothered to 1) enter a password and/or 2) hit return for an empty password) as root. ;)

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
Get them a password. This feature is one of the reasons why OS X is more secure than Windows. If they can't handle a password, make them a non-admin account and administer the computer yourself, with your own admin account.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hey all,

I have searched around for this - but couldn't find a thread that was similar, if there is one, I apologise in advance.

OK - this seems pretty basic, but I can't seem to find a way to turn off the password prompt in Mac OSX.

I have an account for my parents, and they don't need a password, but if they try and install software etc - it comes up with the Password Prompt window. Obviously, you don't enter anything into the password field and just continue on, but seeing how there is no password in the first place, why does it still ask for one?

I've been a Mac user for a few years, but have never came across this - I always use a password :rolleyes:

Anyway... thanks in advance...

Dylan.

It's part of the UNIX core OS X has. It pops out when something really important (like changing system files) is being changed. In UNIX is asks for "sudo" authorization (where "sudo" stands for Superuser Do or quite simply the System Administrator). It's effective because of the UNIX way of adding applications and installing stuff. (Drag and drop v doing an installation process)

This is the successful implementation of what Microsoft tried and still try to do with their UAC (from hell) and Action Center.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Can't be done, unless you enable and log in as the root account.
Which, as yellow said, is a really, really bad idea.

To use a colorful analogy (my real reason for adding), in this context it's a little like giving somebody who's never used a power tool a chainsaw and a blindfold, then telling them to use the pair in place of scissors.

That, or slapping a massive supercharger on their minivan and then taking out the seatbelts and disabling the airbags.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.