Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French site Mac4Ever reported [Google translation] earlier this week that it had received a number of tips from sources regarding Apple's upcoming product plans. Among the most near-term topics of interest is the iMac, which has been rumored by several sources to be seeing a refresh in the very near future.

While details of the update have been scarce, Mac4Ever's sources point to the inclusion of an SD card reader, as found in the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro, and the use of quad-core processors, which conflicts with a subsequent report claiming that the new iMac will continue to use dual-core processors. Interestingly, one of the sources also spoke of the inclusion of Xeon processors, which would presumably only be used in high-end configurations if the information proves accurate.

Mac4Ever's sources have also reported a number of other tidbits about Apple's product pipeline for the next few months, including a new 100% touch-enabled mouse capable of advanced mouse functions, as well as a new aluminum Apple Remote. Other claims include a continued shift of Apple's software to 64-bit and optimization for Snow Leopard, as well as the much-rumored tablet, which sources vaguely claim will be very different from concepts that have appeared on rumor sites thus far.

Article Link: Next-Generation iMac With SD Slot, Quad-Core, Possible Xeon? New Mouse and Remote in Pipeline?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Can't we get this all in one thread? :confused:

Lots of news overlap with the Macbook and iMac updates. What's the benefit of Xeon in an iMac?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
interesting.... time will tell if these rumors are true; i'm still waiting for my powerbook g5 :rolleyes:

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
At first I thought a new mouse would be a good thing, but then I remembered what Apple did to my track pad.

I just don't see how they could make the iMac thinner, AND throw in a XEON.

Neotyguy40

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
I hope the new mice let's you press both buttons at the same time. I hate needing to use my old ball-motion mouse for my gaming...

thecartoonguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Where's the bluetooth what? Don't they already come with Bluetooth? Or are you all thinking of Blu-ray?

Quad core would be interesting indeed. But Xeon? Sounds unlikely. The "touch enabled mouse" could be real and SD card slot seems likely enough.

You're right I was thinking Blu-Ray. Getting my thoughts scrambled.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
At first I though a new mouse would be a good thing, but then I remembered what Apple did to my track pad.

I just don't see how they could make the iMac thinner, AND throw in a XEON.
Xeon in the iMac doesn't make any sense at all. There are low power versions of Lynnfield under the L34xx line but that's absurd over Clarksfield. ECC RAM in the iMac is the new gimmick?

smithlua

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2008
USA
I don't see any way or reason why a Xeon would be in an iMac. Especially if they want to lower the prices. Just another rumor.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This is the best news in a while. Hopefully it's true, but the Slimmer, Dual-Core iMac sounds more like Apple.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
The intel Xeon in higher end rumor is just stupid thinking, thats not gonna happen.

I would say quad core for sure, there is no way Apple can hold off that any longer in the iMac.
4GB of ram standard across the line,
1 TB hard drive standard in the upper 2 models (If they keep 4)
Better graphics cards for sure. Probably still Nvidia integrated in the lower end models and the upper 2 Nvidia GT200 series cards.

I would like them to stick a 4870 inside the iMac but thats just me.

I'm starting to highly doubt that all of these rumors of the new iMac in October are true. Xeon in an iMac? Clarksfield maybe... but not Xeon. Besides, if the iMac were to get updated, they would do it in March/April like they usually do. Updated MBP's and MB's are possible, but i highly doubt the iMac is going to get updated now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.