Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdrenalineX

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008

verd0026

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
Franklin Covey not Mac friendly

Franklin Covey has a great planning system, however, they have never released a version for the mac and now if you want to use their software on OSX, you have to pay them $15 a month. $180 annually. That is way too much cash since you could buy the software outright for about $100 but your stuck running it on windows, or worse yet Outlook. BOO!

I know the internet is supposed to be everywhere but it's not. So what do you do when you don't have a connection?

They could do better but they are still focused on the PC. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

tonyt12345

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
Good news ahead for Mac users?

Thanks very much for the heads-up on the potential news on Franklin software for the Mac! I for one look forward to becoming a customer. Can you give any hints on when (roughly) any new developments might be announced, and whether they will work on non-Intel Macs? How will customers be updated so they can go to Franklin-Covey's web site and order a copy?

Any information you could provide would be most appreciated!

GrizGuy

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
'bout time

There's not much I can say other than there are several things "in the works" with Franklincovey and PlanPlusOnline.com. ;)

Remember to use this link if you'd like a FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

About damned time, I'd say. They've ignored mac owners for years, despite repeated pleas to support the macOS. Now they have a teaser on their Web site about "FCMobile" coming to the iPhone, but they just say, "soon."

What's really galling about the company (since Stephen Covey took over anyway), is that they actually show the iPhone in their catalogues promoting their handheld software! Total BS because it's not usable on the iPhone! They're just latching onto a hot item that people want to improve the perception of their product. It makes me so irate because I'm a dedicated FRANKLIN PLANNER user, but since Covey took over, their focus changed. Their goals are now to sell me purses, pens, PDAs, non-mac software and other crapola that have nothing to to with helping me achieve my goals. Incredibly frustrating.

They know they've lost their way, too. In other forums, I've touched base with literally dozens of other Franklin planner devotees who are mad at Franklin Covey for changing focus.

tecnocato

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
Hi McGiord,

I am the Director of Technology for http://www.completexrm.com which is the developer of http://www.planplusonline.com for FranklinCovey.

I'd like to offer you a free trial to PlanPlusOnline by clicking this link:
http://www.planplusonline02.com/newppolreg1.jsp?xrm30=Y&src=PPOL&src2=xScott_MacRumors.

Please let me know your thoughts as we've had some pretty incredible success with pda users, especially iPhone users!

The F-C planner is exactly what is needed in he iPhone and Macs. Please sell us just the apps as the online model does not make a lot od sense if you have offline apps than sync through MobileMe (aka .Mac) and push the information.

The F-C Planner is the single most-missed application since I switched to OS X five years ago. There is no app in OS X that comes even close to it. As the Macs keep gaining market share, F-C is still loosing by not figuring out how to serve us Mac users.

D "Mac" daddy

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Yep , I used the FC planning software system from the start.

IM SAYING THIS AND I HOPE FRANKLIN SEE THIS POST>>

YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON A LOT OF >>> $MONEY$<<<

1) mac computer users are the upper end, and have money..
2) porting over PC software to a mac, does cost some money, include it into the cost (!!)

I will pay $3K for a computer, do you thing i would blink to pay for a software package that is $200 or $300 ?? to sync with my iphone and ical ...!!

Come on guys/gals open your eyes,
COD4 hi end game over to a mac, in 6 mo .. HELLO .

Check out omni focus,.. the ipone version is real nice you can add photos and voice recording. to me there passing up FC

FC , need to look around, this is a tough time, bad business go to the side fast..

:apple:

alrmt

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
PlanPlus for Mac

I just communicated with FranklinCovey on this very subject and their customer service rep strongly suggested I submit my ideas on their product suggestions page under Customer Service on their website. They improve and change their products based on what their customers ask for.

I have also been a Franklin Planner user for decades and once I switched over to digital instead of paper for organizing my life, I used PlanPlus for Windows (and also tried the version for Outlook). I loved PlanPlus for Windows while I was still a windows user, but now that I've switched back to Mac, I'm very disappointed in our very limited options. I mentioned on their product suggestions page that you can sync PlanPlus Online with Outlook, but there's no option to sync with Mac applications. I also don't want to have to go into yet another application, when I love Address Book and iCal on Mac. I'm asking for a program that will integrate into those applications as well as syncing with various smartphones.

FCMobile is fine for those looking to communicate with a business team, but not what I'm looking for in a personal planning program.

http://www.franklincovey.com/fc/customer_service/technical_product_support/product_suggestions

This link was sent to me by customer service at FranklinCovey and goes to their product development team. I encourage you to submit your ideas to them and hopefully we'll see more options for Mac users in the near future.

dforeman

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
Plan Plus Online - Mac Frustration

Has anyone seen any progress with software and the Mac. I have used Plan Plus Online for over a year, and I love it.....HOWEVER, the lack of a sync or a desktop application for Mac is KILLING ME. I am in outside sales and not have my contacts and appointments readily available is making it not worth it. Does anyone know if there is a work around through Entorage or Parallels? I did have some contacts at Complete XRM that were telling me a solution was on the way, but they have stopped taking my call. I guess they got tired of saying...next month.:confused:

Thanks,

Doug

horqua

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
FCTasks - iPhone

I'm beginning to use FCTasks for the iPhone and I'd like to echo the sentiments expressed below. I'd like a piece of software that runs on my MacBook that works hand in hand with the software on my iPhone. I used to carry a paper Franklin Dayplanner but got out of the habit when the Palm came alone. I switched to an iPhone a year ago and it has become an indispensable tool, like "The Book". I believe I need a Mac program that will allow me to use the iPhone like I used my Dayplanner.

My gripe is the cost for such a program. I don't mind if they make a profit. I would just ask that they don't make their entire year's profit off my sale. $180/year is way too high. I can handle a one time payment but I won't pay rent on software. There's gotta be a better way.

Just another brick in the wall. :apple: :D

McGiord

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I'm beginning to use FCTasks for the iPhone and I'd like to echo the sentiments expressed below. I'd like a piece of software that runs on my MacBook that works hand in hand with the software on my iPhone. I used to carry a paper Franklin Dayplanner but got out of the habit when the Palm came alone. I switched to an iPhone a year ago and it has become an indispensable tool, like "The Book". I believe I need a Mac program that will allow me to use the iPhone like I used my Dayplanner.

My gripe is the cost for such a program. I don't mind if they make a profit. I would just ask that they don't make their entire year's profit off my sale. $180/year is way too high. I can handle a one time payment but I won't pay rent on software. There's gotta be a better way.

Just another brick in the wall. :apple: :D

Well, I was using iGTD that was free on my Mac, and was waiting for the developer to release an iPhone app, then I found out that he started to work for the guys that made Things, and I switched to Things.
Things for the iPhone $10 and Things for the Mac $30, I believe those are the prices, haven't check recently.
It also syncs over wi-fi.

MagiMusi

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Wrote my own software ...

Franklin Covey has a great planning system, however, they have never released a version for the mac and now if you want to use their software on OSX, you have to pay them $15 a month. $180 annually. That is way too much cash since you could buy the software outright for about $100 but your stuck running it on windows, or worse yet Outlook. BOO!

I know the internet is supposed to be everywhere but it's not. So what do you do when you don't have a connection?

They could do better but they are still focused on the PC. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Hi folks,

As mentioned by many, I was also looking for a Franklin Covey PlanPlusTM equivalent for Mac, but since none were to be found, I decided to write my own compatible version.

However, please keep in mind that I am not a professional programmer, and there may still be a few bugs, even though all features have been tested.

The application is currently bilingual, running in English or French, and contains most of the features found in PlanPlus for Windows.

I can email you a dmg file to install it just email me at magimusi.support@gmail.com

The application runs on the Intel platform for Mac, and integrates with the Ical and Address Book. Therefore, if you are using Icloud or Google Calendar, all your devices will also be in sync.

If you create a task or appointment in the 7-Habits application, it will be added automatically to your Ical calendar associated with the different roles you have set within the application.

Every role created can be associated to any calendar set in your Ical. For example, if you have already created a calendar for each of your different roles, no changes are required, the 7-Habits application will adapt.

I have not yet written the help file for the application, but it is very intuitive. The top toolbar is used to set your Mission, Roles and Goals, Daily Planning, etc. It also contains a Weekly Compass, which you can leave on your desktop to stay aligned to what is most important for you in a given particular week.

The left vertical toolbar is there as a reference for the 7-Habits model.

Feel free to share this with your Mac friends, and I welcome any/all feedback on required improvements, as well as for questions on how to use the application.:D

Have fun!

Sylvain
magimusi.support@gmail.com

oavery

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Falling short

I used the paper Franklin Planner system for years. Superb system, the best of its day by miles. When they merged with the Covey organization, the Franklin Planner group declined markedly - got sidetracked into mumbo jumbo and marketing purses, pens and other BS irrelevant to productivity. Sad decline of a group that had been a clear #1 before the Covey merger.

The Franklin Planner group produced ASCEND software for use on the Mac. It did not duplicate the features of the Franklin Planner, was distracted by the Covey BS and most importantly was an unstable, unreliable terrible product. After repeated attempts I abandoned it.

I also tried the Plan Plus software - repeatedly with various versions. Basically worthless. Not a value add to Outlook and again an unstable, unreliable, terrible product.

The failure of the Franklin-Covey group to ever realize the economic value of the creative-user/professional Macintosh user base just is another reflection of the incompetence of their management.

At this point there is a product, Opus Domini, that duplicates a lot of features of the original Franklin Planner system including the best feature - the Long Term Things to Do repository of events, the shifting of TTD from list to the day, the integration of calendar with the Daily Record of Events. Unfortunately it does not have the ability to allow you to just write on the Daily Record of Events in your iPAD and instead requires you to type in the notes. This is just not as convenient. Hopefully they will address this and I can then use it as my primary system.

Instead what I find works is using Outlook for my calendar and contacts on my mac (syncing contacts and calendar to the Mac contacts and calendar on my iPad), OmniFocus as a really superb longterm TTD list and daily TTD list, and use a Note writing application (GhostWriter because they accept my iPen) for my notes. The other thing that was not part of the original Franklin Planner system but that I use every day for document creation is OmniOutliner on the Mac and iPad - just a superb app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.