Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt459

macrumors member
Original poster
the first question i have is about the computer itself. i just purchased a ibook g4. is there any way i have itunes playing but have the computer closed. i would like to be able to carry it around with headphones attached, but it goes into sleep and i cant find any information in the prefrences.

second, i beleive this issue has been addressed, so excuse me if this is redundant. i want to know is i can set up a digital camera as a webcam. i saw this question before, so could someone please redirect me to that thread. much thanks

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
matt459 said:
the first question i have is about the computer itself. i just purchased a ibook g4. is there any way i have itunes playing but have the computer closed. i would like to be able to carry it around with headphones attached, but it goes into sleep and i cant find any information in the prefrences.

second, i beleive this issue has been addressed, so excuse me if this is redundant. i want to know is i can set up a digital camera as a webcam. i saw this question before, so could someone please redirect me to that thread. much thanks

I do not beleive that you can use your iBook as a music player in that fashion. If you can, I sure don't know how and have never heard how to do it. You can use a digital camera as a webcam if it has movie capabilities for sure. But I have no idea where the thread is. You might want to try to do a search for it. If I find it, I'll come back and edit my post.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Closed and running = overheating risk

While there is apparently a firmware hack that will allow you to run the machine while closed, it is apparently a very poor idea. The Ibooks are designed to run open in order to dissipate heat better so running it closed is a risky proposition.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
You cannot close the iBook and have it remain awake. The iBook dissipates heat largely through the keyboard. Having the lid closed prevents this from happening, and the unit would build up too much heat.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
about the camera, i use my sony camcorder as a webcam. i just connect it , and open yahoo messenger, and select 'start my webcam'..that does it..so similar wd be with a digital cam with movie recording capabilities i guess..

cheers

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Daveman Deluxe said:
You cannot close the iBook and have it remain awake. The iBook dissipates heat largely through the keyboard. Having the lid closed prevents this from happening, and the unit would build up too much heat.

The CPU and graphics chip are located under the left hand side of the keyboard and do generate enough heat to be able to feel. However they are attached to a heat pipe which directs the heat out via the hinge vent where the cooling fan is located.

Just because you can feel warmth conducted through the keyboard does not mean that is the intended method of cooling. The "mesh" under the keyboard isn't for airflow, it's the Faraday cage. Apple haven't designed a keyboard venting notebook for several years.

That being said if you wanted to carry it around to listen to iTunes, presumably in a bag it would obviously overheat.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dvdh said:
While there is apparently a firmware hack that will allow you to run the machine while closed, it is apparently a very poor idea. The Ibooks are designed to run open in order to dissipate heat better so running it closed is a risky proposition.

You can read about the firmware hack is located here (hope it's okay to post this?)

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

It is primarily designed to let you drive an external monitor with a seperate display on it ("spanning") instead of just "mirroring" the primary display, but it also allows for closed operation, which it refers to as clamshell mode.

AGAIN, BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT USING THIS!!! :(

Regarding the 2nd question...I believe also that most USB digital cameras that take movies have software floating around for Win that lets you use them for chat...haven't tried Yahoo chat, but anyone know of something for iChat? I know there is this software:

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/configs.html

which lets you use USB webcams...since my powershot has autofocus and so on and a real lens, I'd much rather use it than the dumb webcam that came with my Win PC. :( I s'pose I could get an iSight.....

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
Isn't there a way (in System Preferences, maybe?) to let the computer keep running while the lid is shut? I don't see why Apple wouldn't allow this, because especially if the screen would shut off while the lid is closed but the computer keeps on running--one could save a lot of money (well, maybe 10 dollars a year, max) if this were possible.

I know that with my Dell 600m, I can shut the lid and it will keep on running, and this computer is sooo unbearably hot--after half an hour of using it on my lap, I get burned (no joke, it is very painful).

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Official word from Apple

"You should not operate your iBook (Dual USB) computer with the lid closed." - Apple Support

Kind of wish they would be a little more specific on why . . .

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
Anna said:
You can have it closed per se but you must leave it slightly ajar - just before it goes to sleep

This would be a very bad idea. One jolt while the hard disk is spinning and your ibook is itrash. My advice is to get an ipod or a cd player that plays the discs you burned with your ibook. There are many threads about the "can I still use my apple laptop with the lid closed" question. Try searching for them and you will get more answers than you can handle.

lind0834

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2003
I'd assume, but don't quote me on it. Having the Screen at 90 means there is Air always flowing over the keyboard and trackpad.. and your fingers/wrists are also helping to absorb heat (very small amount). When closed the heat has no where to move to.

Also, could be an issue of where people would keep thier iBooks when doing the closed sleep. If it was on a table, it would probably be OK, but as soon as you would put it in a bag or on a car seat, the cloth really just insulates the iBook against moving the heat away. The first time I used my iBook on a pillow and the Fan turned on I though something was wrong with it, I had never heard the Fan before. I put it back on my desk for a few minutes and the fan turned off.

Anna said:
So why is it any different than having the screen at 90°?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
There was a photo floating around of someone's rev A TiBook which didn't go to sleep once when they shut the lid for the night. In the morning, the poor PB had cooked and the keyboard was half melted.

Newer PBs don't do this because they are also designed for lid-closed operation (only with external monitor, keyboard and mouse).

But the iBook is not. And while, they may have updated the design, it is possible that the original 2001 dual USB design could not cope with this. The iBook G4 is basically an opaque version (with opaque keys too) - I'm not sure if I'd risk it.

Certainly, trying to use a laptop as an iPod is not a good idea in any case. I might be inclined to buy an iPod instead. It would cost you more to replace the iBook if it did cook...

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Ummm run your iBook with a closed lid and say goodbye to both the laptop and Apple's willingness to replace/repair it.
If you wanted the iTunes thing that bad, you should have gotten a powerbook. But if its no problem, just turn down the brightness.

Second question: Evocam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.