Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I ordered an audio/video cable online with the hopes that I could watch my videos that are on my iPhone on my television. It didn't work. I can hear the audio, but see no video.

photo-39.jpg

This is the cable. Has anyone else been able to connect to a TV and watch videos?

OhioLefty

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2009
I ordered an audio/video cable online with the hopes that I could watch my videos that are on my iPhone on my television. It didn't work. I can hear the audio, but see no video.

photo-39.jpg

This is the cable. Has anyone else been able to connect to a TV and watch videos?

I am by no stretch of the imagination an audio/video expert. Just looking at that cable and assuming that your only option with just that cable was to plug it into the iPhone headphone jack (which I think only produces audio out), how would you expect to see any video?

Right now, I think the only option if you have version 3.0 firmware or later on your iPhone, is to purchase an Apple certified cable.

Just curious, what was that cable advertised to work with?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I am by no stretch of the imagination an audio/video expert. Just looking at that cable and assuming that your only option with just that cable was to plug it into the iPhone headphone jack (which I think only produces audio out), how would you expect to see any video?

Right now, I think the only option if you have version 3.0 firmware or later on your iPhone, is to purchase an Apple certified cable.

Just curious, what was that cable advertised to work with?

Well it does have the Video cable coming out of it (Yellow). Looks like an older cable for iPod video or something.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Good question!

I've been searching through my e-mail trying to find a copy of my order and the site I ordered it from. It's been a while so I'm not having luck.

BUT, I just tried using the cable with my 5th Generation Ipod and it works. I don't know why I hadn't tried that before. I can play the videos on my Ipod on my TV. So it's possible the cables was intended for that only.

I thought I could use the Iphone 3GS dock that I bought (from Apple) and plug into the LINE OUT port in the back of it. I guess that was a wrong assumption on my part since the link provided by the other responder above has a statement that reads:

"Important: The iPhone dock does not support TV out."

I tried plugging directly into the iPhone as well and that also did not work.

So it looks like I need to read more of that linked page to figure out what cable I need.

But now that I know it works with my Ipod at least I know I didn't waste the $1.99 that I believe it cost, LOL. I should have known something so cheap wasn't going to do what I wanted it to do!

Thanks for your quick replies!

Cask

Jul 14, 2008
Good question!

I've been searching through my e-mail trying to find a copy of my order and the site I ordered it from. It's been a while so I'm not having luck.

BUT, I just tried using the cable with my 5th Generation Ipod and it works. I don't know why I hadn't tried that before. I can play the videos on my Ipod on my TV. So it's possible the cables was intended for that only.

I thought I could use the Iphone 3GS dock that I bought (from Apple) and plug into the LINE OUT port in the back of it. I guess that was a wrong assumption on my part since the link provided by the other responder above has a statement that reads:

"Important: The iPhone dock does not support TV out."

I tried plugging directly into the iPhone as well and that also did not work.

So it looks like I need to read more of that linked page to figure out what cable I need.

But now that I know it works with my Ipod at least I know I didn't waste the $1.99 that I believe it cost, LOL. I should have known something so cheap wasn't going to do what I wanted it to do!

Thanks for your quick replies!

Apple dropped compatibility for that kind of cable with the 2007 iPod line and iPhone. Previously, the iPod photo, 5G and 5.5 G iPods were able to output video through the headphone port. With the 2007 models (iPhone, iPod Classic, iPod Nano 3G and iPod Touch) compatibility with this cable was broken, and now the devices are able to output video only through the dock connector. You need either this http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB128LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=Nzk2Mjc4NA or this http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=Nzk2Mjc5MQ to output video from your iPhone to your TV, depending on what kind of TV you have and connection you would like to use.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
You can use the old universal dock, and output video through there. Thats what I do right now.

Oh and apple switched which component the video comes out of. So when you use a 3rd party solution (I used my cameras), you had to fiddle with either white or red having the video.

Also there are various AV docks on the net/ebay, so take a look around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.