Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
hello fans of the emac here
i just have a question as i`m realy pleased with my emac , but i found that the new emacs like mine have white speakers inside and the older ones have chrome ones
where is the difference and are they interchangable ?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the earlier eMac's used 35 watt Harmon Kardon speakers, and the later models used less powerful, different brand speakers.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I think the difference is just the covers were put on the later models. They probably realized kids in schools had a tendency to poke at the uncovered speakers, so they just started putting them on.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the earlier eMac's used 35 watt Harmon Kardon speakers, and the later models used less powerful, different brand speakers.

I read this as well. The cones are actually a different colour. The later ones are still surprisingly good though!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
I read this as well. The cones are actually a different colour. The later ones are still surprisingly good though!

indeed they are good speakers , i just thought if the "older "ones are better and if they would be interchangable with the later emac`s :confused:

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm happy with the ones on my late model eMac, but I wouldn't mind having those better ones...:p

As to the OP, it may be possible to change them out. I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but unless they use proprietary connectors it should be possible.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
they are not interchangeable after what i could research ,the older ones (they have plastic resonance boxes attached which go back nearly up to the fan ,which is the reason for the better sound quality)seem only to fit in emacs with nvidia cards not in the ones with ati cards
so unless someone has tried it already with success .....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.