Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evildemon989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Titles says it all. Any updates yet? I thought they said it was going to be released in March back in January? Well it is now almost October people.

IanAtFeral

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Heyhey,

Sadly we had some delays that were beyond our control, so that's why it hasn't appeared yet. Rest assured though that Rome is alive and well! I can't give any dates right now, I'm afraid, apart from 'soon'. Best I can suggest is to keep checking our site for updates.

If you've got any more questions, I'll answer as much as I can!

- Ian

Foop

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
Ian, I've been looking forward to this release for a while. I've got Rome for PC but I'm planning to pick up a Mac copy because it's a great game, and at $30 the price is reasonable. I'm wondering however, will my save games from the PC version work on the Mac version?

IanAtFeral

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
...will my save games from the PC version work on the Mac version?

Hey Foop; Good news! The save-games are compatible. Most PC Rome Mods should work too (they'll probably all work, but there's loads of them, so we don't have time test them all!)

- Ian

Evildemon989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Well, at least I know that it'll come out. I've been waiting on this since I first got news that it would be coming to mac. It's one of the few games that'll run on my GMA 950. :/ At least you guys aren't rushing it out with tons of bugs. :D

IanAtFeral

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Related question: Is there/Will there ever be a Mac version of Medieval Total War (the first one)?

Sorry, we're not porting Medieval: Total War now or in the future (or in the past, but possibly in an alternative universe. I really can't rule that out.)

- Ian :)

I can say with 100% certainty that Feral Interactive fully supports the use of Boot Camp for playing Medieval: Total War. :p

Shucks. Though your penultimate post was clear enough about no Mac port of Medieval 2, I was still hoping for a reply like, "well, it all depends on sales of Rome: TW". ;) Alas, I guess it's not to be.

Good luck with Mac port of Rome: TW! I hope you guys get loads of sales, as you deserve to.

IanAtFeral

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Shucks. Though your penultimate post was clear enough about no Mac port of Medieval 2, I was still hoping for a reply like, "well, it all depends on sales of Rome: TW". ;) Alas, I guess it's not to be.

Good luck with Mac port of Rome: TW! I hope you guys get loads of sales, as you deserve to.

Ah, I was talking about Med I, not Med II! I'm actually not allowed to comment on anything that might conceivably be a port, as it leads to a ton of follow-on questions about every possible game that could possibly be ported ever, and all hell breaks loose! I ruled out Med I as it came out before Rome, so its fairly obviously not a candidate for porting. So far we've never ported a game and then ported a previous game in that series, and I don't expect that'll change any time soon!

Ah, I was talking about Med I, not Med II! I'm actually not allowed to comment on anything that might conceivably be a port, as it leads to a ton of follow-on questions about every possible game that could possibly be ported ever, and all hell breaks loose! I ruled out Med I as it came out before Rome, so its fairly obviously not a candidate for porting. So far we've never ported a game and then ported a previous game in that series, and I don't expect that'll change any time soon!

Thanks for the clarification & apologies for not reading your previous post (& the other guy's post) properly. Your reply makes complete sense.

FWIW, a few years back I'd read on IMG that both Aspyr & MacSoft were originally interested in doing "Rome: TW" (circa 2005/06), but Creative Assembly weren't interested in releasing the code. Back then it was assumed by many that "Rome: TW" would never make it to Mac. Thankfully that assumption was wrong. I'd mistakenly assumed a similar scenario with Medieval 2.

I now live in hope of Medieval 2 one day coming to Mac... though I imagine sales of Rome: TW will weigh heavily in any decision. Regards. :)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
FWIW, a few years back I'd read on IMG that both Aspyr & MacSoft were originally interested in doing "Rome: TW" (circa 2005/06), but Creative Assembly weren't interested in releasing the code. :)

FWIW we were interested in the TW series since Shogun was released. Sometimes things take time and patience :)

Edwin
Feral Interactive

ScottyMacUser

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
Middletown, CT
Way to go guys with getting Total War on a Mac! I've been a Mac user for 17 years and have stayed loyal even though it's hurt my options for gaming.

I hadn't even heard of Total War until a few weeks ago (I'm 38 y/o and out of the loop) but had seen the Decisive Battle series on the History Channel. My wife laughed at me with how excited I got when I saw these epic battles being waged and finally providing a visual I could understand.

I've pre-ordered Rome through your site and can't wait to receive it. I've been online finding out as much as I can about (tutorials, YouTube videos) it so when I get it, I'll be able to jump in and win some battles.

I come from the era of playing with plastic army men when I was a kid so the ability to wage a battle commanding hundreds, even thousands of men and seeing the battle play out really gets me excited.

I know this product has been delayed but I'd rather it be a solid gaming experience that delivers than one with bugs and issues that hurts the experience.

I work at ESPN so I know what goes into development and I'll wait a little extra to receive what I know will be a solid product. Keep up the good work guys and keep on ripping these games out for the Mac. We're a small and often quirky bunch but we're hardcore and know quality products when we see them.

Cheers,
Scott :)

FWIW we were interested in the TW series since Shogun was released. Sometimes things take time and patience :)

Edwin
Feral Interactive

Don't mind waiting a while more, but really looking forward to Rome. Main thing for me is that Macs are getting another native (not Ciderized) port of classic strategy game. In fact, one of the best!

Great that we can still count on you guys at Feral to deliver quality OS X-native ports. With Macs recently seeing significant improvements in graphical capability, hopefully it'll long continue. - Fingers crossed here for Medieval 2 also... maybe one day. :)

mongrol

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
Is there going to be a demo of Rome:TW? It really irks that both Feral and VPLTD hardly put out any demos of games. No demo, no sale.

IanAtFeral

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Is there going to be a demo of Rome:TW? It really irks that both Feral and VPLTD hardly put out any demos of games. No demo, no sale.

Hang on! In the past five years only two of our games haven't had a demo! And TOCA 3 had three demos! :p If we don't do a demo it's because the PC version didn't have a demo either. Usually PC versions don't have demos if the game doesn't lend itself very well to being cut down.

You'll be pleased to know that Rome did have a demo on the PC, so barring any unforeseen issues we'll have one for the Mac too. All of our recent demos can be found at the downloads area on our site. :)

- Ian

Evildemon989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Hmm.... realizing I'm probably not going to get this answer, I'll ask the question anyways..... has the release date been prolonged because of Snow Leopard incompatibilities? :?

Also: Will it have been optimized for SL?

mongrol

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
Hang on! In the past five years only two of our games haven't had a demo! And TOCA 3 had three demos! :p If we don't do a demo it's because the PC version didn't have a demo either. Usually PC versions don't have demos if the game doesn't lend itself very well to being cut down.

You'll be pleased to know that Rome did have a demo on the PC, so barring any unforeseen issues we'll have one for the Mac too. All of our recent demos can be found at the downloads area on our site. :)

- Ian

Thanks Ian. Good news and apologies for my incorrect assumption on Feral's demo policy.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Will be buying. The game is great and actually requires strategy unlike Manu others in the genre. Now if only I can find the time to play (and sleep).

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hmm.... realizing I'm probably not going to get this answer, I'll ask the question anyways..... has the release date been prolonged because of Snow Leopard incompatibilities? :?

Also: Will it have been optimized for SL?

No SL was not a major factor in the delay. The game will be optimized for the Mac so this means it will optimized for all platforms and OS configurations.

The final game will support both 10.5 (PPC and Intel) and 10.6 and the performance should be great on all OS's versions not just SL. The best performance will be on a brand new MacPro using the latest version of 10.6 but it is always the case that the fastest hardware with the newest OS will run a game the quickest.

Edwin

master7000

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
I have been checking on it but haven't seen anything. If you want something close to that buy Legion Arena it is pretty much the same thing but it's not it. It is fun. Although I'm stuck on a level I can't beat.

ghostofnero

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
I've been waiting for this game forever

I was just wondering if it's for sure gonna come out in 2009. I have a mac and don't play a lot of video games but I'm pumped about this one. Of course I'd rather have a quality product than a quick one but I was just curious.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I was just wondering if it's for sure gonna come out in 2009. I have a mac and don't play a lot of video games but I'm pumped about this one. Of course I'd rather have a quality product than a quick one but I was just curious.

I know it might be hard to believe what with all the delays but it will be out and available to buy this year. I don't want to tempt fate with any dates but once we have a date that is 100% I will let you all know and link you to the news.

Edwin

Feral

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.