Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Not sure about any of you, but one big factor in me keeping my iPhone was the accessories that are abundantly available for it. Sound docks, cig lighter w/FM transmitter combo, etc. Still, I would like to know when I get a text message when the phone is docked, since I keep it in a dock at work also to listen to music. Ringtones play either through he dock or full blast through the phones' speaker (depending on the dock), but SMS sounds are very VERY faint or not made at all.

Think Apple will ever change this? I'm sure I'll hear a lot of feedback how I'm whining, go buy another phone then, etc. but I promise to take the OTHER responses seriously.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Is it the dock muffling the noise to a point that it cant be heard, or are you saying its a "feature" or bug that whilst docked you cant hear the tone? Because when my phone is plugged in to the wall via USB, there is no problem for me.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Not sure about any of you, but one big factor in me keeping my iPhone was the accessories that are abundantly available for it. Sound docks, cig lighter w/FM transmitter combo, etc. Still, I would like to know when I get a text message when the phone is docked, since I keep it in a dock at work also to listen to music. Ringtones play either through he dock or full blast through the phones' speaker (depending on the dock), but SMS sounds are very VERY faint or not made at all.

Think Apple will ever change this? I'm sure I'll hear a lot of feedback how I'm whining, go buy another phone then, etc. but I promise to take the OTHER responses seriously.

I can easy hear my two rooms over when mine is in the dock..

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
The dock muffles the sound, and I am 10 feet away from it and can barely make it out. Probably depends on the dock, but if the tone could play through the dock like a voice call then it would be fine. Not sure why it doesn't.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
The dock muffles the sound, and I am 10 feet away from it and can barely make it out. Probably depends on the dock, but if the tone could play through the dock like a voice call then it would be fine. Not sure why it doesn't.

Which dock are you using? Because I can here this one over 40 feet away over a TV and 3 loud computers running very easily.

moviebrain

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
This may not be entirely relevant to your situation, but my iPhone would silence itself when I docked it and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out it's the much older first gen Universal Dock with the IR reciever on the front. While it charges the iPhone just fine, and gives an accessory incompatibility warning, it still can be used to change the line out volume via a remote. The funny thing is that the dock remembers the last setting and will adjust your phone's ringer volume when it is placed in it, and restore to un-docked volumes when removed.

Perhaps this is what's happening to you? It's what was happening to you and I thought I'd share.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
It might be worthwhile plugging it in to the dock, closing all the apps, and turning up the ring volume on the phone. See if that makes a difference, as it has different volume settings for different modes of operation.

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I use the Sony alarm clock/FM Radio/Dock combo, 99.99 at Best Buy. The SMS tone plays, but its so light that I can't here it unless I'm right in front of it. Other than that the dock is great and its 100% compatible. The apple dock mentioned above has holes in the housing where the iPhone speakers are.

Here's a pic of mine:

sony_iphone_alarm_clock1.jpg

moviebrain

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
I use the Sony alarm clock/FM Radio/Dock combo, 99.99 at Best Buy. The SMS tone plays, but its so light that I can't here it unless I'm right in front of it. Other than that the dock is great and its 100% compatible. The apple dock mentioned above has holes in the housing where the iPhone speakers are.

Here's a pic of mine:

sony_iphone_alarm_clock1.jpg

OOOH! You want it to play through the speakers of your Sony dock thing! Well, my phone call sound, email, and sms sounds come through the speakers when I have it plugged in, so maybe it is a unique quirk of your dock?

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Ugh, why are they all different? Why do all docks act differently in at least one aspect, why do SOME car kits not disable the autodim during Navigon, etc etc

That's just silly.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Ugh, why are they all different? Why do all docks act differently in at least one aspect, why do SOME car kits not disable the autodim during Navigon, etc etc

That's just silly.

Yeah, it's crazy when different companies make different products that don't function the same as each other.

Rc1036

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
No idea why this worked. I tried it and it works for me but I suspect you will have to do it each time you dock (v annoying).

1. Dock your phone
2. Select a tune on iTunes (any)
3. Hit play on the dock (not on the iPhone), note this is the important step and it must be play on the docking station you press and NOT play on the iPhone
4. Turn the volume up so it's loud enough to hear (again using the dock not the phone)
5. Receive text message and it should sound through your speakers

Repeat each time you dock, worked for me, this had been annoying me for ages and I have tested all sorts. Hope it works for you all too.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
No idea why this worked. I tried it and it works for me but I suspect you will have to do it each time you dock (v annoying).

1. Dock your phone
2. Select a tune on iTunes (any)
3. Hit play on the dock (not on the iPhone), note this is the important step and it must be play on the docking station you press and NOT play on the iPhone
4. Turn the volume up so it's loud enough to hear (again using the dock not the phone)
5. Receive text message and it should sound through your speakers

Repeat each time you dock, worked for me, this had been annoying me for ages and I have tested all sorts. Hope it works for you all too.

You realize this thread is from 2009 right? I'm sure these guys have figured it out by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.