Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikefly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Hey,

So the soundcard part of my logic board is wonky - and getting much, much worse. The only other issue with the computer is a screen flicker when the screen dims automatically.

Should I replace the logic board? Replace the computer? Another option?

How challenging is it to replace myself? I'm no pro, but have been known to tinker with replacing parts from time to time. (If the risk of destroying it is high, this seems like a bad plan)

I have a C2D 2.0 - (Late 2007 I believe)

If I do replace it:
Do I do so with the identical logic board, or can I upgrade?
How much should it cost?

Thanks!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you surf over to iFixIt.com, they should have step-by-step guides on replacing the different logic boards out there. IIRC, it's fairly involved.

Not sure about the cost. Can't be as much as if you took it to the Apple Store. :D

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
The difficulty of the repair and the cost of the logic board always lead me to advise this:

Sell the machine in its current condition where it'll get more money, like, ebay. Remove the HDD.

Buy another one off craigslist, where things sell for less money.

The mathematical formula always looks like this.

price of new logic board > Price of another macbook on craigslist - Price original sold for

You can sell yours for over $400 with its current problem, and pick up one of equal specification for $500-$550. That is cheaper than the cost of a new logic board, and doesn't require you go through the nonsense of replacing the logic board in your own machine. In a system where nothing is modular, this often becomes the case.

mikefly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
aha

I like this answer.

Have a backup HD, so in theory don't even need to remove it.

I think I can get more than the 400 you suggest - which also means I'll have to pay more for a used machine...

Which suggests I should put up with the issue until it dies and I just get a new machine... which puts me back to square one. Bummer.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.