Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
I attempting to show some student work on a 22" HDTV. I sized the jpegs to 1920x1080 at 72dpi in Photoshop and burned onto DVD. When I viewed it on the TV, the quality was really poor.

I understand that there may be some special settings needed to make this work properly. Anyone know how I can do this? Thanks.

lwmcanada

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
when you are burning to DVD, are you burning as a DVD-Video? Because I may be wrong, but as far as I know, when you burn to DVD, it compresses to standard definition anyways, so you will only get out 720x480 (NTSC) on your tv.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
I just using the standard DVD burner for mac and not seeing any options for choosing a particular format. I just get name/speed.

This is a Powerbook G4 running 10.4.11.

I'm messing with Toast now which does allow me to choose DVD-Video with the choice of NTSC and PAL. PAL what I need? Thanks.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If you need higher resolution, check out post #9 here.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/795640/
You will need some equipment (ie. bluray player). I have no personal experience with this method.

The easiest/cheapest way should be to connect the computer directly to the TV. The DVD's just add one more layer of compression (and potentially resolution reduction).

Where are you located? PAL is used in Europe, NTSC in north america (and a different NTSC in Japan)

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
If it's possible, you could take jampat's suggestion further and borrow a 22" computer monitor from someone. It would be the same, and easier to connect. The only other way is as he suggested, following the forum post and using a blu ray player. Those really are the only options for displaying photos at that resolution.

Also, when you say you sized the jpeg's to 1920x1080, I assume you cropped them to fit that size and didn't just resize them. Resizing them would squish the image, since most camera's shoot photos at 3:2 ratio and you're displaying them on a TV with a ratio of 16:9.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
I'm sorry if I didn't explain properly but this is a 22" HDTV with a built in DVD player which is mounted on a wall.

I've tried sizing the images at various resolutions but they always appear the same size (which is not full screen) and the quality just isn't very good.

I am putting them in Roxio Toast Titanium and making NTSC, high quality, DVD-Video.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
As said previously, if you insist on using the DVD player, you're going to get mediocre results. DVD-video is limited to 720x480 anamorphic.

What kind of TV is it? Does it have an SD card slot? What other equipment do you have? An appleTV? Blu-ray player?

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
I only have the TV with the DVD player. There is nothing else. It's a 22" Toshiba LCD TV/DVD combination.

I am confused as to why a DVD movie looks outstanding on this but a jpeg does not.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I am confused as to why a DVD movie looks outstanding on this but a jpeg does not.
There's probably other reason why this is true, but here's what I think is the issue.

1. DVD compression is optimized for moving images, not still photos.

2. The moving images trick your brain into thinking the images have more resolution than a still photo.

You still haven't answered the question as to what the model number is of the TV. Perhaps you don't have that info, but it can be pertinent. If the DVD player on this TV is anything like my standalone, you may be able to play a slideshow of the photos as JPEGs (data DVD). It may not be as snazzy as slideshow with music and transitions, but the image will probably look better this way.

If this method doesn't cut it, perhaps we can do it in a different way.

Use iDVD's slideshow option. I'm not sure what version you have, but on my version of iDVD that I remember using, you can do pretty snazzy photo slide shows with music and Ken Burns effect and transitions. You work on your slide show with the full JPEG resolution and when you're finished, you burn it as a DVD-video (MPEG). Perhaps this will work better than having two recompression steps (once in photoshop, then again to MPEG-2).

Incidentally, I think your TV is a 720p model, I don't think there are any 22" LCDs that are 1080p.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Thanks for the tips.

You are correct. It's 720. Here's the model: Toshiba 22LV610U 22-Inch 720p LCD TV with Built in DVD Player

I played around this evening with a couple of the images in iMovie and then burned it with iDVD. It doesn't look very good on my mac but I'll give it a try on the TV when I am back on campus.

What I am doing is creating a 1920x1080 Photoshop doc at 72 dpi. I am then pulling in the image, resizing, etc. I save as a jpeg which is then imported into iMovie. It sounds like I might get better results importing the big 300 dpi images? I'll play with that.

I'll know more soon and post how it goes. In the meantime, if anyone has any more tips, I'll be happy to try other methods.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
Are there any special instructions in the manual for how to display JPG's? According to the product page at Toshiba, it does display JPGs, but that page gives no info except 'Check the owners manual'.

There may be some special trick, and that the DVD you're burning is just burning the disc as a 'normal' DVD. A couple of web reviews seem to indicate that it isn't great at displaying JPG's from the DVD player though, so maybe there isn't.

Sorry that's not more helpful.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
The only reference in the manual is this:

"This unit can playback the MP3IWMAlJPEG/DivX®-data which has been recorded on CD-R or CD-RW. To produce
the MP3IWMA/JPEG/DivX®-data, you need a Windows-PC with CD-RW drive and a MP3IWMA/JPEG/DivX®-encoding
Software (not supplied). The Apple-HFS-System cannot be played."

I have no clue what this means.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
The only reference in the manual is this:

"This unit can playback the MP3IWMAlJPEG/DivX®-data which has been recorded on CD-R or CD-RW. To produce
the MP3IWMA/JPEG/DivX®-data, you need a Windows-PC with CD-RW drive and a MP3IWMA/JPEG/DivX®-encoding
Software (not supplied). The Apple-HFS-System cannot be played."

I have no clue what this means.

Just use iDVD to make a slideshow with your original images.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Isn't that saying that you just put the jpegs straight onto a cd/dvd, and you can display them normally? - the tv is just a large photo frame/viewer.
I'd certainly try that before using software to make a dvd slideshow.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Isn't that saying that you just put the jpegs straight onto a cd/dvd, and you can display them normally? - the tv is just a large photo frame/viewer.
I'd certainly try that before using software to make a dvd slideshow.
Yes. That is what I would prefer to do and attempted first. But the jpegs were huge (at 300 dpi) and were taking forever to load.

So I put them into PS and resized but the quality fell off. I assume it has something to do with the combination of size, resolution, and format that Photoshop saves these files or the way the DVD was burned.

Would using a CD be better than a DVD for this sort of thing? I've searched the net for a step-by-step and I haven't found much.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Yes. That is what I would prefer to do and attempted first. But the jpegs were huge (at 300 dpi) and were taking forever to load.

So I put them into PS and resized but the quality fell off. I assume it has something to do with the combination of size, resolution, and format that Photoshop saves these files or the way the DVD was burned.

Would using a CD be better than a DVD for this sort of thing? I've searched the net for a step-by-step and I haven't found much.

This is a little confusing. If you're OK with using the TV's slideshow feature, then just crop the photos to your liking. Don't worry about dpi or whatnot. Just crop to a 16:9 ratio. Use iPhoto if you have it.

If the TV takes too long to load the photos, then you might want to resize them to 1366x768 or higher to keep the file size smaller.

Then, burn them onto a CD or DVD, but make sure you burn them as a data disc. Burning them as a DVD-video will resize (720x480) and compress them. This is what I think you have been doing.

I don't know what the slideshow function of the TV is, but I'm guessing it's not nearly as slick or cool as using iDVD's slideshow.

But maybe it's OK for what you're doing.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Isn't screen resolution close to 72dpi? (I think it is close to this, but this isn't my area, so I could be wrong). I would resample the images in photoshop to 72 dpi, save as jpg and burn onto a cd/dvd and try that. The file size should be drastically smaller with little visible difference on the screen.

Without working at it, any CD/DVD you make should have a readable file system. I didn't even know you could have HFS on a disc, but if they exclude it, obviously something can write it.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
I have been saving them as video and it has been resizing them. I'll give data disc a try.

It sounds you have figured out my error. Many thanks for taking the time to help.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Im going to give a very simple answer since i compleatly understand what is going on.
First off DPI/PPI is meaningless when displaying images on a computer monitor and especially a TV. DPI is only used to represnt how many pixles represent 1 inch on a printout. You can ignore that all together.

Second. You burned a DVD movie which is no larger than 720x480. So your taking your 1080 vertical pixel jpegs and then downsizing them to 480 vertical pixel resolution.

Third. Your quote from the manual
Software (not supplied). The Apple-HFS-System cannot be played"
Its saying that if you burn some jpegs to a cd, the TV can view the pictures as raw files at the full TV resolution. It will do the scaling itself. My samsung HDTV can do that via its USB port. Dont worry about the mac HFS+. Most burning programs dont burn that format by defualt anyway. Also its telling you you can burn a raw Divx (.avi) file and mp3 files and the tv will be able to play them. Kinda nifty.
Fell free to ask anymore questions.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Fell free to ask anymore questions.
Sweet. Thanks for responding.

So, the way I understand you, I can take most any file, drop it into Photoshop, save it at around 1920x1080 (or a big larger) at 72 dpi then burn this onto a CD as data files and the TV should do the rest?

My problem is that I have been burning them as DVD-video all this time.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Sweet. Thanks for responding.

So, the way I understand you, I can take most any file, drop it into Photoshop, save it at around 1920x1080 (or a big larger) at 72 dpi then burn this onto a CD as data files and the TV should do the rest?

My problem is that I have been burning them as DVD-video all this time.

You could technically have your images at 1 DPI. Your DPI count only matters when outputting to print. Otherwise, it has no significance in video, the web, and etc.

To illustrate this, open an image. Now go to Image>Image Size and unclick "resample image." With that unclicked, change your physical size or your DPI number to anything you want it to be. Note that changing one variable automatically adjusts the other. For whatever you have it set at, click OK. Look at your image. Nothing changed. Those numbers you adjusted are arbitrary and only matter if you want to proceed to print. Kept in a digital form, the only numbers to look at are your physical pixel numbers.

Vr6oom

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010

Did you take the 300dpi image, resize to 72, then change the measurement? Or are you just changing the resolution then exporting? Cause changing an image from 300dpi to 72dpi will actually increase the images measurement. All LCD screens are 72dpi as far as I know so therefore you shouldn't loose any image quality unless burning them with in NTSC is the culprit which is what it sounds like.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Did you take the 300dpi image, resize to 72, then change the measurement? Or are you just changing the resolution then exporting? Cause changing an image from 300dpi to 72dpi will actually increase the images measurement. All LCD screens are 72dpi as far as I know so therefore you shouldn't loose any image quality unless burning them with in NTSC is the culprit which is what it sounds like.

You do realise, that this thread is over a year old (10/2009)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.