Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mach42006

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
I'm a long time Windows user, and I am making the switch to a Mac within the next week or two. There is a website that I manage currently on my PC using Dreamweaver (not exactly sure what version--back from when it was Macromedia). With my MBP, I'm going to be picking up the Adobe CS3 Premium Design package, which says it includes "Professional Dreamweaver." I had to have someone help me set the website up initially, and I'm not sure I'd be able to do it again. Will I be able to load all of the web files up on a flash drive and just copy them over to Dreamweaver on the Mac? This is my biggest concern about making the switch :-/ I do hope it's possible to do it seamlessly. And sorry for my ignorance if it's a no-brainer :rolleyes: thanks for your help.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Assuming you have an FTP account on a remote server...

First, transfer the actual files from your PC to your Mac.

Then xxport your site profile in DW for Windows, and import it using DW for Mac.

In Windows:

1. Pull up your "Mange Sites" window.

2. Click the "Export" button.

3. Select "Back up my settings (includes long, password and local paths)."

4. Transfer the file it saves to your Mac.

On your new Mac:

1. Pull up your "Mange Sites" window.

2. Click the "Import" button.

3. Browse to that file, and import it.

You'll need to change your local path(s) to point to your root local folder.

Disclaimer: I've done this between DW CS2 for Win, and DW CS3 for Mac successfully. No idea if it will work with your "whatever" version of DW for Win.

mach42006

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Thanks for the information. Sorry, I should have been more specific my original post...I wasn't at my own computer to check the version. It's Macromedia Dreamweaver MX, so it's pretty old, but it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Thanks for the information. Sorry, I should have been more specific my original post...I wasn't at my own computer to check the version. It's Macromedia Dreamweaver MX, so it's pretty old, but it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks

Same difference, more functionality.

jonnyboi

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009
Dreamweaver on mac

Hi,

i am having trouble with my website. I design my website and upload in to the server. On my mac, everything looks great. I tried the site on a pc laptop and some images were missing. I checked the file name and codes and they are correct. What can i do to fix so that the image will display on the pc too??

jon

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Hi,

i am having trouble with my website. I design my website and upload in to the server. On my mac, everything looks great. I tried the site on a pc laptop and some images were missing. I checked the file name and codes and they are correct. What can i do to fix so that the image will display on the pc too??

jon
It's better if you start your own thread, and please link us your site so that we can check the actual code. It's almost impossible to troubleshoot without any sample code.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I did a search on 'import' in this forum and this thread came up. It's an old thread (if you ignore the 2 unrelated posts from this August) but since it relates to my question, I thought I'd post here.

First some information.

I help support a web site using Dreamweaver 8 on my Windows laptop. I didn't develop the site, I just help support it. The ability to connect to an existing site via ftp in Dreamweaver makes this possible. I download the page, change it and upload it. I want to convert to to using my Mac and have been looking for products that have a similar feature.

I've reviewed several products, e.g., Rapidweaver, iWeb, and none of them do.

Are there any products that support such an Import/ftp feature?

I know I could just buy Dreamweaver CS4 for my Mac, but since I'd be switching platforms, I'm not eligible for the $199 upgrade pricing. Instead, I'd be paying the full $399, kind of steep for just web site support.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Thanks for replying.

Re: Fetch - I have an ftp program. That's all Fetch is, right?
Re: Upgrade to CS4; From the Adobe site "*Upgrade pricing is available only for products listed above and requires a qualifying previous product on the same platform, with serial number." Bolding is mine.:(

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Thanks for replying.

Re: Fetch - I have an ftp program. That's all Fetch is, right?
Re: Upgrade to CS4; From the Adobe site "*Upgrade pricing is available only for products listed above and requires a qualifying previous product on the same platform, with serial number." Bolding is mine.:(

Hi again MikePA

Yes, Fetch is only an FTP program.

When in doubt, give Adobe a call on their 1-800 line.
They're usually eager to sell and were willing to do a cross-platform upgrade when I called them.

A couple of months later when CS4 came out, I just tried my Studio 8 serial number when I bought the CS4 Web Premium Upgrade at the Apple Store and it installed and activated with no problem. I was expecting to have to call up Adobe but didn't.

The Studio 8 disk is labeled as Win / Mac. It had only previously been used on a PC. Yet, the Upgrade worked out for me. i don't know if this is because the Adobe rep had previously set it up or not.

But it sounds like you may be able to do what i did. Call Adobe to make sure and maybe you can save some money.

Good Luck,
Keri

Greenfeather

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Seattle, Washington, USA
installing Dreamweaver on a new computer (Mac Snow Leopard)

I upgraded from an iBookG4 to a MacBook yesterday (Nov. 8, '09). I have DW on my iBook. Today I tried installing DW into my MacBook (inserting the CS3 disk), but got a window saying I have to insert InCopy to continue the DW installation. ??

I happen to have InCopy already installed on the MacBook, so, though I didn't see any connection or logic, I inserted the InCopy disk--and got a window telling me to insert my DW CS3 disk to continue installation. (Didn't I just do that?)

So, okay, I ejected the InCopy disk and reinserted the DW CS3 disk, only to again be told to, instead, insert the InCopy disk. At this point I quit.

How do I get DW installed onto my MacBook? Thanks! (I do not have an Ethernet cable--I am hoping to do this with the disk.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.