Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
I have an iPhone 3G,
I rested all factory settings on my iPhone, (took a very long time)..
When I turn my iPhone back on it only shows the Apple Logo and the loading wheel is turning.. it doesn't stop

I connected my iPhone to my computer and itunes will not detect it..

-Btw, I do not have a warranty anymore.

Any suggestion please?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Put the phone in DFU mode.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

- Plug the phone into the computer with iTunes running.
- Press the power button (aka sleep/wake button, the one in the upper right corner) and then right away press the home button while still holding the power button. Hold both buttons down for 10 seconds.
- After the 10 seconds, release the power button but keep holding the home button.

If it works, then you should see a pop-up indicating that iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode (in Windows, there's also a sound effect from the OS typically to tell you a device has been recognized). You can let go of the home button when you see this. If you don't get this indication, then try again.

Once you get the popup, then click the okay button and then restore the iPhone.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
I greatly appreciate your help,
I followed your directions and now my iPhone works.
Thank you very much!
God Bless You:)

ChiliBlue

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
I have this problem only DFU didn't help. I did the DFU and iTunes did recgonize the phone. However, during the restore I got a blank screen on the iPhone and iTunes says it doesn't recongize the device.

Not sure what to do now....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I have this problem only DFU didn't help. I did the DFU and iTunes did recgonize the phone. However, during the restore I got a blank screen on the iPhone and iTunes says it doesn't recongize the device.

Not sure what to do now....

Can you provide more information about what happened here...

- Is this a 3G, a 3GS, or a 2G?
- Has the phone ever been jailbreaked or unlocked?
- If so, what did you use to do it?
- What version of the firmware was on the phone before it stopped working? Did it stop working after an update or just randomly?
- Did you try putting it in DFU mode again after that and doing the firmware restore again? Did the same thing happen?

ChiliBlue

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
Can you provide more information about what happened here...

- Is this a 3G, a 3GS, or a 2G?
- Has the phone ever been jailbreaked or unlocked?
- If so, what did you use to do it?
- What version of the firmware was on the phone before it stopped working? Did it stop working after an update or just randomly?
- Did you try putting it in DFU mode again after that and doing the firmware restore again? Did the same thing happen?

-3GS
-Never unlocked or broken
-Was trying to update to latest version when I discovered that iTunes wouldn't see the phone
-Yes, did try the DFU again. Got same error message iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured. (1611)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
-Yes, did try the DFU again. Got same error message iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured. (1611)

Hmmm, this is what I would try... use iClarified's set of links (google for "iclarified all iphone firmware" and it should be the first hit) to get the firmware that you used to have on your iPhone, if you don't still have it, and then put your iPhone in DFU mode again, but instead of just clicking restore in iTunes, hold option and click it (Mac) or shift-click it (Windows) and then chose the preious firmware -- 3.1 for instance if that was working. See if that gets the firmware to actually install and bring up the phone, so you at least have a working phone.

Then if you can't get it to update I'd take it to the Apple Store and make them figure it out or replace it.

ChiliBlue

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
Hmmm, this is what I would try... use iClarified's set of links (google for "iclarified all iphone firmware" and it should be the first hit) to get the firmware that you used to have on your iPhone, if you don't still have it, and then put your iPhone in DFU mode again, but instead of just clicking restore in iTunes, hold option and click it (Mac) or shift-click it (Windows) and then chose the preious firmware -- 3.1 for instance if that was working. See if that gets the firmware to actually install and bring up the phone, so you at least have a working phone.

Then if you can't get it to update I'd take it to the Apple Store and make them figure it out or replace it.

I followed you instructions and was still not able to restore the phone.

Loaded up iTunes on my laptop (Windows) and was able to restore the phone to factory settings then update to the latest firmware.

Plugged back into my Mac and brought up iTunes, still doesn't see the iPhone. :(

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I followed you instructions and was still not able to restore the phone.

Loaded up iTunes on my laptop (Windows) and was able to restore the phone to factory settings then update to the latest firmware.

Plugged back into my Mac and brought up iTunes, still doesn't see the iPhone. :(

So, you're saying it works on your laptop, but not your Mac? If so, sounds like you need to reinstall iTunes or even uninstall iTunes and reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.