Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsarethebest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Hi,
I have an album with songs that have different artists. How do you make them into one album, so they aren't separate in coverflow?
Thanx:D

Grey Podder

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
Select all the songs together in iTunes, press Command+I or right click, then click Get Info. Go to the Options tab and change "Part of a compilation" to "Yes".

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,
I have an album with songs that have different artists. How do you make them into one album, so they aren't separate in coverflow?
Thanx:D

Change the "Album Artist" to "Various Artists". Leave the "Artist" tag as it is, with each individual artist there. iTunes uses "Album" and "Album Artist" to match album songs.

Grey Podder

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
Odd that it didn't work. I tested it personally on two compilation albums I have. And contrary to GGJstudios, I have nothing entered in the Album Artist field.

A final place to check would be the Album and Sort Album fields. Any difference, even a stray space, can affect the sorting.

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
Select all the songs together in iTunes, press Command+I or right click, then click Get Info. Go to the Options tab and change "Part of a compilation" to "Yes".

This has never worked for me either. Do what GGJstudios said. That's how I have mine setup and it keeps various artists compilations together.

James

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Odd that it didn't work. I tested it personally on two compilation albums I have. And contrary to GGJstudios, I have nothing entered in the Album Artist field.

A final place to check would be the Album and Sort Album fields. Any difference, even a stray space, can affect the sorting.

The reason the compilation works for you is that you don't have the Album Artist field properly filled out. Using your method, there would be no way to sort by Album Artist. The OP wants to keep albums intact, not to abandon the Album Artist information.

Grey Podder

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
GGJstudios...

Beg pardon, but I wrote that I had nothing in the “Album Artist” field. My Album field is filled in, Album Artist is empty and the songs are set to compilation. Using this setup cover flow displays the album as having Various Artists and correctly groups the songs together.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Beg pardon, but I wrote that I had nothing in the “Album Artist” field. My Album field is filled in, Album Artist is empty and the songs are set to compilation. Using this setup cover flow displays the album as having Various Artists and correctly groups the songs together.

I've corrected my previous post. The facts are the same, whether it's the Album or Album Artist field. iTunes uses Album and Album Artist to group albums. If multiple songs have the same Album and the same Album Artist (with appropriate Sort info, if applicable), the other fields can have anything in them and they will still sort together in Cover Flow.

Grey Podder

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
Well, I'm stumped. The reason I never bother manually entering Album Artist info is because marking them as part of a compilation has always worked. As long as I have the columns in iTunes sorted by either Album, Album by Artist or Album by Year they remain a single entry in cover flow view.

Afraid I'll have to admit defeat on this one. I understand the reasoning behind your method, GGJstudios, although I'm still curious as to why my method works for me but not for the original poster.

Roslyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
Thankyou GGJstudios

I spent 3 hours trying to figure this out, not even apple support could not help me, although they tried - I knew the answer would be something simple but you don't know what you don't know and yes, your fix worked immediately - thankyou so much. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.