Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natmac06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
I have been using Itunes for a while now, recently when I burn CD's that I own into Itunes (so i can put them on my ipod) for a while the file is available to copy to my ipod and play in itunes

But after a couple days or possibly after closing the itunes app, the file is listed in my playlist but has an exclamation mark next to it. when i click on the song to play it in itunes it wont play and an errror message pops up saying-
"THE SONG....COULD NOT BE USED BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL FILE COULD NOT BE FOUND. WOULD YOU LIKE TO LOCATE IT?"

when i do attempt to locate it, it is no where to be found. what is going on? is itunes deleting files without my knowledge? it only happens with CD's ive purchased and then burn onto my comp?

Thanks for any help!

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
when you import the cd, where is the music file kept? Is it kept in the iTunes library, or somewhere else? DO you keep the files on the "desktop"? It is asking this because the files are not in the iTune Music Folder.

natmac06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
ive searched for the files on my HD, i cant find any of them- as if they never existed or i never burned them from the disc?
also i import using itunes so wouldnt they automatically go into the correct or necessary file?

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
ive searched for the files on my HD, i cant find any of them- as if they never existed or i never burned them from the disc?
also i import using itunes so wouldnt they automatically go into the correct or necessary file?

Just so we're on the same page, burning a disk is when you take data from your computer or some other source, and put it on a disk. If you put a CD in your computer and pull the data off, that's ripping.

If you've ripped data from CD's, and iTunes can't find it, go into iTunes preferences and check under Advanced for "iTunes Media Folder Location". That should be the place that iTunes puts the data for you. You might have it set for a networked drive or some other location.

You are correct that iTunes should put it in that location automatically for you.

natmac06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
okay, i am ripping cds. I took your advice and looked in the file location that was used in the advanced setup but still cant find the files there... very confusing. cannot think of what could of happened?

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
okay, i am ripping cds. I took your advice and looked in the file location that was used in the advanced setup but still cant find the files there... very confusing. cannot think of what could of happened?

I'd re-do the process with just one CD. Make sure the files are loaded to the default location, re-boot and see if they are still there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.