Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oshawapilot

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2007
Courtice Ontario Canada
Nope that is smart. But your average user, will not be using time machine

See my earlier comment about lack of pity for those who don't backup. ;)

Data loss happens, either through virus' or situations like this. Just last night at Thanksgiving dinner I listened to a family member reminisce about 2 years of lost digital photos that were cooked when their XP machine was trashed by a virus. I reitterated the absolute necesity of backups to her and she's picking up an external drive this week.

Based on my observations Apple has at least made backups stupid easy and have advertised Time Machine enough that the average OS X user should know about it, and sheesh, it can't possibly be any easier to use.

Therefore, I come full circle about having little pity for those without backups. Even if money is tight you can get a used 500gig external USB drive for $30 or $40 and it'll do the job.

augustm

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
That doesn't even make sense. That implies that all of your files as in your old user account, and you just renamed it, and then un-renamed it. The issue is that the files are DELETED, so they won't be in your user account.

My files were not deleted... However the accounts and files had become
"disassociated". I am an old time Unix user so I actually live 90% of the time
in the terminal. My solution was to re-set the accounts and re-associate the
data to the approriate accounts.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Find an account with no password (using the guest account results in data loss).

Now go to the login screen and click the account with no password, then quickly click on the account that HAS a password. Do this fast enough and you can login to your account without typing your password.

This leaves your keychain locked. But all your data is accessible in this way. If you logged in using the guest account, then upon logging out of your account, you may lose data in your home folder including your Documents.

Can't say why this showed up in Snow Leopard and 10.6.1. If this turns out to be as widespread as I have tested, then disable accounts without passwords until Apple can put out a patch.

Anyone displaying their usernames in the login window didn't care about security in the first IMO. Accounts without passwords? Yeah, that is security.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well, if you are using a system with the guest account enabled, either you need to have a backup of your data, or don't have valuable data on that machine

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
that's something I didn't expect with the OS so far away from the start line :(

I'm glad I don't use guest accounts and that I haven't upgraded to SL.

Backup seems to be the word of the day.

Well I've said it before, the reality is that if anyone installs a version prior to .2 of these releases then that's just signing up to be an Apple beta tester. And obviously it's necessary to prepare accordingly.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
This is not the only data loss, SL is also causing data loss by means of USB and FireWire External drives. What I don't understand is why this is taking apple so long to address this issue. ITS a BIG DEAL

Explain please! I just Googled and found nothing specific except for this post.

Thanks!

-- N

javaJake

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
East Coast, US
I never use the upgrade option. On any OS. I don't trust them (for these reasons, and others) to upgrade properly. It all simplifies down to this: there's never a 1:1 correlation between versions, requiring guesswork and intelligence on the part of the installer.

Rather, I keep a backup from which I can recover my computer within an hour. This means I can "upgrade" by doing a clean install, and then simply start fresh with my backups.

I think whoever uses the "Upgrade" option probably (though not always) doesn't have a good backup system in place.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
This is a big deal and obviously a significant problem. It doesn't matter it requires a particular set of circumstances to trigger it - we're talking about a reasonably standard Mac setup (not one I use, fortunately).

Equally big is the need for regular backups. I don't understand people that don't do this - I've been a programmer for 20-odd years and remember the days when hard drive crashes were not unusual events. But even without hard drive crashes, data corruption and accidental erasure do still happen - and, as we see once again, software is not perfect.

NasserAE

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
Why we are hearing about this now?! This would have been news more than a month ago when SL was released.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
My files were not deleted... However the accounts and files had become
"disassociated". I am an old time Unix user so I actually live 90% of the time
in the terminal. My solution was to re-set the accounts and re-associate the
data to the approriate accounts.

Sorry for the biting response, I thought you were talking about the deleting issue... If SL is doing this, too, that's not good either!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Using the Guest account is extremely rare. You probably wouldn't find anyone doing beta testing on such an account. Whatever was changed in the code for that function was probably believed insignificant, so it wasn't thoroughly tested.

The article mentions a thread that contains 45 posts, most of which aren't from people with this problem, who claim an occasional issue with something that only occurs in a particular method, sometimes but not always. This bug in Snow Leopard is apparently not easy to reproduce, and will not even work on a clean install. So if you were planning on buying a new Mac, this wouldn't even affect you.

It helps to maintain the proper perspective on the issue.

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
This happened to me :(. I lost all data except apps, otherwise, it was like I had done a clean install of SL.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
That doesn't even make sense. That implies that all of your files as in your old user account, and you just renamed it, and then un-renamed it. The issue is that the files are DELETED, so they won't be in your user account.

If one does a du -h on their account to determine whether their inode tree structure shows their root node has been redirected will determine whether the "loss" actually exists or whether it's hidden from the primary account holder due to that pointer mapping losing access, and or it's been renamed without an update visible to the original account holder.

Example: $ du -h

If the size of files hasn't changed and you cannot view the content then the pointer to that content structure has been renamed and gives the appearance that all content has been removed.

SimonJ

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Czech Republic
Why is everyone and their mother voting this negative? The fact that it's gaining notice should mean a greater likelihood of it being fixed (faster)!

iPoodOverZune

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
LOST
Man, you would think, this version was supposed to be tweak and bug fix one, and they would cover all their bases in the two years of development. But it really looks to me that Apple really wanted to make a very thorough and concerted effort to build iPhone platform (nothing wrong with that), leaving no stone unturned, and used much of OS X team resources to accomplish that. Hence, there were limited resources available and limited development on the OS X front, which they covered up by calling it a bug fix and fine tuning update, and selling it for less.

In reality, my feeling is that this was not at all supposed to be a "stop new features and fine tune" but came to be that way as a result of iPhone's gestational nutritional needs. :rolleyes:

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Grasping at straws now? Yeah, the potential for the *latest* backups to be empty (assuming a backup completes after the data loss) is there, but unless you are using a tiny backup drive with only marginal room for a day or three of backups (instead of the weeks/months that is easy with Time Machine and a large backup drive) then there's nothing to worry about.

Actually I wouldn't feel safe with just Time Machine either. I have had problems with Time Machine file corruption and I have done full restores from Time Machine and they have been plagued with problems.

Your best bet is a full backup strategy. Time Machine, Drobo, Cloud, and offsite.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Man, you would think, this version was supposed to be tweak and bug fix one, and they would cover all their bases in the two years of development. But it really looks to me that Apple really wanted to make a very thorough and concerted effort to build iPhone platform (nothing wrong with that), leaving no stone unturned, and used much of OS X team resources to accomplish that. Hence, there were limited resources available and limited development on the OS X front, which they covered up by calling it a bug fix and fine tuning update, and selling it for less.

In reality, my feeling is that this was not at all supposed to be a "stop new features and fine tune" but came to be that way as a result of iPhone's gestational nutritional needs. :rolleyes:
Right, blame everything on the iphone. :rolleyes:

Oshawapilot

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2007
Courtice Ontario Canada
Actually I wouldn't feel safe with just Time Machine either. I have had problems with Time Machine file corruption

I'll admit I've experienced issues with it in the past as well but when I did need it in a large scale once (fresh install on our Macbook) it worked perfectly, and on smaller scales (accidentally deleted files, etc) it's worked as well.

I've found it more stable/reliable since the final updates of Leopard, and rock solid since SL. I did have to start over once when something happened that was irrecoverable (within the first few months of having TM when bugs were plenty), but a new backup built automatically within hours restoring me to a safe status. Since then I've had no issues and my offsite backups add another level of comfort for me.

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
This problem pales in comparison to the FireWire I/O issue that is plaguing many users with external hard drives, corrupting data and preventing copying of large amounts of files.

Apple has yet to acknowledge it nor has MacRumors drawn attention to it on its news page event after 6 pages of user complaints.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2136580

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.