Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlesgregory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
. . . perhaps due to retaining "deleted" iMovie clips which according to the Missing Manual are never really deleted. the Finder now lists 10.9 GB available, when I started with something like 40.3 three years ago.
How can I recover the missing memory?

Thanks!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Well, first of all, no iBook has 30GB of memory. No iBook has even 4 GB of memory. You must be referring to disk space. Have you emptied the trash? Over 3 years you can easily use up a lot of disk space.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
+1 on emptying the trash.. If thats empty, then you might just want to back up your stuff and reformat and install os x. Or since you'll be doing that now would be a good time for an HDD upgrade.

charlesgregory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
I've always emptied the trash...

....so it must be stuff that I've stored on there over the years. Short of looking at all the stored stuff and using a pencil and paper to add up the kb's and mb's listed, is there some other way to get totals?

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Instead of looking through and checking sizes etc. why don't you look through your files and decide on what you can keep and or trash. You would be surprised over time at some of the old garbage files you have collected.

After that check and see if you have gotten any more space and if not its time for a larger HDD for yourself. Back up your stuff and buy a new HDD and install. It may seem like a big task for the iBooks but with ifixit's guide its pretty simple.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hi,

I've used WhatSize in the past to figure out what folders I have that are suspiciously huge. I see that it now has a fee attached to it when it used to be free. Oh well.

s.

1ofthedavids

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Disk Inventory X is good and free, and Daisy Disk is simply beautiful. I opted to buy Daisy Disk because I really like it's interface, and there's a few other options it provides that Disk Inventory X doesn't.

charlesgregory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
problem identified!

thanks for the Daisy info. I got the program and it showed that there area about two zillion applications loaded onto the disk which have left only about 10GB to play with. At least I know where to start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.