Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EK03

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
Ive heard the keybord presses up against the LCD of the new powerbooks, is this correct? I ordered a new 17" powerbook and dont want to permaently damage the screen

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
EK03 said:
Ive heard the keybord presses up against the LCD of the new powerbooks, is this correct? I ordered a new 17" powerbook and dont want to permaently damage the screen

I am playing it safe and have a radtech insert. When you spend thousands on a machine $30 for a decent screen protector seems small change to protect the screen from marks from the keyboard, pad and hand acids.

EK03

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
yeah this is a dangerous rumor, i dont want to waste alot of money for a new screen. Any offical answer?

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Yah it can happen

I have seen a few powerbooks (ibooks seem less susceptible to this) that have about six key imprints in the centre of the screen. It seems more likely to happen on the machines that are carried around frequently. Probably has something to do with pressure on the top a closed pbook pressing the screen against the keyboard.

If you are planning to carry your machine around with you, it would be well worth keeping a screen protector sheet in it (or thin lens cleaning cloth as I do). It will serve well to keep the screen looking fine.

As an alternative, there are also static films on the market to apply over your screen. When these get scuffed up, you simple take them off and get a new one. This option is great if you will be using your pbook in situations where someone is likely to touch the screen. (the name of the supplier escapes me now, but I will update if I find it. . . .)

bhertz

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Columbus, Ohio
From my experience these are not marks from the keys being pushed into the screen. I believe that the marks that you are seeing are the residues left from your typing on the keys. Grease and dirt are then transfer to the screen when the laptop is closed. i have removed this marks simply by cleaning the screen. ***** Be very careful when cleaning because normal cleaners like windex will destroy your screen.****** I have used light pressure with a soft cloth and water. There are also special cleaners available in computer stores.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
yep, 15" TiBook... when you close the lid, to put it to sleep, just let it barely touch, do not actually latch it, unless you are traveling. I've already had it happen to mine

EK03

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
anyone have any comments specifically on the new AlBooks? Ti book comments are welcome but the design is different between the 2

thanks

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
At least for my 12" Rev. B Powerbook, I have had no problems. For traveling, I stick a soft styrofoam sheet between the keyboard and LCD just for extra protection. I think this problem pertains mainly to the 15"ers, but I think they've been resolved.

JOD8FY

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Haven't had any problems with my 12 inch PB (rev. B), and my girlfriend hasn't had any problems with her 12 inch G4 iBook either. Both were purchased sometime in November. Her old G3 iBook had some marks on the screen, but the new one has been fine.

I wouldn't worry about it. Also, when you get it you can take a look at it to check whether there'd be any reason to think the screen would get damaged, then decide if you really need to get anything else.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
big said:
yep, 15" TiBook... when you close the lid, to put it to sleep, just let it barely touch, do not actually latch it, unless you are traveling. I've already had it happen to mine

i actually do that too... right before i got my tibook this guy at starbucks tried to sell me his... it had most of the keyboard imprinted into the screen... i only actually keep the powerbook latched when its traveling in its swanky laptop bag... otherwise it sleeps with the lid down, but not latched...

EK03

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
any 17" users have this problem? i just got my beauty in today and really dont want to mark it up

BaDBoY

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2003
California
bhertz said:
From my experience these are not marks from the keys being pushed into the screen. I believe that the marks that you are seeing are the residues left from your typing on the keys. Grease and dirt are then transfer to the screen when the laptop is closed. i have removed this marks simply by cleaning the screen. ***** Be very careful when cleaning because normal cleaners like windex will destroy your screen.****** I have used light pressure with a soft cloth and water. There are also special cleaners available in computer stores.

true, i get this a lot. its annoying

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
i have a tibook and an albook (both 15") and i can say that while the problem is much smaller in the albook, it's still there. the screen will not stay clean if one doesn't put some kind of protective material in between the screen and the keyboard.

it's nothing i cannot live with, as the problem is a great deal bigger issue with the tibook. this "feature" is a cost of a thin design ;)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Ph4lynx said:
Yes on my powerbook
but only up closest to the hinge and not very much
so i went and bought the radtech and i recommend it to all of my friends

Radtech is cool. Looking forward to using it...one day...

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
Don't worry about it, your system is covered with one year of AppleCare, so Apple will replace your screen if it gets damaged. Anyway, I treat my Dell notebook's LCD display like **** and it still has the same great image quality it did when I bought it.

EK03

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
i still cant believe apple only has a 90 day standard warranty

GroverDoc

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2004
Bronx
Keyboard and LCD covers

There are a few options to protect your keyboard if you are worried, none of them are particularly expensive.

Many companies cell covers which protect from direct contact between the LCD and keyboard in a closed laptop. Also, there are LCD protection sheets made by macally(? i think) that will protect from oils and grease on the LCD. Check out http://www.welovemacs.com, http://www.smalldog.com, or Other World Computing too see what meets your needs.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on any of them because I don't have my powerbook yet.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I have a few marks on my 15" AlBook screen. Just a few, and I think it's from pressing a bit too hard on the lid/display while transporting. No where near as bad as the TiBooks though.

userannon

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2004
I just bought my 12' powerbook two days ago and I use the little foam sheet it came with. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.