Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
Doubt it. Her mom is very computer illiterate. And that's very true. This is obviously a security risk relating to AT&T. This definitely should not be happening.

Have you tried calling ATT?

When I called, I was told there's no problem on their end, even though they were able to confirm my wife sent me 3 MMS messages that were showing up as being sent from a different number on my phone. Hm, ATT doesn't think that's their problem? :eek:

You might be told the same, but regardless, I think the more they hear from us the better (hopefully).

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Have you tried calling ATT?

When I called, I was told there's no problem on their end, even though they were able to confirm my wife sent me 3 MMS messages that were showing up as being sent from a different number on my phone. Hm, ATT doesn't think that's their problem? :eek:

You might be told the same, but regardless, I think the more they hear from us the better (hopefully).

Oh yeah. Last time I called i went from att>att tech support> apple> apple tech support > one level up from att tech support. After all that all they did was tell me to reset network settings. One rep from AT&T blamed Apple obviously. I plan to call them again thursday and give them more information to add to this.

EDIT: Im going to post this on the apple forum later and see if anyone replies.

EDIT2: I havent used google voice / received google voice messages for a few months.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Under settings -> phone -> My Number - Is your number showing up correctly there?

Yes yes yes. Ive never changed that setting.

More info: At first I thought this problem was caused by using a custom profile (to enable tethering / mms) but clearly that is not the case since I dont have one installed anymore.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Yes yes yes. Ive never changed that setting.

More info: At first I thought this problem was caused by using a custom profile (to enable tethering / mms) but clearly that is not the case since I dont have one installed anymore.

Then what about refreshing the actual carrier file?

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Do you mean reinstalling? That cant be the case since Ive been having problems using carrier 5.1, 5.5, and 5.6.

Yeah... My friend had the same issue, and I ended up reinstalling the official carrier file and presto, it worked.

Other than that, this is a tough one... All I can say is a full clean restore (Not from backup)... But there may be other options! I hope for the best man!

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Did someone post on the AT&T facebook page?

Erin Marshall: why is my phone number showing up in text as coming from a number in WASHINGTON when I live in Southern California? my mom got my text but when she responded the number went to someone in WA. Then when she forwarded the text to me I got the text but my number was showing as the 425 area code. what is going on AT&T??

AT&T: Hi Erin, Thanks for letting us know. Happy to help. We need a few more details to look into this for you. Please e-mail us at help@attnews.us with your contact and account numbers. We're also on Twitter at twitter.com/ATTCustomerCare.

I have a feeling this problem is MUCH MORE widespread than we think...

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
My wife or I've never changed number settings either, never jail broken, no custom carrier settings.

The issue seems to have started recently. When I google "iphone mms from number different," and limit the results to within the last week, relevant results come up.

I just called ATT again; while the person was helpful, she was not able to resolve my issue, and was also very surprised to hear about my issue. She was also able to verify that my wife had sent me 3 MMS messages earlier today from her phone to mine, but it showed up as different numbers on my phone. So she acknowledged the problem, but there's no fix.:(

Now to people are having this issue: once the problem started, has it continued to be a problem? Or is it on and off? Ours started this afternoon, so I'm not sure.

Is this why ATT was afraid of rolling out MMS for the iPhone? Wait, is this an iPhone specific issue, or does it happen with other ATT phones?

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
My wife or I've never changed number settings either, never jail broken, no custom carrier settings.

The issue seems to have started recently. When I google "iphone mms from number different," and limit the results to within the last week, relevant results come up.

I just called ATT again; while the person was helpful, she was not able to resolve my issue, and was also very surprised to hear about my issue. She was also able to verify that my wife had sent me 3 MMS messages earlier today from her phone to mine, but it showed up as different numbers on my phone. So she acknowledged the problem, but there's no fix.:(

Now to people are having this issue: once the problem started, has it continued to be a problem? Or is it on and off? Ours started this afternoon, so I'm not sure.

Is this why ATT was afraid of rolling out MMS for the iPhone? Wait, is this an iPhone specific issue, or does it happen with other ATT phones?

This random number problem has happened to me only once, and my GF only once. As for me having random MMS problems (wrong thumbnails shown and sent, receiving MMS instead of text, sms adding text to itself), ive been having those problems since the MMS rollout.

Its not just AT&T. The MMS I sent out was seen wrong by people with Verizon. Thats definitely odd. And even if there is a fix, I think it would take time for AT&T to sort it out. I dont think were going to find a software / hardware fix.

Tarantino

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
Let me share my experiences! My girlfriend sent me an mms last night from her iPhone to mine and it sent from a random (707) area code. Her area code is (559). I sent her a mms and it came from a (415) area code. My area code, (209). Sent another mms to my buddy, who also has an iPhone and it sent to him also from a (415) area code. He sent his brother a mms message from his iPhone and it sent from a (714), his home area code is also (209). None of our iPhones are jailbroken, my phone has the newest carrier update and has 3.1.2 iPhone software. There's do not. Something seems fishy here!

I called the number of some lady who sent wallstreet an SMS with the picture of a kitty. She was confused. She said, "I no send you nothing".

Weird ol' lady.

wallstreet

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2005
California
to those that are having this problem: have you received messages from iChat or Google Voice? In the other thread, there was another person that stated the problem started after getting messaged from Google Voice. My wife's problem started today after I texted her through iChat. Could be coincidence, or not. We need more data.

Both my girlfriend and I both have never used iChat or Google Voice.

Under settings -> phone -> My Number - Is your number showing up correctly there?

The number listed is my correct number. The MMS messages that I have sent out seem to be generating different phone numbers, not just the same generic number each time.

Tarantino

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
Both my girlfriend and I both have never used iChat or Google Voice.

The number listed is my correct number. The MMS messages that I have sent out seem to be generating different phone numbers, not just the same generic number each time.

wallstreet is lying. I've seen them both use iChat and Google Voice.

Also, that old lady called back. She wants her cat picture back. She fessed up.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Tomorrow im going to add the rest of my problems to my first post to see if any of you have had anything similar happen. Plus ill post this to apple tomorrow hoping there are others out there who have this problem, ironically.

ctdavid20

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2009
I'm having a problem too. Sent a MMS to my wife. Both on AT&T. Both iPhones that have never been jailbroken. Her carrier setting have not been updated, mine have the most recent, but not custom. We have 925 area codes and this has happened several times. Each time the incoming number is from a different area code. AT&T needs to fix this.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
I SHOULD have an AT&T rep calling me in 20 minutes. He called me early (contacted him through twitter). Hopefully he listens well...

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
AT&T rep says it could be anything...he has no idea whats going on. He called Apple and they didnt know anything.

Clearly were not going to get very far at the moment. This is definitely not widespread enough.

He was reading my twitter about how my phone was JBed and hes blaming that as the cause. I told him of these reports about how you guys have used non JB updated phone OTB but that didnt convince him. He doesnt know enought about jailbreaking though since he said "if you use whitera1n or purplera1n". He also said I was using pwnangel. Now that I think about it, he must have meant pwnage tool.

The only helpful thing he suggested was using a DIFFERENT computer to restore and set up as new phone so theres no chance of anything carrying over. Im not going to go un jailbroken for an amount of time since I had an SMS problem on 3.0.1

This is OBVIOUSLY a network problem. I may have to go into AT&T myself and see what a store rep has to say...

emc350

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
I think its definitely a AT&T network problem and not just an iphone problem.

I was texting back and forth with a friend who has AT&T when I received a MMS from her from a completely different number. The thing is she has the Nokia e71x on AT&T while I have a Palm Pre on Sprint. We were both baffled and I dismissed it until I saw it mentioned on engadget. I decided to register just to post this reply. To be honest I dont understand how AT&T is number 2 in the nation. Over priced for a 30% call drop rate and slow 3g service. But to each their own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.