Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timdesignguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2004
Hello all - I'm looking for a "blue book" type of source to determine the current valuse of used Mac equipment. I know that at least one exists but can't track it down, and am not sure how quickly the value goes down with age. Any suggestions?

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
timdesignguy said:
Hello all - I'm looking for a "blue book" type of source to determine the current valuse of used Mac equipment. I know that at least one exists but can't track it down, and am not sure how quickly the value goes down with age. Any suggestions?

Both http://www.lowendmac.com and http://www.everymac.com have estimated street prices for basically every Mac ever produced. My other suggestion would be to do an 'Advanced Search' on eBay, and check what prices the equipment you are interested in have been actually fetching from buyers. For the online auction market at least, no price guide will be more accurate than a list of the prices that people have actually been paying.

phillymjs

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Don't bother with online price guides. Like the previous response said, if you want to know the true resale value of your stuff, do your own legwork-- search the completed auctions on eBay. Find five or ten completed items that are most like what you have (in terms of condition, accessories you'd be including with it, etc) and average their final auction prices, and that's the ballpark you should expect to be in.

~Philly

timdesignguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2004
I thought of ebay too. I'm bascially going to use the info to buy my Powerbook 17" and 20" display from my company on my exit (I'm the lone mac guy in a PC world so they won't miss it) and was looking for a basis of it's current worth to make them an offer while still getting a good deal for myself. Thanks for the suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.